As you may know, there are many different styles of neck shapes. (C, D, U, V...)

What are the pros and cons for each neck, and some examples of models with that neck?

Go for it!
Gear

Epiphone les paul Standard (sunburst)

Crate Vintage Club 50

Ibanez TS9 (Turbo Version?)

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
I don't think there is a pro or con...just personal prefrence. Or you could use the search bar.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
God I hate when people ask for the pro's and con's of something, there are not any. It's what YOU like the most, it's preferences. One amp isn't better then any other, unless your asking yourself what you think is better, not the general consensus of a forum community.
Haha...wow. I'm not looking to buy a guitar.
I just wanted to know which felt thinner/fatter---fast/chunky.
And I am still curious as to what models of well known guitars use as necks?
Gear

Epiphone les paul Standard (sunburst)

Crate Vintage Club 50

Ibanez TS9 (Turbo Version?)

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
Well D is most often found on Gibson and Epi's and are veryyy big around. I hate them.
C necks are usually pretty thin and rounded. Can be narrow
Flat U is shaped like a U, but is very thin and flat. Usually kinda wide.
U is usually fat and the sides are straight and is rounded.
V I've never heard of.

All I know is that Dean, Gretsch and Schecter guitars have awesome necks. I love those necks... You'll never remove that brand of guitar from my hands when I'm using it or dead holding it.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Well D is most often found on Gibson and Epi's and are veryyy big around. I hate them.
C necks are usually pretty thin and rounded. Can be narrow
Flat U is shaped like a U, but is very thin and flat. Usually kinda wide.
U is usually fat and the sides are straight and is rounded.
V I've never heard of.

All I know is that Dean, Gretsch and Schecter guitars have awesome necks. I love those necks... You'll never remove that brand of guitar from my hands when I'm using it or dead holding it.

D was also found on 54 and 55 strats. In 1957, Fender introduced the "V" shaped neck. It's more commonly known as a soft V, as in the point of the V is smoothed over. C shape is what is found on modern strats. U is sometimes described as a soft V, however like rockthedean said, its more fat.

For Soft V, think Eric Clapton sig strat and Eric Johnson sig strat. From what I've heard, a big chunky neck has a better tone to it, than thinner necks. Though, that's all opinion.

The neck shape doesn't really make you faster, it's more the radius. I can play faster on the EJ strat I tested out today at my music store (Soft V, 12" radius) compared to my MIM strat I currently own (9.5" radius, modern C shape neck). So in reality, it's not the neck contour, but more of the radius in terms of speed.

Ibanez uses a type of C/D neck, but its extremely thin. You can find almost every neck contour ever on Gibsons or Fenders.
question on the necks is there a difference between Soft V and Modified Soft V?
U is wide and flat with high shoulders, like a Wizard.
D is wide and roundish, without shoulders. Like Gibson necks.
C is rounder still, like Fender necks.
V is steeply rounded, like a Dean neck.

There's other shapes too, but those are the main ones.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by ColinMc
question on the necks is there a difference between Soft V and Modified Soft V?

A subtle difference.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by Ghold125
God I hate when people ask for the pro's and con's of something, there are not any. It's what YOU like the most, it's preferences. One amp isn't better then any other, unless your asking yourself what you think is better, not the general consensus of a forum community.

+1 There are no pro's and con's of guitar neck shapes unless you are Eric Johnson. Anyway whichever guitar you play just try the neck if you like it then buy it.
usually people tend to like C shaped necks because they are supposed to be faster. ive tried bigger necks like on the SRV strat and i think its about the same for me. but i remember my uncle had a guitar with a large V shaped neck and it was quite hard to play. generally, thinner necks should be easier to play. but too thin can be hard too. so it depends on you really and what feels the best in your hands.
Middle-end Gretsch models (Pro Jet, Duo Jet, 5120, 5122, 5135, Stump-o-matic) use a mix between a D and a C neck. It's pretty rounded, more like a C, but it's a little wider. It reminds me of a Fat Strat neck but just a little thinner.

So basically, neck shapes are pretty general. I tried out the EC-1000, and I didn't really like the Flat U neck. A little too thin for me, and also too flat. But I really like the Flat U neck on my guitar teacher's Dinky.

Soooo you'd have to try out a bunch of necks.
i played a acustic witha V neck (no idea it it was a hard one)..it's really strange..but hard to play
My Strat is a V-neck model and I like the neck much better than my buddy's Strat with a C-neck. The neck on my Carvin is pretty much C shaped but thinner than a Strat. Somewhere between a Strat and an Ibanez. IMO the Carvin neck is perfect. I tried a Caparison TAT the other day and the neck profile on it changes down the neck, it's very interesting and I liked it. There may be a NGD thread by me in the next couple weeks..
Quote by STABxYOU
U is wide and flat with high shoulders, like a Wizard.
D is wide and roundish, without shoulders. Like Gibson necks.
C is rounder still, like Fender necks.
V is steeply rounded, like a Dean neck.

There's other shapes too, but those are the main ones.

I'd say a Wizard is more of a D shape TBH.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO