I dont mean on the guitar, but with weights maybe...
Like i've noticed my forearms hurt alot as i'm trying to increase speed with a metronome... so i'm using weights to strenghten the muscles, hoping this will help! as well as practising.....

A good idea????

I might get something for the wrists too..... and come to think of it, my back hurts when i'm standing up for a while.
Anybody got any excercises they do to help playing ability???
You should go to the Guitar Techniques forum.

Your fore arm muscles should be doing nothing when you pick.

It's all wrist movement.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
^No, your forearm muscles come in to play ever so slightly, but you shouldn't be playing that hard that you use them enough to make them ache or hurt.

Make sure you're approaching the guitar as loose and relaxed as poissible
Quote by Ikonoklast
^No, your forearm muscles come in to play ever so slightly, but you shouldn't be playing that hard that you use them enough to make them ache or hurt.

Make sure you're approaching the guitar as loose and relaxed as poissible

Not with my playing.

Only to lift my arm up.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Darren, I think you misunderstood, forearm is not the part of the arm that could be used for lifting the arm, forearm is the part of the arm from the elbow to the fist and the muscles in the forearm are responsible for the wrist movement so you definitely use them while playing.
My forearm never hurt when I play...but my wrist will get taxed from time to time.

You hand and wrist muscles do run into the forearm but if you are feeling pain in your forearm you are probably not picking as much with your wrist as you should.

TS - working out is never a bad thing, but if you do use weights to strengthen your forearm make sure that you stretch...A LOT......as when you work out with weights your muscles get very tight, and tight muscles will only hinder your playing.
Quote by XanLa02
Like i've noticed my forearms hurt alot as i'm trying to increase speed with a metronome... so i'm using weights to strenghten the muscles, hoping this will help! as well as practising.....

A good idea????

I might get something for the wrists too..... and come to think of it, my back hurts when i'm standing up for a while.

Chin-ups will address all these areas.

They will increase the strength of your fingers and hands (grip strength), forearm and your back. Your back is sore because the muscles in your back are weak, which leads to poor posture and soreness through placing pressure on muscles that cannot cope.

I didn't start doing chin-ups to get better at guitar, just to help lower back pain. However in addition to fixing the lower back pain it helped me play guitar. Win!
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
One word.

Yoga.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Quote by ivan987
Darren, I think you misunderstood, forearm is not the part of the arm that could be used for lifting the arm, forearm is the part of the arm from the elbow to the fist and the muscles in the forearm are responsible for the wrist movement so you definitely use them while playing.

Yes, but hardly.

Here's a vid of me picking(321kb big);

http://www.box.net/shared/3ivu0r3ip4

Notice I can pick on speed, and move my entire arm around without pauses. (IT goes a lil bit off, because I accidentally pulled my hand away whilst moving my arm).

But you get the point, I use only wrist muscles, and the rest of my arm is totally relaxed.

Sit up on ur chair, and grab the side of the chair, and try to pull up the chair towards your head.

You will see a muscle tensing.

This is wrong, and quite some people use that kind of movement for picking, where that particular muscles tenses.

The most economic movement is like when you throw a ball baseball fashion, and your hand makes a swivel like movement just before you release the ball, to give it some extra power.

That kind of movement, but then sideways is the most economic.

Adding a tiny bit of the "turning-a-key-in-a-lock" movement is not harmful either.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 31, 2009,
Quote by XanLa02

A good idea????

I do.... it's called playing the guitar.

seriously it works.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Yes, but hardly.

Here's a vid of me picking(321kb big);

http://www.box.net/shared/3ivu0r3ip4

Notice I can pick on speed, and move my entire arm around without pauses. (IT goes a lil bit off, because I accidentally pulled my hand away whilst moving my arm).

But you get the point, I use only wrist muscles, and the rest of my arm is totally relaxed.

Sit up on ur chair, and grab the side of the chair, and try to pull up the chair towards your head.

You will see a muscle tensing.

This is wrong, and quite some people use that kind of movement for picking, where that particular muscles tenses.

The most economic movement is like when you throw a ball baseball fashion, and your hand makes a swivel like movement just before you release the ball, to give it some extra power.

That kind of movement, but then sideways is the most economic.

Adding a tiny bit of the "turning-a-key-in-a-lock" movement is not harmful either.

Yes, those kinds of movements are called supination and pronation, I've been playing tennis for years so I have some experience with muscles and I've learned that those are the only moves that actually don't hurt the wrist and don't result in tendinitis if overdone.