Hey Guys/Girls!

So, I've decided what guitar to purchase, now I still need an amp. It will be used for Practising and some band practise. So, I have two questions, one: Tube or Transistor? and two: If tube, what amp?

I was considering a Vox VT15 (180 EUR.) but a Epi Junior is a bit more expensive, but it's tube.

summery:

Home practise and very maybe band practise.
No def. genre, I listen a lot of Brian May, Japan, GNR and some LP.
Guitar: most likely an Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Budget (200-250 EUR.)

please recommend some amps.

Thanks in advance, your help will be greatly appreciated.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Gold Top
Vox VT30
If you need an amp for band practice, you might need something a bit higher wattage than that if it's solid-state.

I'd check out a Peavey Vypyr 30 or the Vox VT30, maybe a Laney VC15 or LC15. Not sure if you can find them in that budget though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
If you need an amp for band practice, you might need something a bit higher wattage than that if it's solid-state.

I'd check out a Peavey Vypyr 30 or the Vox VT30, maybe a Laney VC15 or LC15. Not sure if you can find them in that budget though.

well, can get the eppy junior for about 200 and the vox ac4tv for 250 but the vox vt 15 for 180, so I was just wondering, don't worry about the band thing, I guess it won't matter. Thx tough.
Vox VT30
Quote by darkravers009
well, can get the eppy junior for about 200 and the vox ac4tv for 250 but the vox vt 15 for 180, so I was just wondering, don't worry about the band thing, I guess it won't matter. Thx tough.

I'd the ac 4, better tone, and also better for band practice.
The valvetronix are still great amps though
Quote by Sguit
I'd the ac 4, better tone, and also better for band practice.
The valvetronix are still great amps though

so, does that justify the extra 70 eur.? for the ac4? I mean, will it give a significantly better tone then the VT15? or will it be slightly-ish better?
Vox VT30
I'm not really sure the AC4TV can get GNR tones on its own, and the Valve Junior definitely can't without some modification.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
is 5 watts tube going to be enough for band practice either? I don't gig, but i was under the impression that you normally needed around 15, and that's if you didn't need pristine cleans (assuming that the place in which you're gigging doesn't have PA and won't let you mic up).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by lewisg1
Black heart Handsome devil 15 watt head or combo???? This could be ok for you and its tube and not too expesive. http://www.turnkey.co.uk/product.php?itemid=7852

well, it is in my budget, can it generate the tones I want without modding? Because, A, I don't know **** about tube amps. and B, I can't stretch my budget too far. this is the limit. further than that I won't allow.
Vox VT30
Last edited by darkravers009 at Jul 30, 2009,
T00bZ
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Wel it is a classic rock, british voiced tube amp and ur lookin 4 brain may and GNR so looks like it could be a winner......

anyone got any other suggestions first?

VOX AC15VR
Vintage les paul

Gone digital! NI audio 8 into guitar rig and ableton live!

AWESOME!
Last edited by lewisg1 at Jul 30, 2009,
I agree with the blackheart. Looks like it's good for you. We can suggest some more 5 watts, but most 15 watt tube amps will be higher than your budget.
then I guess the blackheart it will be. Thanks a whole lot. I'm gonna GTFO before I'm beat to ****:P
Vox VT30
Quote by RIPKurt67-94
I agree with the blackheart. Looks like it's good for you. We can suggest some more 5 watts, but most 15 watt tube amps will be higher than your budget.

It is within his budget its gonna be 233 euros but he also needs to bear in mind a cab or using another speaker from an old amp....

VOX AC15VR
Vintage les paul

AWESOME!
Quote by lewisg1
It is within his budget its gonna be 133 euros but he also needs to bear in mind a cab or using another speaker from an old amp....

Well, the Blackheart cabs aren't that expensive, I don't think...
There £130 (not sure on euros) for one to suit this but when i get mine im stripping out my old amp in my combo and using the cone and outside as the cab so this could be a cheaper option if you still have your old one lying around....

VOX AC15VR
Vintage les paul

AWESOME!
well, scratch the blackheart, It still is just too expensive. I guess I'll just have to stick with the vox vt15, what's the main differnce with the old ad vt 15?
Vox VT30
More models, more channels, seperate reverb and generally all round better modeling. Definately better than the ADxxVT series.

Also it has a Brian May model which may interest you
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
If you need clean tone in a band then you need 12 to 15 watts of valve power. If you don't need clean tone then 5 will probably cut it as long as you don't have a heavy hitting drummer. SS amps are a bit different so regardless of whether you need clean or dirty it's got to be around 30 watts to compeat with your average drummer.

I really like the vox valvetronix, peavy vyper, and roland cube 30 amps. If you go valve then you are going to have to up your budget a little. The vj is not going to give you what you want. The lany VC and LC 15 could do it but you will need some FX to be able to get all the sounds you are after. I really think you need more than 5 watts so all the 5 watt valve amps, as good as they are, shouldn't be considered because they just won't cut it in a normal practice situation.
Not taking any online orders.
I heard the VT is hybrid, good or bad? Anyways, guess Vox is my best bet, AC4 too expensice and epi valve junior is an option, only don't know if it's good.
Vox VT30
Quote by stykerwolf
Hybrid amps are pretty much a gimmick, there is one tube in the pre amp that basicly does nothing.

Except in the valvetronix the valve is in the power amp...

Still don't think it does very much though. They are however good amps, regardless of tubes etc.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Hybrids are just a marketing scheme really. I think a laney vc15 would be nice for you, or if you can a blackheart little giant 5 watt combo can do band practice without cleans.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Okay, it's either the Vox VT15 or the epiphone Valve junior Combo. The epi is cheaper, so i'm leaning towards that one a lot.
Vox VT30
Quote by Sampy
More models, more channels, seperate reverb and generally all round better modeling. Definately better than the ADxxVT series.

Also it has a Brian May model which may interest you

Yup.

Also better build and better reliability. I don't think the input jacks fall into the amps on the new Vox series.

I would say go with the VT, but with a band setting try to at least save for the VT30 at the least.

The VT will give you more versatility with sounds/tone than the vj.

Edit: Sorry, you named a budget and I'll go with that. VT15 is my vote.
Quote by MetalHead916
Yup.

Also better build and better reliability. I don't think the input jacks fall into the amps on the new Vox series.

I would say go with the VT, but with a band setting try to at least save for the VT30 at the least.

The VT will give you more versatility with sounds/tone than the vj.

Edit: Sorry, you named a budget and I'll go with that. VT15 is my vote.

Okay, thx I hear it's a great amp, but my question still is, is the vt15 worth the extra 50 euro's compared to the cheaper VALVE amp, the Epip Valve junior. (combo of course)
Vox VT30
Definatley, the epi has just a volume knob (if I remember correctly). I think it's aimed more at people who either have a stack of effects pedals, or people who will mod it. It won't really help you as a player to have nothing to play around with or learn from.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.