Page 1 of 3
Look at the similarities....

Epiphone LP Studio

Gibson LP Studio

Is it just me or are those inlays on the Gibson smaller??

To me, I think Epi's are but a pickup swap away from their older brother.
Gear:
Epiphone G400/L6 Spider III 15
Squier CV J-Bass/Acoustic B20
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666
I play hard, like death metal hard

They can be similar.

But at the same time last Wednesday I compared an Epi Standard with a set of Burstbuckers to a Gibson Les Paul Standard. No contest, the Gibson won. Their QC is hell, but they use good enough wood that when they get it right, it's right as hell.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
those gibson inlays are smaller. the epi looks a lot nicer IMO
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Nope. Never. Every piece of the epiphone is made from a lower quality material. tuners, electronics, wood, everything. Mainly because they're budget models made by gibson.
Well... the outside isn't always as important at the inside.
DIfferent wood quality, different wood type are the main differences.
otherwise it's pretty much the same thing.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Wait...are we basing quality, sound, and construction on inlay size now?

Than my Classic must be one of the best guitars ever!
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
*chants*

FIGHT!
FIGHT!
FIGHT!
FIGHT!

Gear:
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666

Its all a matter of luck with gibby...I played probably 5 gibby's at gc one day, and only one of them sounded like anything to be excited about....Epi's dont sound as good as a "well made" gibby, but they usually are consistent with their tone...
Quote by flashmdg
Fender Stratocaster

Hate people like you.

Gear:
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666

When in the hell did epi LP studios stop putting dot inlays!!?!?!

that gibson looks gross, imo.
The Body on the Epiphone looks horrible compaired to the Gibson
Sigs Are For Pussies
am i the only one here who realizes that these similarities exist because EPIPHONE IS OWNE BY GIBSON????
Quote by bmxsulli
am i the only one here who realizes that these similarities exist because EPIPHONE IS OWNE BY GIBSON????

You must be a genius to come to that conclusion.

in the nicest way possible, stop kidding yourself - your epiphone is not as good as a gibson - that's why it cost so much less than a gibson. they look the same, but they are not the same.

The specs themselves are a little different too - the epiphone studio has quite a thin body more like an SG.

Although those are weird inlays on the gibson, i've never seen inlays like that on a gibson before...

Quote by bmxsulli

This would've been big news in the guitar world... in 1957.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 30, 2009,
They're not talking about the similarities, they're talking about the differences that make the Gibson superior to the Epiphone (supposedly).

The headstock shapes are different it seems, and the Gibson appears to have an arched top (which is harder to produce and nicer looking, IMO).
Every part on the gibby is 10% give or take better than the epi, so its just that much better.
Ok in my experience.

Corresponding types (as in Epi Studio compared to GIbson Studio), Gibson always wins.
However, sometimes a higher end Epiphone ($500-700) can compare to, or rarely, surpass a lower end Gibson ($700-900). QC is always sketchy with these two companies in my experience.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
If you compared an Epiphone Elitist and Gibson then they'll a contest lol.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Quote by The Red Comet
They're not talking about the similarities, they're talking about the differences that make the Gibson superior to the Epiphone (supposedly).

The headstock shapes are different it seems, and the Gibson appears to have an arched top (which is harder to produce and nicer looking, IMO).

well, the epiphone also has an arched top.

The differences: just about everything except the looks. the epiphone has a shallower headstock angle, poly finish instead of nitro, thinner body, cheaper wood, the worst pickups in the world, low quality hardware, electronic components.. etc... everything is lower quality, which is why you pay so much less for them. they are run by the same company, why would they charge you that much less for a guitar that was just as good? it would be idiotic.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by ziggymidget
Nope. Never. Every piece of the epiphone is made from a lower quality material. tuners, electronics, wood, everything. Mainly because they're budget models made by gibson.

This.

Also, Epiphone guitars will never be of the same quality as Gibson because Gibson would not allow this. If they started making Epiphone guitars to the same specifications and with the same components as Gibson guitars, nobody would buy Gibson guitars. Very basic marketing at work here.
Quote by jimtaka
This.

Also, Epiphone guitars will never be of the same quality as Gibson because Gibson would not allow this. If they started making Epiphone guitars to the same specifications and with the same components as Gibson guitars, nobody would buy Gibson guitars. Very basic marketing at work here.

+1
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Quote by The Red Comet
They're not talking about the similarities,they're talking about the differences that make the Gibson superior to the Epiphone (supposedly).

Play a nice set up gibson then a nice set up epiphone, if you have any kind of ear to judge tone you will hear that the epiphone pickup's are just pure mud, the epiphone pickup's are way more microphonic, the epiphone neck is different, the epiphone's paint is much more thicker, the wood quality is no contest, IMO the epi's neck is way too sticky, the pot's and switch on the epi make's too much noise, those are some of the difference's between the epi and gibson that show that the gibson would blow that epiphone studio out the water.
Quote by ziggymidget

agreed. it's in gibson's interest to make sure the epiphones are inferior, it doesn't want to cannibalise its gibson sales. EDIT: jim got there first.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you compare the same models ,studio , standard etc 98% of the time the Gibson will be better but that doesn't mean the Epi isn't any good.
The same can be said about American Fenders over the MIM , again doesn't mean MIM equals crap.
Everyone should own an a Gibson L.P. Standard , ES 335 and a Fender Strat and Tele , but alas not everyone can have deep pockets so Epi and MIM will do until one can save up.
eh, just get a japanese copy, if you go with the MIM or epi, by and large, you're almost guaranteeing an inferior instrument (to the full-blown MIA gibson or fender), because you're doing what fender and gibson want you to do...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by darkcheef

Play a nice set up gibson then a nice set up epiphone, if you have any kind of ear to judge tone you will hear that the epiphone pickup's are just pure mud, the epiphone pickup's are way more microphonic, the epiphone neck is different, the epiphone's paint is much more thicker, the wood quality is no contest, IMO the epi's neck is way too sticky, the pot's and switch on the epi make's too much noise, those are some of the difference's between the epi and gibson that show that the gibson would blow that epiphone studio out the water.

Yeah sorry, I said supposedly because I haven't actually tried the two of them, but I assume Gibsons are much better. And I habitually stick qualifiers like "supposedly" or "it seems" everywhere when I write stuff, it seems.
If Gibson was okay with Epi to Gibby quality being the same the Elitist series would still be around. They have to make Epis **** so that the customer will want to spend that extra money and buy a real gibson.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by Blompcube
the worst pickups in the world, low quality hardware, electronic components.. etc... everything is lower quality

Quote by Rhoads_1096
Every part on the gibby is 10% give or take better than the epi, so its just that much better.

Quote by ziggymidget

Sorry to interupt the Kool-Aid sipping, but Epiphones have used higher quality bridges and tuners (real Grovers) then Gibsons for a few years, Gibson only switched to using the nicer bridges Epis were getting in 2009.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
^ (van) yeah, pretty much. you can still get MIJ epis, but they're pretty much only for the japanese market (unless you import). I'm guessing that's because they sell genuine gibbos at a premium over there (plus they're probably more sought-after, you know, snobbery against the stuff made in their own country), and also MIJ stuff is really cheap there, which adds to the illusion that the MIJ stuff is the budget option.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No, the bodies on the Epis are flat and lame feeling. They just are colored differently.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man
No, the bodies on the Epis are flat and lame feeling. They just are colored differently.

Yes, if you're playing a Special! The standard and custom have the same body size and carved top as the Gibson. Just not as good wood.
Moving on.....
Quote by necrosis1193
Their QC is hell, but they use good enough wood that when they get it right, it's right as hell.
Brilliantly phrased.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
I am a cheap ass, so I prefer settling for a decently built Les Paul and a set of Seymour Duncan's (making it a good guitar, not a great guitar) rather than a great Les Paul that is way out of my price range.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I betcha the necks are fat as fat can be on both of them.
um no they're not.
Is it just me, or is the Epiphone Les Paul flat?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Page 1 of 3