Well there is this riff, and i was trying to work out scale is in.
Root: E (open 6th string)

D---------------------------5/6--
A--------------------5-5/7-----7
E-0-0--0-3/5-5/7--------------

Aka the Salute your solution half time interlude "i got what what I got all despite you" bit.

Any Help greatly appreciated!
Quote by Tay-ron
go listen to the sound of grass growing. then play it.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||| My Music
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||
|
Well you have a G, G#, and an A (ie 3 notes in a row).....so it's most likely the blues scale or just the chromatic scale.
I'm sure its not minor because minor is
E Gb G A

but this is
E G G# A

and the blues scale is
E G A A# B
Quote by Tay-ron
||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||
|
No, sir.

The E minor scale is

E F# G A B C D

The E minor pentatonic is

E G A B D

The G# is just a chromatic run in there
E minor = the key.

In scales, I'd say you use Em pentatonic with a borrowed note from the major pentatonic (the major 3rd)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 30, 2009,
Quote by symba05
No, sir.

The E minor scale is

E F# G A B C D

The E minor pentatonic is

E G A B D

that's what I said.
Quote by Tay-ron
||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||
|
Quote by hjaltiga
dorian bebop scale?

Think it's the minor bebop scale. Thanks though. I'll ask my guitar teacher in september.
Quote by Tay-ron
||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||
|
or maybe mixo blues....
Quote by Tay-ron
||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||
|
Quote by Debutante
that's what I said.

You included a Gb which doesn't exist in the scale. But anyway you've got your answer
Quote by Debutante
Think it's the minor bebop scale. Thanks though. I'll ask my guitar teacher in september.

It's just Em pentatonic with a added major 3rd.

Minor bebop scale is a jazz thing and it's context is totally different.

I will explain, cause it's far more then a scale, and has a whole musical concept behind it.

Old Jazz players wanted to play fast licks in jazz improvisations.

This however required faster thinking, and was harder to do.

In jazz (at the time) it was standard to almost always hit chord tones on the down beats, and passing tones on the off beats (has to do with voice-leading)

With a 7 note scale, the notes are uneven, and thus they made the bebop scale to make it even (8 notes).

Here's the main reason why;

G7 chord = G, B, D, F

G Bebop scale has the notes;

G, A, B, C, D, E, F, F#, *G, A etc.

If you play those in straight 8th notes ascending or descending, then you can start on any of the chord tones (G7 chord (dominant)), and you will naturally always hit a chord tone on the downbeats, and passing tones on the upbeat.

*Notice the bolded notes above, to see that the added F# keeps the continuity when going an octave up to the next G.

That way you can never hit a "wrong" note when playing the bebop scale in 1 rhythm when starting on a chord tone ascending or descending.

This made it far easier to improvise with it, and thus it became popular.

This is also the reason, why some jazz recordings, the rhythms are always a bit "Bland" with not much syncopation, and almost only 8ths.

Just like a minor pentatonic scale is popular, because you can hardly hit "Wrong" notes with them.

So no throwing around scale names from your GP scale lists, cause a lot of those scales have an own musical context to go with them

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 30, 2009,
You are just playing a version of the E blues scale, adding the transition from minor 3rd to major 3rd before tagging the root.

The minor 3rd to major 3rd is a classic blues move. Happens ALL of the time and is a great way to indicate that you are going home.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Quote by Debutante
I'm sure its not minor because minor is
E Gb G A

but this is
E G G# A

and the blues scale is
E G A A# B

ARGH! noooooooo!

You can't have a G and Gb in the same scale. E minor is E F# G A...

It is E minor with an accidental, that is the G#. Almost al music has accidentals, just because you know a scale doesn't mean you have to stick rigorously to it. In this case he is just utilising the G# as a passing tone. It is still in Em.

Just as a further note to all those people who seem to get confused as soon asaan accidental gets included - songs are unlikely to change key for only one or 2 bars, then change back again. Just because there are 1 or 2 notes from outside the scale it does not indicate a key change.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Jul 30, 2009,
Ok. I basically teach myself music so I don't know about the rules regarding whether its a Gb or F#..... I learned something new today.
Quote by Tay-ron
||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||
|
Quote by Debutante
Ok. I basically teach myself music so I don't know about the rules regarding whether its a Gb or F#..... I learned something new today.

Basically every standard 7 note scale can't have multiples of the same letter so you cant have a G and a Gb intstead you have a G and an F#
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
Quote by doive
ARGH! noooooooo!

You can't have a G and Gb in the same scale. E minor is E F# G A...
Yes, you can. It would be an accidental.

But, you are right, in that situation it would be an F#. There are plenty of situations where you could have a G and a Gb though. For example, take the C blues scale. C, Eb, F, F#/Gb, G, Bb.

Quote by guitarplaya322
Basically every standard 7 note scale can't have multiples of the same letter so you cant have a G and a Gb intstead you have a G and an F#
Yup, that was probably a way better way of explaining it than how I explained it.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jul 31, 2009,
Quote by food1010
Yes, you can. It would be an accidental.

But, you are right, in that situation it would be an F#. There are plenty of situations where you could have a G and a Gb though. For example, take the C blues scale. C, Eb, F, F#/Gb, G, Bb.

yer you're right, i wasn't really thinking about accidentals/blue notes. just about how E does not go E Gb G....
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
ok i'm really lost. Gb is the same as F#, right? So i was saying the right notes (E, Gb, G) but with the wrong names....? I just want to make sure I'm getting this vaguely right.
Quote by Tay-ron
||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||
|
Quote by Debutante
ok i'm really lost. Gb is the same as F#, right? So i was saying the right notes (E, Gb, G) but with the wrong names....? I just want to make sure I'm getting this vaguely right.

In a diatonic scale, each letter appears once, so you have E F# G.

Gb and F# are different notes, even if they're tempered to the same frequency.
...you could argue that its actually the E mixolydian scale, because the G is actually an unaccented passing note...both times...

I dont mean to confuse anyone though, sorry. All of these scales would probably work with those notes.
To me it seems like the typical bluesy use of the minor pentatonic scale where they often throw in the Major 3rd. ... typically used over a dom7 chord.
shred is gaudy music