Page 1 of 6
That just because I am a "music major" and a musician it doesn't mean that my analysis and opinion is music isn't any more valid than anyone else.

Regardless of the fact that it sounds pompous, understanding music DOES in fact give you ropinion more value when a music discussion is at hand. Someone who doesn't understand music cannot appreciate it as much as someone who hears all the notes and chords being played. Just like, say you may love the night sky, but you will never appreciate it as much as an astronomer who knows how it all works and what all the stars and planets are.

It even parallels to any other career. If you have a conversation with a business major, or psychology major about their field and you tell them, just because you are well taught in this field it doesn't mean your opinion is right. Sorry, but in many cases is just is.

Music is just as much a skill as any other area of study and the only reason people say that it doesn't make you know more about music is because they simply don't get it. Their minds weren't built to fathom music, so they think they are right when they actually will never understand.

The majority of the population will hear a song on the radio and have no idea what is going on with the music, they'll only hear how it "sounds" to them, which is why bands that write generic music and follow a simple formula are the popular ones because this is what people are used to hearing.

discuss.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
nice rant, chose.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
tl;dr
Quote by no_username
^wow, i like hotpunksk8rgirl more than i like you.

Quote by @zzasin
Go to hell Mr. Oven

Quote by bigwillie
You're risking a flaming at the hands of ovarian oven.
I agree.

I am really tired of people asking if my signature is true.

I LIKE THE JONAS BROTHERS. THAT DOESN'T MAKE ME ANY LESS HUMAN THAN THE REST OF YOU.
Exactly, dude.

but i'll say:

cool story, bro.
Ibanez Prestige RGA321SPB
Sure you may know more about a field that is already going to be very subjective because it is an emotional field. What you believe is good music is no more valid as good music than anyone else, even if you are taught in that field.

And honestly... if business majors were right with their opinions of how a business should be run then why are most businesses in shambles.

Now... if we talk about something such as chemistry, a chemist is more likely to be right when they talk because their field is objective. Just because you feel something is going to be a good reaction, doesn't make one that isn't a good one good.
yea but very often an opinion can cross over into the realm of being wrong. for example if someone thinks between the buried and me sounds boring and simple, sure that it their opinion, but its still wrong.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
I agree with you here. Someone who has learnt and is majored in that subject will have a more educated and correct opinion on it then someone who doesn't know very much
I'm a musician and I still listen to things for the sound. I don't analyze every note and chord.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Ehh...

It's really the person's discretion of he/she wants to listen to generic mainstream crap.
I'm married to someone with a masters in music. She may be able to tell what century Gregorian chant is from or the structural patterns of Bach, but her taste in popular music sucks, mostly because she's overly critical of artists who "can't sing."
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by pmeg568c
yea but very often an opinion can cross over into the realm of being wrong. for example if someone thinks between the buried and me sounds boring and simple, sure that it their opinion, but its still wrong.

Reguardless that is their opinion, and music is subjective. Even making music is only subjective.
Quote by XgamerGt04
Sure you may know more about a field that is already going to be very subjective because it is an emotional field. What you believe is good music is no more valid as good music than anyone else, even if you are taught in that field.

And honestly... if business majors were right with their opinions of how a business should be run then why are most businesses in shambles.

Now... if we talk about something such as chemistry, a chemist is more likely to be right when they talk because their field is objective. Just because you feel something is going to be a good reaction, doesn't make one that isn't a good one good.

good point, business was a weak comparison. I understand that what i believe is good is no more valid, im talking more about the aspects of music that are certain, which there are a few of. for example, i got in an argument with some guy the other day about how a band called the carrier is an original band. He said they were not remotely original. But because i know their music, i know that no one else in the genre writes music like they do, and he responded by saying, oh, i thought they just used power chords like every other band. which is false. see what im saying?
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Just because you majored in music doesn't make your opinion more worthwhile than anyone else's, unless it is about something that can be right or wrong.

If your knowledge enables you to prove someone else's opinion factually wrong, then that's what you're granted.

If it is a strict matter of personal opinion where facts and technicalities to not come into play, then no, you do not have a more valid opinion than anyone else.

Edit:

What I mean is, just because I majored in IT/Business Management, I can't say "Oh, your computer sucks," if it's an AMD, as I like Intel. If a computer isn't running properly, and I say "Oh, your computer sucks," well, I'm right, and my degree is further evidence as to why I am correct.

That means that you can't say that the Jonas Brothers are bad if they have a song that has no errors technically, unless they are playing sloppy, or out of key, etc.
Last edited by Grindar at Jul 30, 2009,
I was looking in the pit and saw this thread title over another thread title and it said:

Im really tired of people telling me
why do men have nipples?
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Just because you are a "music major" and a musician it doesn't mean that your analysis and opinion is music isn't any more valid than anyone else.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
When it comes down to it though, it's opinion either way. Whether that's based on knowledge or not.

this.. but TS did phrase it well.. gives it a tad more value, but it depends what you're discussing..

If it's just an opinion about favourite bands, then you can give your opinion, and maybe give more of a strength towards an argument, but it doesn't mean that you will change my mind..
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by pmeg568c

On the relative simplicity mark, maybe, but you cannot tell someone they are objectively incorrect for finding something boring.
Quote by pmeg568c
good point, business was a weak comparison. I understand that what i believe is good is no more valid, im talking more about the aspects of music that are certain, which there are a few of. for example, i got in an argument with some guy the other day about how a band called the carrier is an original band. He said they were not remotely original. But because i know their music, i know that no one else in the genre writes music like they do, and he responded by saying, oh, i thought they just used power chords like every other band. which is false. see what im saying?

That's not really an "opinion," though, as to whether they use power chords or not. That's a statement of fact.
Hi, I'm Peter
Yeah, I agree.

It's made me even more cynical about people. F*ck them and their ignorance though, they're useless.

And yeah it is context-dependent.
Their opinion is just as valid as yours, it's just coming from a different perspective. They might pick up on the whole vibe of the song, while you are trying to analyze the notes and chords. Besides, music is an art, unlike astronomy or business. That's science.
Quote by blue_strat
Depends on the points of the discussion.

this too definitely. And im not saying i don't listen to music for the sound. thats probably the most important part of a song, but people who don't hear the deeper aspects of a song and just like how it sounds are a different story.

and im not braggin about my accomplishments. Anyone who has an ear for music has already accomplished this.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by Dirk Gently
That's not really an "opinion," though, as to whether they use power chords or not. That's a statement of fact.

yea thats kind of what im getting at. musicians opinions about music are very often more factual than non-musicians. Maybe opinion is the wrong word. Maybe statement?
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by blue_strat
On the relative simplicity mark, maybe, but you cannot tell someone they are objectively incorrect for finding something boring.

Indeed.

I disagree with TS. Vehemently. But others have already said it better than I, it seems.
Maybe you know more about chords and keys and stuff; you'll be able to tell what mode someone is playing in and stuff like that. Maybe you'll even be able to tell how skilled the musician is. But that doesn't mean you have a better taste in music than anyone else and have the authority to declare what is good and what is bad. Music is too subjective for that. You like what makes you happy, I like what makes me happy, and everyone else likes what makes them happy. Maybe your opinion of music will be skewed because of your major. But that doesn't mean you are allowed to pass judgment on music and have it be more valid than anyone else (unless of course you are telling someone what key a song is in or something).

In short, stop being an elitist cunt.
kill all humans
opinions are all equal in validity whether you like it or not. that's what makes them opinions.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
again, im talking about the aspects of music that aren't up for discussion. I was incorrect in saying that boredom was one. But there are many objective aspects of music
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
I think its pretty cut and dry. If you know more about music, you know more about music.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Maybe you know more about chords and keys and stuff; you'll be able to tell what mode someone is playing in and stuff like that. Maybe you'll even be able to tell how skilled the musician is. But that doesn't mean you have a better taste in music than anyone else and have the authority to declare what is good and what is bad. Music is too subjective for that. You like what makes you happy, I like what makes me happy, and everyone else likes what makes them happy. Maybe your opinion of music will be skewed because of your major. But that doesn't mean you are allowed to pass judgment on music and have it be more valid than anyone else (unless of course you are telling someone what key a song is in or something).

In short, stop being an elitist cunt.

where did i ever pass judgement or say my music taste was better than anyone else?
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by pmeg568c
yea thats kind of what im getting at. musicians opinions about music are very often more factual than non-musicians. Maybe opinion is the wrong word. Maybe statement?

Well, you may be better at analyzing music, but that doesn't make your ultimate "opinion" any better, since the quality of music is purely subjective. It's like drinking wine with someone who's a wine snob -- sure, they might be able to tell which wine has better legs, is a more respected vintage, is from a higher quality soil, etc., but if it doesn't taste good to me, it doesn't taste good to me, no matter what the underlying facts are.

Personally, it would drive me bat**** crazy to be that analytical when it comes to music; I enjoy it too much from a sensuality standpoint.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jul 30, 2009,
Quote by JacobTheMe
I agree.

I am really tired of people asking if my signature is true.

I LIKE THE JONAS BROTHERS. THAT DOESN'T MAKE ME ANY LESS HUMAN THAN THE REST OF YOU.

I don't like you because you're obviously an attention-twat.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
Quote by pmeg568c
where did i ever pass judgement or say my music taste was better than anyone else?

Read your original post?
Quote by valdean
I don't like you because you're obviously an attention-twat.

Lmao this is turning into the drunken party where everyone says what they really think about each other.
Enjoying music is entirely opinion based; the fact that you 'know more' doesn't make your opinion any better.
So majoring is music is what you've been doing for the past few years?
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde