So, after 2 years of watching this site, and this site's forum, I finally decided I should make an account as well. Reason for this is the horrible tone I have been getting out of my amp lately.

I have been watching this forum long enough to know Marshall MG's aren't very popular around here. Well, I own a Marshall MG50. To be honest; I don't like it.
I run my Godin LG through a Boss DS-1 or a Boss MT-2 (which I know isn't very popular here either and I totally understand why) and through a Chorus pedal to my amp.

I hate the tone this gives. (No, I do not use the DS-1 and the MT-2 at the same time) I play mostly progressive metal, think Dream Theater, and thus need a very versatile setup.

I have been looking at buying a new amp, I was looking at Mesa stacks, because I think the sound they give is great. I have also tried looking at different distortion pedals, but to be honest I think that will only delay the problem, because I know I am going to buy a new amp sooner or later. I have also been looking at getting new pickups, but I don't have a clue which ones to get..

My question then: Should I get a new amp (recommendations plz.) or should I get a different distortion pedal? And should I get new pickups or not?

Sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance for your help.
amp, no distortion pedal will get a good tone off your mg
also budget so we at UG can give you some epic advice
a distortion pedal will fix the problem of tone in that you will be so excited about the new distortion pedal that you'll forget about the tone problem for about 2 days to a week. if you want the long term solution then try a better amp. i have even heard there are amps out there that don't even need distortion pedals! :P(completely tongue in cheek)

a moded jcm800 or something in the ball park of that may seem optimal. if you are going to get a mesa boogie head, please save yourself some money by not buying their cabinet. i have never been too impressed with their speaker cabinets, they just sound muddy to me, very unclear.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Well, I live in Europe, but my budget would be somewhere between 1500-2000 euro, I might be able to stretch it a bit. I know this is not enough for just the mesa head.. I am saving my money to go for the long term good amp though, it's not a case of getting a new amp tomorrow.

As for gigging, my band is still in the writing phase, we're still busy on writing songs, so we are not even considering gigging at the moment.

Thanks for your replies!
Quote by gumbilicious
a distortion pedal will fix the problem of tone in that you will be so excited about the new distortion pedal that you'll forget about the tone problem for about 2 days to a week. if you want the long term solution then try a better amp. i have even heard there are amps out there that don't even need distortion pedals! :P(completely tongue in cheek)

a moded jcm800 or something in the ball park of that may seem optimal. if you are going to get a mesa boogie head, please save yourself some money by not buying their cabinet. i have never been too impressed with their speaker cabinets, they just sound muddy to me, very unclear.

Looks at sig*

look at post*

Quote by RDSElite
Well, I live in Europe, but my budget would be somewhere between 1500-2000 euro, I might be able to stretch it a bit. I know this is not enough for just the mesa head.. I am saving my money to go for the long term good amp though, it's not a case of getting a new amp tomorrow.

As for gigging, my band is still in the writing phase, we're still busy on writing songs, so we are not even considering gigging at the moment.

Thanks for your replies!

With that kind of budget, I'd get an ENGL Savage or a Brunetti EVO XL. Much better value in Europe than Mesa/Boogie.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
you should definitely get a new amp i had that amp IT SUCKED and dont get boss stuff theyre not so good either
Quote by Raijouta
With that kind of budget, I'd get an ENGL Savage or a Brunetti EVO XL. Much better value in Europe than Mesa/Boogie.

ENGL heads are something you want to look at.

Also I think that Laney would be a great bet. Check out the GH- and VH-series. Amazing amps with awesome gain channel. Also with cool, pretty jazzy cleans. You can also get a nice rock sound out of it. It can do progressive metal really, really well.

I own the Laney GH50L.
Quote by whispertherock
you should definitely get a new amp i had that amp IT SUCKED and dont get boss stuff theyre not so good either

Way to point out the obvious captain dip****. You just trivialized an entire effects company that actually did make good effects 10-20 years ago that are still widely available on the internet, and that still make some good pedals today. Ever heard of a DD-7? Or an SD-1? Or a CE-1?

You sound like a complete idiot, and will get nowhere here if you don't know what you're talking about.

TS, as has been stated before in this thread, Laney GH50Ls and ENGL Savages are your best bet.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Last edited by CullenT at Jul 30, 2009,
Quote by DIFTWOOD
Looks at sig*

look at post*

i do that because people seem to like to come down on me, with that sig i can always say "well i warned ya"
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
How about ENGL Powerballs, are they recommended? They are cheaper over here than the Savage.

Laney Heads are very difficult to get over here, I have only seen them once, not close to where I live, but I will look for them.

Thanks.
whoa people need to calm down.......

anyways, definitely get a new amp. Imo, the DS-1 is a great pedal once modded. with your budget, its definitely worth it to go buy a soldering kit and mod it. For an amp, I would suggest ENGL amps.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by CullenT
Way to point out the obvious captain dip****. You just trivialized an entire effects company that actually did make good effects 10-20 years ago that are still widely available on the internet, and that still make some good pedals today. Ever heard of a DD-7? Or an SD-1? Or a CE-1?

You sound like a complete idiot, and will get nowhere here if you don't know what you're talking about.

TS, as has been stated before in this thread, Laney GH50Ls and ENGL Savages are your best bet.

im just sayin their stuf isnt that good theyre not true bypass and theres lots of other companies that are better
Quote by whispertherock
im just sayin their stuf isnt that good theyre not true bypass

I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
ok you know what I dont wanna be a dick nevermind their stuff isnt that bad i actually happen to own two of their products
Quote by whispertherock
ok you know what I dont wanna be a dick nevermind their stuff isnt that bad i actually happen to own two of their products

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
If you don't want to change your pedal setup ( why ? ) you may want to check out Egnater amps, they are awesome and durable , but I agree about the Mesa stacks, since that's what John Petrucci uses.
POPEYE SQUIRM