Hey, so I just fixed up my MiM Strat (with a Maple fretboard) with a Seymour Duncan JB pickup, and I run it through a Peavey Classic 30 Combo amp.

I also just changed the strings to Ernie Balls Heavy Bottom Skinny Top 10s

I play pop-punk (mostly blink-182, simple plan, etc)

The tone I get is a bit too thin and trebly. I want to get a beefier sound from it, and I was thinking of changing the pickup to a Duncan SH-5 Custom.

Would that help, or is it more of the amp that's giving me that sound?

Thanks
Gear:
*Mexican Strat with JB pickup
*Focus by Krame with Invader pickup
*Peavey ValveKing 100 half stack
[img]http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/9028/forumsigzz4.jpg[/img]
Boost your mids, reduce treble on the amp and roll off your tone slightly on the guitar.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
play around with the tone knobs and pickup switch on your guitar and also the EQ knobs on your amp.
Also, most people don't realise that Blink 182 is higher gain than you think. Tom Delonge used Invaders and Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectos.
To gain a little more thickness to your sound you could always wire everthing in series, assuming parallel at the moment.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
Quote by ApeWeevil
Also, most people don't realise that Blink 182 is higher gain than you think. Tom Delonge used Invaders and Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectos.

High gain amps don't necessarily ALWAYS put out high gain sounds. The gain's not that high considering it's a recto.
------

Shwiggity.
Might get flammed for this..

I likke my mids scopped, I find it gives me a heavier thicker tone. also, the jb is a treble pickup, so in a strat it would be natrually trebly.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by Baconfish
To gain a little more thickness to your sound you could always wire everthing in series, assuming parallel at the moment.

I actually had paid someone to change the pickup for me, so I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Do you think you could explain this to me, so I can go back and have him fix it up?
Gear:
*Mexican Strat with JB pickup
*Focus by Krame with Invader pickup
*Peavey ValveKing 100 half stack
[img]http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/9028/forumsigzz4.jpg[/img]
He means wiring the pickups in series as opposed to having them wired in parallel. The two coils in a humbucker are wired in series. In a strat (and pretty much any other guitar for that matter) the pickups are wired together in parallel. This only affects the sound when more than one pickup is selected.

For a fatter sound out of a guitar with single coils, the pickups can be wired in series.

This doesn't really apply to you because you'll probably just be using that new JB by itself, and the 2 coils of a humbucker are already wired in series.

What I would suggest is going to guitar center or whatever store you want and trying out a lot of different amps and distortion pedals. The classic 30 is really a low gain amp, and you'll be wanting more distortion than it can deliver by itself.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
With my old C30, before I sold it, I found the tone a bit thin too. I used an OD pedal as a clean boost (volume at max, gain at 0) and it thickened it up a fair bit.
Quote by Andyrew004
Hey, so I just fixed up my MiM Strat (with a Maple fretboard) with a Seymour Duncan JB pickup, and I run it through a Peavey Classic 30 Combo amp.

I also just changed the strings to Ernie Balls Heavy Bottom Skinny Top 10s

I play pop-punk (mostly blink-182, simple plan, etc)

The tone I get is a bit too thin and trebly. I want to get a beefier sound from it, and I was thinking of changing the pickup to a Duncan SH-5 Custom.

Would that help, or is it more of the amp that's giving me that sound?

Thanks

I think you are on the right track switching to an SH-5 Custom. It's not as "high output" as the JB but has a much thicker low end.
Not taking any online orders.
i think that you should buy a seymour duncan sh-8 invader pickup!( Tom Delonge used it in his strat)...
when you put that pickup in a guitar like strat it gives you a nice sound, your guitar should sound thicker and beefier with that pickup...

and if you cant get enough gain from your amp, you can buy an overdrive pedal to get a thicker sound!