Page 1 of 2
So yea, I just got out of bootcamp and have funds aplenty. Seeing as I already have a decent enough guitar for what I play I'm looking into building a computer. I threw this list together fairly quickly so if any of the pit monkeys who know wtf it is they're doing want to give me some pointers/advice/cheaper hardware I'd be ex-****ing-static

Newegg.com - Computers, Computer Parts and Electronics
My Wish List Details

1 LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model GH22NP20
$24.99

1 XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower
Computer Case
$99.99

1 Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
Internal Hard Drive
$69.99

1 Acer H213H bmid Black 21.5" 5ms HDMI Full HD 1080P Widescreen 16:9 LCD
Monitor
$169.99

1 MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
$169.99

1 Zonet ZEW2500P MINI USB / USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter
$22.99

2 XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
$389.98

1 Antec EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI
Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
$76.99

1 Microsoft QQA-00001S Black USB Digital Media Keyboard 3000 and Mouse Kit
$26.99

1 Kingston HyperX 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop
Memory Model KHX12800D3/2G
$47.49

1 mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual
Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996601
$116.99

1 AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core
Processor Model HDZ955FBGIBOX
$215.00

1 LITE-ON Black 4X Blu-ray Reader SATA Model iHOS104-06
$57.99

Subtotal: $1,489.37
That's cool, my shopping list usually consists of

Carrots- $2.00
Oreos- $50.56
Apples- $2.00
Cereal- $235.64
Potatoes- $57.54
More Oreos- $452.99
Ramen noodles- $688.64

Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
1)

YOU'RE BUYING A FUCKING AMD.

2) Too much RAM for no reason.

3) ****ty mobo

4) 650w PSU is insufficient for any new PC today.

5) eVGA>all video card companies, 30 days of grace for new cards is ridiculous, I've gotten free video cards every month for the past 7 months because of it.
I might go on deployment and I'll want something still relevant when I get back.

I'm not looking to drop any hardware, just maybe chaper options if people know of any.
Quote by evilgerbil666
I might go on deployment and I'll want something still relevant when I get back.

I'm not looking to drop any hardware, just maybe chaper options if people know of any.

Don't get an AMD.

Edit:

Quote by Guitarfreak777
You might want a better power supply, that 650 is what came on my HP, back in 02.

wat.
If you're using it for gaming, don't get the AMD Phenom.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Quote by evilgerbil666
What's wrong with AMD?

The quad-cores fight for the RAM and it struggles to use all of the available processing power. You need a shitload of RAM to make it work like it should.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Quote by Grindar
1)

YOU'RE BUYING A FUCKING AMD.

3) ****ty mobo

4) 650w PSU is insufficient for any new PC today.

5) eVGA>all video card companies, 30 days of grace for new cards is ridiculous, I've gotten free video cards every month for the past 7 months because of it.

How do you know the mobo is sh*tty? It has good reviews. Whats wrong with AMD? They have good performance CPU's for cheap prices.

Edit: I read the posts. Maybe you should go with intel...I am using an Intel too if anyone asks.
Quote by Karvid
That's cool, my shopping list usually consists of

Carrots- $2.00
Oreos- $50.56
Apples- $2.00
Cereal- $235.64
Potatoes- $57.54
More Oreos- $452.99
Ramen noodles- $688.64

looks simallar go mine
Quote by evilgerbil666
What's wrong with AMD?

They just don't perform very well, and in some cases have issues working with high end GPUs.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
AMD sucks, and I worked for them. Then I got a job at Intel and told them all of AMD's secrets, it was cool.
I would get more RAM, and if you do get Windows 7 64 bit or Vista 64 bit, get more then 4gb ram, on newegg.com RAM has gotten extremely cheap check out the patriot ram for 4gb, and get a better powersupply, don't go less for that.
LOL
Quote by metaldud536
How do you know the mobo is sh*tty? It has good reviews. Whats wrong with AMD? They have good performance CPU's for cheap prices.

Edit: I read the posts. Maybe you should go with intel...I am using an Intel too if anyone asks.

I made a server with that same mobo and it sucked.

AMD sucks.

Edit:

Don't get more than 4 gigs of ram.
As for the mobo, the reviews for it are all amazing. I'll look into some x58/i7 boards though. I have a feeling it might be more expensive though, which is what I'm trying to avoid.
Quote by SiKh22
I would get more RAM, and if you do get Windows 7 64 bit or Vista 64 bit, get more then 4gb ram, on newegg.com RAM has gotten extremely cheap check out the patriot ram for 4gb, and get a better powersupply, don't go less for that.

4 gigs should be fine starting out (unless you are going for a prosumer level machine, and if he was doing that he would be getting beter stuff all aorund) that's about the max that most basic consumer apps and games use, and if he neeeds more he can alsways add more later.

Last.fm
Quote by Grindar

Quote by King Twili
The quad-cores fight for the RAM and it struggles to use all of the available processing power. You need a shitload of RAM to make it work like it should.

Hmmmm.
just give me a fender and let me rip
I have to say, i7/x58 is still pretty quirky, I wouldn't go for it unless you're doing some serious overclocking.
Quote by King Twili

What are you talking about? Gaming performance is primarily derived from the video card rather than the CPU except for shitty ports. My PhII 720 and 4890 have no problems running games. Although for $1500, you might as well just get an i7 920 and 4870x2. AMD owns Intel in price/performance for their entire range. i7s are the only real advantage Intel has over AMD and 99% of people don't need an i7.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Quote by sk8boardbob2
What are you talking about? Gaming performance is primarily derived from the video card rather than the CPU except for shitty ports. My PhII 720 and 4890 have no problems running games. Although for $1500, you might as well just get an i7 920 and 4870x2. AMD owns Intel in price/performance for their entire range. i7s are the only real advantage Intel has over AMD and 99% of people don't need an i7.

Uhm...

No on everything.

CPU=Processing power for everything INCLUDING FUCKING VIDEO GAMES.

All Intel CPUs>All AMD CPUs.
Well, I'm getting a bigger psu now, that's for sure.

Any suggestions on a good cpu/mobo combo for intel? And if I go with i7 I'll drop the extra 2gb of ram to help balance the price around $1500
Quote by evilgerbil666
Well, I'm getting a bigger psu now, that's for sure.

Any suggestions on a good cpu/mobo combo for intel? And if I go with i7 I'll drop the extra 2gb of ram to help balance the price around $1500

How about listen to me and don't get i7.

Get a good pre-i7 quad core with a solid x38/48 mobo.
I have a AMD Phenom Quad-Core @ 2.3GhZ and it doesn't do very well.
Quote by Grindar
How about listen to me and don't get i7.

Get a good pre-i7 quad core with a solid x38/48 mobo.

I'm not trying to question you know, but how is Intel billions of times better than AMD? From the perception I had AMD had more power for the price, and were designed slightly better for video games.
Quote by Grindar
Uhm...

No on everything.

CPU=Processing power for everything INCLUDING FUCKING VIDEO GAMES.

All Intel CPUs>All AMD CPUs.

All right you're either an idiot troll or an idiot Intel fanboy. Any PC Gamer worth anything will tell you that CPU power contributes less to your gaming than video card power, especially since almost no games have benefits from using more than two cores. That's why if all you want to do is game and nothing else, you're better off with the highest clocked dual core you can find than a quad core.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Quote by Grindar
I have to say, i7/x58 is still pretty quirky, I wouldn't go for it unless you're doing some serious overclocking.

I haven't had any problems with mine, and I haven't overclocked it yet. Granted I use mine mostly for audio, but it still considerably outperforms my core 2 quad Q6600

Quote by sk8boardbob2
All right you're either an idiot troll or an idiot Intel fanboy. Any PC Gamer worth anything will tell you that CPU power contributes less to your gaming than video card power, especially since almost no games have benefits from using more than two cores. That's why if all you want to do is game and nothing else, you're better off with the highest clocked dual core you can find than a quad core.

and for how much longer do you think that's going to be relevant, especially since quad cores are becoming a lot more common.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jul 30, 2009,
Quote by evilgerbil666
I'm not trying to question you know, but how is Intel billions of times better than AMD? From the perception I had AMD had more power for the price, and were designed slightly better for video games.

Intel is designed better, and has much more experience in multi-core processing. They hold up infinity better when overclocked because of this.

Quote by sk8boardbob2

I'm not even going to bother reading that because you called me a fanboy.

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I haven't had any problems with mine, and I haven't overclocked it yet. Granted I use mine mostly for audio, but it still considerably outperforms my core 2 quad Q6600

I went Q6600->QX6750->i7 Extreme 975

I clocked it as far as it could humanely go, using dry ice and water cooling with the radiator from an old Chevelle, and it holds up well, but is still really unreliable.
To the OP, if you want unbiased opinions, ignore Grindar and listen to the other people in the thread. Most of them are actually helping instead of being asshats. I'm done listening to him so feel free to PM me if you want more help.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Quote by Grindar

I clocked it as far as it could humanely go, using dry ice and water cooling with the radiator from an old Chevelle, and it holds up well, but is still really unreliable.

considering that most current stuff (and stuff considerably far inot the future) won't benefit that much from the kind of massive overclocking you are talking about, I fail to see how that's relevant in any practical sense. also Intel hasn't made a CPU that has really held up to overclocking since the P4 (I thnk some lab got one up to like 10 Ghz)

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jul 30, 2009,
Quote by sk8boardbob2
To the OP, if you want unbiased opinions, ignore Grindar and listen to the other people in the thread. Most of them are actually helping instead of being asshats. I'm done listening to him so feel free to PM me if you want more help.

I don't get it

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
considering that most current stuff (and stuff considerably far inot the future) won't benefit that much from the kind of massive overclocking you are talking about, I fail to see how that's relevant in any practical sense.

The more power the better.
Wait, people actually buy AMD's? I thought the only people that had those were people who's computers came with them.
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
Quote by LegsOnEarth
Wait 5 hours
Be accused by the promoter of being late
Get told we have only a 10 minute set
Play pure noise for 10 minutes

Worst and most amusing gig of my life.

Anyone else had this kind of **** happen?!

Dimebag had a worse gig.
The other thing I'm concerned about is if everything will work together. Mainly the connections
Get one of them nifty Military Laptops so you can post on UG from a pointless war (That is, assuming you're american.
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
Quote by LegsOnEarth
Wait 5 hours
Be accused by the promoter of being late
Get told we have only a 10 minute set
Play pure noise for 10 minutes

Worst and most amusing gig of my life.

Anyone else had this kind of **** happen?!

Dimebag had a worse gig.
Quote by username94
Get one of them nifty Military Laptops so you can post on UG from a pointless war (That is, assuming you're american.

I find the war fairly useless as well. Along with many other things the government does, but oh well.

I'm in the NAVY btw, I'll be at school for 1.5 years before even going on a ship so I have some time to actually use this thing.
Quote by evilgerbil666

Well, I think it may be true, that say an Intel Quad-core running at 3.1Ghz will out-perform an AMD quad-core running at the same speed.
Page 1 of 2