hey i dont know how many of you guys listen to the band wilco, but im a huge fan of them, ive been trying to sound more like jeff tweedy/nels cline.

I was wondering how you get the jagged solo style they have wat scales, techniques, etc. in songs like At least thats wat you said and the solo off spiders (kidsmoke), im the man who loves you, etc.

also the tones they used always has been tough to me, i have a gibson custom classic lp, an ibanez troubador amp, and a G2 Zoom Multi-Effects pedal, any ideas how i can get that tone?

any advice on how to do either would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!!!

peace and love!
Listen to their music. What do they do? Do that.
If you can't figure out what they do by looking at their music, you need to head on over to the theory sticky.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Tweedy is a fairly basic rhythm player and soloist, but Nels Cline is a really smart, original player. He's style is based much more in jazz/experimental than in rock/country.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
sorry to resurrect a thread, but i cant resist helping someone with this. for nels, it's gonna be tough. you'll need to get similar gear to his, because a lot of his crazier solos rely on some of his weirder stuff - ie korg kaos pad. go to his site and you'll see what im saying.

as for jeff (which is what you wanted, given the songs you've noted), crank the treble, use some fuzz/light distortion, and that's pretty much it. and soloing like jeff - just use minor pentatonics cause that's how he rolls.
Quote by Danno13
PROTIP: With guitars, you can go ahead and add the "Ed." to "Special"

My gear:
1964 Gibson SG
2007 Gretsch Electromatic
Washburn Acoustic-Electric
Some Fender amp
1967 Encore pile of dung