Page 1 of 4
I am really getting tired of the Pit's ongoing ignorance regarding this subject. I'm not talking about "boohoo, my lyfe sux cuz mi parentz r ***zz", I'm talking about real, Clinical Depression.

Depression is a disease just like any other. It involves a chemical imbalance in the brain, leading to increased anxiety, emotional numbness, sadness, anger, and in serious cases, suicide.

People with depression do not think rationally. Take this girl who jumped of the bridge because she was "being bullied". The bullies were just added stress to an already terrible depression, and this stress drove her over the edge.

All of you idiots who are calling her a coward obviously have no idea what depression is, or feels like. It is a real disease. They do not choose to do the things they do, it just comes with depression.

Discuss.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Maybe you should have posted this in that thread then?
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
exactly why i was expecting epic lols from a thread titled "depression", i will never know.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Quote by itchy guitar
Maybe you should have posted this in that thread then?

I did, but you see, she's not the only depressed person that commited suicide. Who knew?
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I agree. But sometimes you can just feel depressed. It happens.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Depression iz 4 da weakoz!!! jk

Ive had it for the past few years, it was really disabling, I missed out on alot of my adolecense, Im feeling a bit better now, due to them finally finding me the right meds.
Quote by Wulphy
I did, but you see, she's not the only depressed person that commited suicide. Who knew?

It just seemed that you were ranting on about that specific case.

My view on it? Why should I care? In her head, she thought that death was the logical way out of her problem. If killing herself was what she really wanted, more power to her.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Last edited by itchy guitar at Jul 30, 2009,
You know what's worse than depression?

Philosophy.

Srsly.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by DirtyMakik
You know what's worse than depression?

Philosophy.

Srsly.

I expected the picture of your mad fly hat
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Wulphy
I expected the picture of your mad fly hat

This hat?

Philosophy: How to be depressed... intelligently.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
i agree
but this is the pit, if you have problems with people being ignorant you shouldn't be here
Quote by DirtyMakik

This hat?

Yes. That hat.

Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I know how awful it can be. My dad was diagnosed with it about four years ago, back when I was aroun 14/15 years old, it was truly horrible. It really made my life such a dark place, just seeing what happened to him, how he would act, and how it affected my mum and brother. They were both so distraught by it all, that it was left to me to be the "strong" one, I couldn't show any sign of cracking, too.

Thank God he's getting better.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Wulphy
Yes. That hat.

Who on UG is on antidepressants? (I am.)
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
I think suicide is never justified, and is always the cowards way out. It seems you are saying suicide is ok, if you are depressed anyways.
I once had to deal with the very real clinical case because I was being put on medicine to balance out my ADHD and when I took it, I felt like... well, I don't know what drugs are like, but I'm guessing it's something amazing like that. But every day I forgot to take the medicine was an unending trip down a self manufactured hell-hole. Now, I just stay away from the medicine altogether. When I was missing it, it intensified all the things I hated about myself.
Quote by TheMidasTouch
My sister has clinical depression.

Shes just an ass all the time

I lold
Quote by due 07
I think suicide is never justified, and is always the cowards way out. It seems you are saying suicide is ok, if you are depressed anyways.

Suicide is by no means okay, but the person attempting it is not a coward for doing so.

Quote by DirtyMakik

I am

Quote by Alex Vik
Weird, I was diagnosed with depression yet I kept my head on straight.

Yeah, I got the flu once, and I'm still alive too. Yet, some people who get the flu, get it really bad, and end up dying.

Sound similar?
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Last edited by Wulphy at Jul 30, 2009,
Personally, I don't believe that it is a "disease". The imbalance in the brain is caused (all of this is IMO, obviously) because of our perception of our lives and environment. If you change the outlook on your bad becomings, you can overcome it. I'm down on myself a lot - and if you look at the symptoms, I'm somewhat clinically depressed and so is everyone at one time or another. I think of depression as an emotion that is (easier said than done) caused when we perceive things around us in a negative view - overcome when we point out the good things. More or less an imbalance of optimism/pessimism rather than chemicals in the brain.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
I have a problem with depression, among a couple of other issues. I'm also annoyed with the really juvenile response you get from some UGers if you choose to talk about stuff like this, but it's notlike we can change anything.

Just brush thejm off as ignorant wankers.

Quote by Blow Me
Personally, I don't believe that it is a "disease". The imbalance in the brain is caused (all of this is IMO, obviously) because of our perception of our lives and environment. If you change the outlook on your bad becomings, you can overcome it. I'm down on myself a lot - and if you look at the symptoms, I'm somewhat clinically depressed and so is everyone at one time or another. I think of depression as an emotion that is (easier said than done) caused when we perceive things around us in a negative view - overcome when we point out the good things. More or less an imbalance of optimism/pessimism rather than chemicals in the brain.

There's a difference between psychological depression and biolog[igal depression.

The second has nothing to do with psychology or emotions, it's a chemical problem in the brain that can only be fixed with medication.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Last edited by rabidguitarist at Jul 30, 2009,
Quote by Alex Vik
Weird, I was diagnosed with depression yet I kept my head on straight.

Is this a joke that I'm missing or are you seriously retarded?

Quote by Blow Me

Serious depression is as real as schizophrenia or any other illness of the mind. It robs you off the ability (or will) to alter your outlook.
Last edited by leeb rocks at Jul 30, 2009,
Depression sucks. There is no other way to put it. I do think that suicide is never the answer though. You need to face your problems head on even if it seems to kill you. Taking your own life will do nothing to help you.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Quote by Blow Me

No, no it is not.

Clinical depression is caused by a serious imbalance in the brain, not allowing you to say, "Gee whiz, the world looks so great today!".

It's proven. It is a fact. Your "belief" is wrong.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Blow Me

If I look at a list of symptoms from the DSM-IV on Wikipedia for many illnesses, I've almost got them all. That's why there's people paid loads of money to tell what you actually have, and not what you believe you have.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
I agree that suicide is not cowardly

however I can also see how it really makes people think that,
back when i was in school a girl killed herself right before our leaving cert
Some people who didn't know her well were very pissed off that we were given days off from school when we should have been studying... ie it was selfish of her not to wait another 2 to 3 weeks or so XD ... but then everyone has there own way of dealing with it.

On the note of depression, its usually caused by external problems in a persons life... you don't just wake up one morning and are diagnosed with depression for no reason..
as with everything there is cause and effect... usually high stress leads to it.

I've had some bad times but the saying '**** happens' has gotten me through the bad.
weird but that's life... and if it means there has to be lows for highs then I'll take the lows.... that's life and i want to live it.
Lepracauns Forever!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by DirtyMakik

Im on a mood stablizer(sp) called Lamictal. Ive tried many others but none have worked aswell as this one has.
Quote by Wulphy
No, no it is not.

Clinical depression is caused by a serious imbalance in the brain, not allowing you to say, "Gee whiz, the world looks so great today!".

It's proven. It is a fact. Your "belief" is wrong.

Okay. I'm "wrong". I'm going to jump off a bridge now because that got me down. Maybe it's just so irrational that I can't put a belief in the "disease". My brother was diagnosed with depression and they gave him pills that more or less made a zombie out of him...it didn't help him get over being a recluse, it just made him not give a ****. I talked to my brother about his problems for many lengths of time, and the most progress he ever made was when he perceived the situation differently.

All I'm saying is that the "disease" is not something that is fixed or nullified by medicine - it's usually just something the "sufferer" needs to talk about with someone, and that can make a bigger difference than any medicine I've heard of. Once again...IMO...it's a joke.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by Wulphy
Suicide is by no means okay, but the person attempting it is not a coward for doing so.

Unless you really don't think a human life is important, it is a cowardly thing to do. There are so many ways to deal with any problem you have, "there is more than one way to skin a cat". It's selfish to do, leaving all the people who loved you to feel miserable.

EDIT: Blow Me, I agree with you one hundred percent. My best friend was diagnosed, I just talked to him and slowly over a year and a half he snapped out of it.
Last edited by due 07 at Jul 30, 2009,
Quote by Blow Me
Okay. I'm "wrong". I'm going to jump off a bridge now because that got me down. Maybe it's just so irrational that I can't put a belief in the "disease". My brother was diagnosed with depression and they gave him pills that more or less made a zombie out of him...it didn't help him get over being a recluse, it just made him not give a ****. I talked to my brother about his problems for many lengths of time, and the most progress he ever made was when he perceived the situation differently.

All I'm saying is that the "disease" is not something that is fixed or nullified by medicine - it's usually just something the "sufferer" needs to talk about with someone, and that can make a bigger difference than any medicine I've heard of. Once again...IMO...it's a joke.

Anyone who has looked into the subject objectively can see that a combination of therapy and drugs is usually the best treatment.

And that it is a real disease. You are arguing with 50 years of medicine here.

Quote by due 07
Unless you really don't think a human life is important, it is a cowardly thing to do. There are so many ways to deal with any problem you have, "there is more than one way to skin a cat". It's selfish to do, leaving all the people who loved you to feel miserable.

EDIT: Blow Me, I agree with you one hundred percent. My best friend was diagnosed, I just talked to him and slowly over a year and a half he snapped out of it.

A fairly common affect of depression is leading the sufferer to believe that the people they love would be happier without them. And nothing but serious treatment will convince them otherwise. Is it still selfish if they truly believe it is the best thing for everyone involved?

If someone is planning to commit suicide chances are that their ability to make rational decisions has been compromised. Don't hold them to the same standard you hold yourself.
Last edited by leeb rocks at Jul 30, 2009,
i recognised that i had it about 10 years ago and its still troubling me

it's manic depression like stephen fry has,
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Last edited by guitar-guy01 at Jul 30, 2009,
Isn't it a condition and not a disease?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by PussyPunk182
Isn't it a condition and not a disease?

I would say it varies from person to person. No two cases are the same and whilst some can be treated fairly easily others will stay with and affect the person for the rest of their life.
Quote by DirtyMakik

Interesting philosophy.
Quote by DirtyMakik

I am, baby

I'm also self-medicationg with alcohol, weed, ecstasy, deliriates, and all the legal highs I can digest.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Page 1 of 4