my line 6 spider iii just bit the dust, and i have to buy a new amp. i dont want the same amp, and fender's frontman 65r and fm 65 dsp have both caught my eye. im not sure if i want another modelling amp , cause i have my own od and dist pedal. so if anyone has either of these some input would be great thanks!
What is your budget, kinds of music you play, do you play in band/gig, where do you live? Also, what overdrive and distortion pedals do you have?
wow quick reply thanks. Ive palyed for 3 years but i teach myself piano is my main instrument, but im getting better at guitar. i dont have a band and wont gig, but i do jam with friends. i know these amps are big not to gig with, but i want something bigger than and 10". i play rock and metal, mostly metal but im moving onto more rock. i have a boss metal zone and ibanez ts808
i live for that early metallica tone. nothing to crazy, but like scorpions metallica and maiden. my budget is 200 bucks, and yes i know that 65 dsp is 230, but there is a cheaper 25 watt also.
mah rig:
1986 guild t-250 (telecaster)
epi zakk wylde lp(81/85)
modded crybaby
vypyr 30
metal zone mt-1
ibanez ts808
Both of those aren't really any upgrade from your spider. Save for a better amp.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
the 65r isnt an upgrade from the spider iii? what about the spring reverb and its not some ****ty modeled amp like the spider iii. i cry whenever i hear it
mah rig:
epi zakk wylde lp(81/85)
modded crybaby
vypyr 30
metal zone mt-1
ibanez ts808
I went from a 75w Spider III to a 100w FM half stack. The Dist. channel is miles better, but still not quite a valve driven sound. the wattage makes it good for gis though, and Ive had several compliments on my "Tone" from guys with valve units. Its not top dollar, no. But I make it work, and thats the important part.

For 200, get on eaby and find a Roland Cube, or save for a bit and gran a Epi Valve Jr. A good 5w tube head would do you great, and youd love it.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
i checked out that roland cube and it looked sweet. so your saying thats better than the fender 65r i guess? And are the sounds from the roland going to sound like a line 6 or will i be able to use the channels on the amp
mah rig:
epi zakk wylde lp(81/85)
modded crybaby
vypyr 30
metal zone mt-1
ibanez ts808
is a 30w 1x10 gonna be loud enough for not a gig, but like a basement jam with drums?
mah rig:
epi zakk wylde lp(81/85)
modded crybaby
vypyr 30
metal zone mt-1
ibanez ts808
get a peavey vypyr

very cheap and its among the best of the small, practice modelers
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Used 75w Peavey Vypyr would only cost you about $200. I've gigged with one, and it handles it well.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
what do you guys prefer, the vyper or cube?
mah rig:
epi zakk wylde lp(81/85)
modded crybaby
vypyr 30
metal zone mt-1
ibanez ts808
Quote by spazzingbean
the 65r isnt an upgrade from the spider iii? what about the spring reverb and its not some ****ty modeled amp like the spider iii. i cry whenever i hear it

No it really isn't. The Frontman series is just as hated around here as the Spider and is one of the amps that makes up the Trifecta of **** (Marshall MG and Line 6 Spider being the other 2). Save for a Peavey Vypyr. Better than the Cube IMO.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
are there any good solid state states that aren't modeling, or do i have to get a tube if i just want a nice clean and od channel and leave the dist to my pedals?

edit:
and is there any way with these amps (the ss's, like vypyr and cube) to output from their speaker and hook up my 12" 4 ohm from my line 6?
mah rig:
epi zakk wylde lp(81/85)
modded crybaby
vypyr 30
metal zone mt-1
ibanez ts808
Last edited by spazzingbean at Jul 31, 2009,
I had a FM212 and used a MetalZone pedal for dist so I can tell you firsthand that it sounded like garbage.

Vypyr, Cube, or the newer vox valvetronix series. I've never tried the cube, but I own a 12 watt vypyr and wish I had the VT series.

The only thing with the vypyr is that they don't seem reliable. The faceplate pushes in when I put my guitar cable in the jack. Can't complain, it was only $85....

Edit: Where you located? Have you checked your local CL or other classifieds? Go used and you can get something decent for your budget.
Last edited by MetalHead916 at Jul 31, 2009,
so i guess ill decide between the vt30 and vypyr 30
mah rig:
epi zakk wylde lp(81/85)
modded crybaby
vypyr 30
metal zone mt-1
ibanez ts808
Whatever you do, DON'T get a Fender FM. I got rid of mine 2 months ago and couldn't be happier.

Cube, Vyper, or save up and get a low watt tube amp.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
i guess i should start a new thread, but anyways,

i checked out the small tubes, and saw the peavey actv4 and peavey royal 8, both in my price range. it looks like i will be able to get a good natural keef od with the amp and ts808, but how do each of the take pedals
mah rig:
epi zakk wylde lp(81/85)
modded crybaby
vypyr 30
metal zone mt-1
ibanez ts808
Valve amps tend to take pedals very well. For 200-300 bones Youll find some cheap epi valve jr's on ebay, as well as old Peavey Classic 30's.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
thats not a peavey thats a VOX actv4, opps. will the little 4w vox tube take away a pedal?
mah rig:
epi zakk wylde lp(81/85)
modded crybaby
vypyr 30
metal zone mt-1
ibanez ts808
Sell your Metal Zone, then buy a small tube amp. Itll sound great with your tubescreamer.

edit- The AC4 with your TS808 would be amazing.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Last edited by jc349 at Aug 1, 2009,
I had a FM65 dsp and it was a solid amp for sure, but I got a blues jr. to replace it cause I dont like super cleans. Look for a valvetronix, by far the best solid state ive heard and competes with most tube amps
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
can i just buy a head and use my current speaker? its a 12" celestion with 4 ohms resistance
mah rig:
epi zakk wylde lp(81/85)
modded crybaby
vypyr 30
metal zone mt-1
ibanez ts808
but arent celestions "the best" or something i dont know much about speakres
mah rig:
epi zakk wylde lp(81/85)
modded crybaby
vypyr 30
metal zone mt-1
ibanez ts808
^Celestion only has that rep because they have been used in legendary amps for a long time. They are now made in China (some of them at least) and cost $40 more than the Eminence equivilent (just as good quality and sound as Celestion). Don't get me wrong, many Celestions are nice but I don't see the need to buy them when I can get speakers for cheap that will rival and even beat them.

Plus, Celestion makes crap speakers to put into crap amps so the crap amps will sell better because they can say "loaded with specially made Celestion speakers" or some bullshiit like that.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Plus, Celestion makes crap speakers to put into crap amps so the crap amps will sell better because they can say "loaded with specially made Celestion speakers" or some bullshiit like that.

haha, like the epiphone "custom les pauls" that arent even 200.

BUT, if i did get the ac4tv head, it says it only has an 8 ohm output, so i guess that would work with a 4ohm, right?
mah rig:
epi zakk wylde lp(81/85)
modded crybaby
vypyr 30
metal zone mt-1
ibanez ts808
Sell your boss metal zone. Save up a little more money buya b-52 att12 for 350 new.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
60 watt tube is way to big for me. if i do sell my metal zone and buy the ac4tv, would my tube screamer and the amps gain be enough, theres no eq so not for metallia but maiden/scorpions?
mah rig:
epi zakk wylde lp(81/85)
modded crybaby
vypyr 30
metal zone mt-1
ibanez ts808
Boasting Belstaff Jacketswater resistant,windproof,perforance storm hood,Belstaff Outlet variable wool boat, hot in addition to delicate.Belstaff Sale Mexico coats results in being the widely accepted Belstaff Colonial Bagoutside products. Belstaff onlineFor a numberBelstaff 556 of individuals, Belstaff Outletbackpacking and also winter sports, waterproof Mexico Outdoor jackets is best choice.