Is time to replace my classical guitar strings but I want to know if it is safe to put acoustic steel strings, thanks.
Gear:

-ESP/LTD M-100FM
-Yamaha Pacifica PAC012
-PBS 15Watts Amplifier
-Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah Pedal
-Monster 25ft. Cable
-Dunlop Tortex 1mm Picks
-Dunlop Strap (Heavy Duty)
- Ernie Ball 10-46
No.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
no

EDIT: that is, no in answer to your post, and yes in answer to the thread topic
www.myspace.com/decognition

Guitar Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk||
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
Last edited by viper_mike at Jul 30, 2009,
well, is it nylon from start? 'cause then you'll probably break the neck and/or bridge, because then it isn't built for that kind of stress.
Last edited by Palkom at Jul 30, 2009,
very much not recommended. probably is putting some stress on your neck that you don't want.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Quote by ILLcoyote
What if you only have 2 steel strings on it? My current classical guitar has the A and D strings rocking with steel lol

They aren't steel. They look like it, but instead they are actually nylon wrapped in steel, not steel all the way through like steel strings.

Just get a set of classical nylon strings and you'll be good. Steel strings, however, will damage the guitar.

Happy guitar-ing
Composer of Scores for Film/Video Games/TV/and More!
Contact me if you have a project that you need music of any style for!
The tension added on the neck would cause damage to your saddle, bridge, neck, headstock, and eventually the body altogether. This is not a good idea as nylon and steel strings also bend differently and when you put nylon strings on a steel string guitar, the result is that the strings do not turn properly and will not hold their tuning. They make the strings specifically for different reasons. One is to go on one type of guitar and the other is to go on the other type of guitar. It would not be wise to mix them either as the tension could twist the neck.

Hope this helped!
Quote by lceman13
The amount of ignorance in this thread is amazing.
If consequences dictate, it's only wrong when we get caught - Tool
hhmmm but i don't have the money to be buying strings right now and i want to play my guitar lol Well, I've had those 2 steel strings there since February I think.... guitar is hanging on so far. <-- had no job

@Rechord- I know. But i literally put 2 steel stirngs on mine.'

What if you're tuning is a bit lower than standard? Does that help?

There was also this time when I had all the strings tuned 1 step sharper than standard (because I have no capo, I had to tune up to make up for it). I really wanted to hear the difference and ended up keeping it tuned to.... F i think.. for about a week =P
Last edited by ILLcoyote at Aug 1, 2009,
Restring your nylon string guitar with nylon strings. If you use steel string, you will kill your guitar, and you wouldn't want that to happen, now would you?

Basically, next chance you get, buy some nylon strings, and restring with those.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Take off the steel strings ILLcoyote and put on proper nylon strings. Just because your guitar looks like it's still hanging on doesn't mean it isn't being damaged.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
nope, no deal. It's doing damage to your guitar, take them off.
Quote by ILLcoyote
What if you only have 2 steel strings on it? My current classical guitar has the A and D strings rocking with steel lol

My classical has half and half, top is steel while bottom is nylon, i think it give a very good sound with the B and e being steel
Quote by Watson831Thrash
My classical has half and half, top is steel while bottom is nylon, i think it give a very good sound with the B and e being steel

How long has it been like that? Seriously, steel strings on a classical will ruin the guitar. It may not be obvious right away, but its doing damage to it! Take them OFF!
Last edited by ReChord at Aug 2, 2009,
Don't do it. A few years ago my dad put acoustic strings on an old classical we found in the attic. The neck is really warped, to the point where I don't think its even fixable.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Well basically what you do if you can't afford another guitar, you save that one and do not have half and half. That will not only warp the neck, it will twist the neck. If you have broken a string, you should loosen them all as to avoid the neck twisting. Replace the strings with what the guitar is able to handle.
Quote by lceman13
The amount of ignorance in this thread is amazing.
If consequences dictate, it's only wrong when we get caught - Tool