I have recently purchased a few starter guitars for myself and my girlfriend. (Both Squire Fenders) I owned a Squire about 7 years ago and gave it away. My girlfriend's starter kit came with a guitar stand - my didn't. I like the stand, it's slick and it seems like the guitar will take a lot less abuse if the stand is used.

Should I worry about getting a second stand for myself or are they over-rated?
They're cheap, easy way to keep your guitar not laying around, makes the guitar an awesome decoration, and it makes you want to play it alot more... I'd say get one :P
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112VCX - Vintage white w/ red tort pickguard
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Vox DA5 Classic
Valencia C-60 Classical
they're handy but your guitar isnt made of glass, and its not like your going to be dropping it on the floor and kicking it around because it doesnt have a designated place.
if you have some money sure get a stand but i wouldnt say its incredibly necessary.
definity get a stand, but if you already have a guitar, invest in a two or three stand guitar, just in case.
If you use one it will stay in better shape and probably stay in tune also, instead of getting put down somewhere getting the tuners knocked around.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
^^ True those 3 guitar stand things are cool. I need to grab one that holds 5.

REally TS, not too big of an issue. Just check your local classifieds or yard sales. They go for like $5 and they're pretty damn cheap in stores as well.
they are nice to have. If you get one, get the kind that holds it by the neck as opposed to the kind that holds it by the bottom and has a support thing on the back. Hard to explain but I had one and my guitar always fell off
I hate my sig
Ok, I'm a newbie when it comes to guitars so bare with me.

They make stands that support multiple guitars? That's cool.

Is there a certain brand of stand that is notable? Should I just get the cheapest stand I can find? I'm not rich but I'm single, no kids, full-time career etc. so I'm not exactly hurting for money. I'd prefer not to spend $1000 when $100 will do. You know?
Quote by ricomoss
Ok, I'm a newbie when it comes to guitars so bare with me.

They make stands that support multiple guitars? That's cool.

Is there a certain brand of stand that is notable? Should I just get the cheapest stand I can find? I'm not rich but I'm single, no kids, full-time career etc. so I'm not exactly hurting for money. I'd prefer not to spend $1000 when $100 will do. You know?

$1000 is ridiculous. $100 is a ridiculous price as well (Maybe not for a five way guitar stand, but for a single one)

Here's a $100 stand that actually looks like something I would want
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Road-Runner-7-Guitar-Stand-Flightcase?sku=457011

Here's a three way one on the cheap
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-Triple-Guitar-Stand?sku=451063

And to keep you going, check out the list here:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/guitar-stands-wall-hangers?N=100001+304490
i think he was just saying that he doesn't want to spend more than necessary. seriously, if you just go to any local music shop and get one of the $5 stands, that'll be pleny sufficient.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
I use a http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hercules-Stands-Single-Guitar-Stand-with-Folding-Yoke?sku=453081 for one of my guitars, but my Strat I leave in it's case. I've got a wild pitbull running around, so I make sure that it's always locked up nice and tight. The top makes it so it doesn't just mysteriously fall off the stand, like some people have had happen.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
If you have a hard case then you dont need a stand
if you dont then a stand would be a good idea
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Thanks so much for the help, guys!

I decided to go with this one.

I'm pretty excited to see how it will look in my living room. I think it's going to end up being a nice decoration too.
I really like Hercules stands, but they are a bit more on the expensive side.....

I also like the way that wall hangers look in a room....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.