So i love all sorts of metal but i love Tool the most. Anywayz i am getting a bass and i was wondering what justin's usual tuning was as i plan to play alot of tool.
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
DADG happens most, if not all of the time.

An exception might be Parabola, which I think is BEAD.
d a d g; and then a bunch of pedals which can tweak the sound i.e. octave and whammy pedals.
My Gear:
Fender Squier VM Jazz Bass
ESP LTD B-5E
ESP LTD EC-330FM
Ibanez RGD7421
Jackson DXMG
Line 6 Pod X3
Quote by hagstrom_9
tool is for tools

and your a retard.

Anyways, Tool goes drop D, and is fun as hell to play on bass. Mostly simple stuff, but still fun stuff at that.

Some songs are a little more complicated though. To play Jambi correctly you have to have 2 amps, one run with effects and the other clean.

and The pot is kind of a confusing song to play at first.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by hagstrom_9
all i have to say is i suggest you listen to better music

All I have to say is I suggest you gtfo of this thread before I report you
Don't worry, he's now banned.

Justin Chancellor is pretty well documented as far as effects and general playing. Alot of drop D as has been mentioned.
Quote by Rain_In_Blood
So i love all sorts of metal but i love Tool the most. Anywayz i am getting a bass and i was wondering what justin's usual tuning was as i plan to play alot of tool.

You're on a tab site.... wouldn't your first thought be look up the tabs? Most if not all have the tuning at the top..
Quote by Slay 'Em
You're on a tab site.... wouldn't your first thought be look up the tabs? Most if not all have the tuning at the top..

yeah i could have. But, i asked cause i asked generally speaking not just one song. But yeah i know Justin uses alot of effects and i'll probably stay away from Tool's harder songs for now but ill try to mess around with their easier stuff. thanks
yep i knew he use wals(im a huge fan but not a bass expert yet lulz).
well, if you're just starting, you aren't gonna have a Wal. almost fact.

DADG, or Drop D is the usual.

I'd suggest a cheap multifx if you can wrestle 100 or so to get that kinda Tool soaked in effects sound- a cheap one will you get you closer than a clean Wal would to the sound, IMO.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I didn't plan on getting a wal. I heard they are the **** but i couldn't afford that(or need it as a beginner cause my mommy isn't gonna pay for all that **** just so her little boy can be the coolest cat in teh hood lol jkjk). but yeah im just getting an ibanez. I dont' know about effects. Ill ask they guy at my local shop who is helping me out about what kinda **** i need. He's a cool guy and he won't pull a fast one on me like most employees(he is a guitar and bass teacher so he doesn't actually sell stuff for the shop but does work there)
I know it's a little off topic, but are wals going to get more expensive, considering that production has stopped?
no production is back on. But they are all hand made right so they are expensive already
mention my suggestion to him- many bassists don't need fx, but it would really help for some toolin. on the wal thing I'm glad, a level head is great.

and Wals will be more expensive.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I can play some Dream Theater (whole songs, if I could be arsed) but not Tool. Good luck- you're going to need it.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright