I was thinking about getting a Peavey Classic 30 but was wondering how must gain you could get on it.

I play stuff from the chili peppers to foo fighters to alice in chains to metallica and megadeth.

If i can't get it the tone for metallica and megadeth from the amp itself what kind of overdrive/ distortion pedals would do the trick?

Budget around 600-700 dollars Canadian. I'm not a huge fan of buying used but am willing to try it if it can get me a nice deal

any extra info would be a great help. thanks.

Edit: i forgot, it will mostly be for home practice (though volume is not a deal with my parents) and small gigs with my band that is just starting up
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Last edited by Century at Jul 30, 2009,
the classic 30 can play most genres well but it will need a good overdrive pedal to be able to play metal
^thanks, what would you suggest? would something like a big muff be able to get the job done?
This lonely view
i used my friend's ds-1 before for a short bit and i was not impressed with it
I'll see if i can get another chance to try it out some more but my first impression wasnt very good
This lonely view
Quote by Divided_Eye
by adjusting everything correctly you can even get metal sounds out of the classic 30, but for an extra push i just use a boss ds-1.

No

If your strapped for cash look at the Digitech Bad Monkey.

If you can afford a little more, Maxon 808, TS9, Fulltone Fulldrive.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
No

If your strapped for cash look at the Digitech Bad Monkey.

If you can afford a little more, Maxon 808, TS9, Fulltone Fulldrive.

yeah i tried the ds-1 but didnt like it too much
im not strapped for cash as i have a part time job with no expenses, just gotta keep some for school you know?
This lonely view
Quote by Century
yeah i tried the ds-1 but didnt like it too much
im not strapped for cash as i have a part time job with no expenses, just gotta keep some for school you know?

They try out the Maxon 808 or Fulltone Fulldrive.

If your not strapped for cash then have you considered saving a bit more and getting a really really really nice amp? Don't get me wrong, the Classic 30 is one of my favorite amps but There's better if you can spend more.
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
well how much more would we be looking at because im not looking into spending all the money i made at once
i dont feel i need a VERY good amp until i develop into a better player to deserve the gear
This lonely view
Quote by Century
well how much more would we be looking at because im not looking into spending all the money i made at once
i dont feel i need a VERY good amp until i develop into a better player to deserve the gear

Then I would say the classic 30 would be a great choice.
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
alright thanks for your opinion and help
out of curiosity what would you have suggested?
This lonely view
I'd get the 30 and hold off on the pedal until you have enough money to get a decent one. the Visual sound Son of Hyde is fantastic with the 30 for metallica style tones.
IMO tubescreamers aren't fantastic on the 30 especially if you want a metal tone. TS would be better if you were after a mild overdrive.
ive got a classic 50,and its a sweet little bugger...the 30 should be a pretty good little amp
Quote by Noob__Guitarist
I'd get the 30 and hold off on the pedal until you have enough money to get a decent one. the Visual sound Son of Hyde is fantastic with the 30 for metallica style tones.
IMO tubescreamers aren't fantastic on the 30 especially if you want a metal tone. TS would be better if you were after a mild overdrive.

a mild overdrive such as?

also what are the major differences between the 50 and 30 watt versions?
is it worth paying more for the 50?
This lonely view
Last edited by Century at Jul 30, 2009,
Where in Canada (providence) are you located. Also, when you say Metallica tone, which tone are you referring two?
The province i am in is Ontario, live near Toronto
i like the older metallica sound i guess, like master of puppets and earlier
This lonely view
Quote by Century
a mild overdrive such as?

also what are the major differences between the 50 and 30 watt versions?
is it worth paying more for the 50?

mild as in blues to hard rock. What I meant was, using a tubescreamer won't turn the 30 (or 50) into a metal amp, you'll want a heavier distortion pedal than a tubescreamer.

50 vs 30, you have:
more watts (louder)
bright/normal inputs (vs the 30 that only has normal inputs)
Presence control
volume on both chanels (vs the 30 which has vol for clean and only pre/post for the gain chan)
the 50w is fan cooled vs the 30 which is passive (no fan) cooled
and probably most importantly, the 50w comes in 2x12" speakers or 4x10" speakers, and the 30 has 1x12" speaker.
I'm looking for a good metal distortion pedal for my classic 30 as well, i have been using a satchurater which has taken pretty well, but i cant take the tone past 9 o'clock because it sounds like crap.

I have been looking at these as replacement:

Doomsday Device
http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=1673&CategoryID=11

Box of Metal (they make cheaper non-handpainted ones, but still dont know if they are worth the price)
http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=519&CategoryID=11

or maybe a metal muff? I've tried the DS-1 in my classic, wasnt impressed. Any opinions/suggestions?
classic 30 is a mid gain type amp. its a clone of the vox ac30. use a boost and you'll hit heavy metal territory.
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
I've got some clips in my profile of how heavy it can get. I play some modern metal syuff on it. If you get a good overdrive though, you'll probably need a noise gate. I have a lot of noise problems when I use that much gain with the C30
Big muff is pretty good,but maybe not for Metallica/megadeth tones.
Much more suited to that big,fat,full kind of rythym sound.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
My Classic 30 had more than enough gain for modern metal. The only thing that it doesn't have compared to a metal amp, is saturation. IMO, the C30 sounds just fine for metal by itself, but I also like a very bright tone, add an OD and you'll get a little more lowend and beefier palm mutes.

Also, I'd really check into the C50s. For some reason, C50s seem to sell a hell of a lot cheaper here than the C30 does used, I don't get it. You can pick up a 2x12 or 4x10 C50 for like $200-250 here, but a C30 is $300-400. The hell?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com