For a tube headed amp?
I just bought a 60 watt Crate Blue Voodoo,
and Im entirely new to tube amps.
Ive only ever used SS, and with those you can drop
em off your roof and they work fine.
Im just curious if it makes a difference because Ive heard tube heads
are touchy, and I dont want it to sound bad, or explode.

I used searchbar, and searched myself btw....
So if its been asked, my bad, dont be all
"NubbbZZoorz USE SRCHBAR lolololoreportedloloololooll."
Yes it matters. Different cabs are made from different materials, are different sizes, and are ported differently. Not to mention that different cabs have different numbers, sizes, and types of speakers.
A tube headed amp

>.<

Anyways, yes it does matter, as jimtaka said. You also need to make sure the Ohms rating matches up.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
You need to get your watts and ohms right. And probably gonna want it to be a mono cab. Its up to you if you want 2x12 4x12 4x10 etc. Where you would run into problems w a tube amp is wrong ohm load, trying to use a guitar cable to connect your cab or turning the amp on without a speaker load at all. .
So basically with all the Ohms stuff and connecting it, its entirely different from SS then?
Cuz with those, Id use a shoe lace to connect the head to the cab, as long as it worked, aha.

Appreciate the help tons, should make my life a lot easier.
ohm's should match. Wattage of the cab should be greater then the amp's output. Use Speaker cable to connect the amp head to the cab.
Quote by Hobo69
So basically with all the Ohms stuff and connecting it, its entirely different from SS then?
Cuz with those, Id use a shoe lace to connect the head to the cab, as long as it worked, aha.

Appreciate the help tons, should make my life a lot easier.

Ohms still have to match up with SS

And ohms don't connect it. That's a speaker cable. Ohms is a rating that is on every head and cab. Usually 4, 8, 0r 12. If they don't match, you can seriously damage your amp
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Ohms is a unit for measuring impedance or resistance, just as pounds or kilograms is a unit for measuring mass. The ohms rating of a speaker is a measure of how much the speaker's voice coil resists the electric current that your amp sends it. The larger the resistance, or ohms, the more current the speaker resists. So higher ohms means that it takes more energy to drive the speaker. The wattage rating of an amp measures how much the amp drives speakers at a given ohm rating.

On the back of your amp or head, you will see outputs to use for connecting speaker cabs. Each output will have a power rating in watts and one or more ohms rating indicated. Match your cab to your output jack by ohms. Make sure to always use a speaker cable to connect an amplifier to a speaker cabinet also. Do not use an instrument cable.
My Ampeg VT-40 has 2, 4, and 8 Ohms selector.
It's also got 9 tubes, and 7 types of them.
I love my amp.

EDIT: Quick Question,
My VT-40 has a power out thing. It's like what you'd find is a wall, and above it, it says 500Watt max. What is that? Is it for powered speakers or something.
..I was watching my death.
Last edited by timbit2006 at Jul 30, 2009,
Yeah, I knew the whole Ohm thing what with the matching, I never bothered with any of the SS stuff, but to be fair most all if it (cabs n heads) had 8 Ohm inputs, so I always just matched 8 n 8... I never thought it to have any dire consequences though, if I messed it up (which I did a lot on my combo amps).

Although, from what I gather on this, I should really start taking better care of my old equipment....
Glad I asked you guys before I seriousley screwed up the new head, thanks a ton!
As some of you are sure of i'm kinda new to this guitar gear thing and i'm not sure about amp heads... i hear that you can buy an amp head and then just connect it to some speakers if thats the case could i just take the amp head and just attatch stereo speakers too it or is that just ****ing retarded like i think it is....???