Great amp! Wonderful cleans and it takes pedals really well. Loud as hell too. If it suits your playing style then I would have no hesitation to get it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
played one again today. great amp.

what kind of music do you play?
do you gig?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Got a Org. '65 Super Reverb Blackface in the house. Its the heat. Its my bassists famnily hierloom, been passed down for a couple of generations. He's storing it at my house while he's out of town, but secretly, he wants me to fall in love with it so I'll get off my ass and get a valve amp.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
Got a Org. '65 Super Reverb Blackface in the house. Its the heat. Its my bassists famnily hierloom, been passed down for a couple of generations. He's storing it at my house while he's out of town, but secretly, he wants me to fall in love with it so I'll get off my ass and get a valve amp.

And I assume this plan is working?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
`Every day my budget gets bigger. Ive been eying a Epi Blues Custom. I have my own board, so effects dont really matter. I have to gig with it, so power is important, need 30w I think. I'll have play places ranging from small bars to outdoor festivals.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
`Every day my budget gets bigger. Ive been eying a Epi Blues Custom. I have my own board, so effects dont really matter. I have to gig with it, so power is important, need 30w I think. I'll have play places ranging from small bars to outdoor festivals.

How big are these outdoor festivals? If they are rather large, you're gonna need something bigger than 30w.
^Actually he won't. I've played gigs for about 300 people with an unmiced Rocker 30 on about 3. Anything larger where a 30W wouldn't handle, well then it will just be miced up!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
^Actually he won't. I've played gigs for about 300 people with an unmiced Rocker 30 on about 3. Anything larger where a 30W wouldn't handle, well then it will just be miced up!

Offtopic here but would any amp (one amp, and no not the CRATE BV600H) be able to power a stadium like lets say Wembly without a PA system?
Quote by Gabel

Well, that's true, although I've never been one to mic my amps
Quote by stykerwolf
Offtopic here but would any amp (one amp, and no not the CRATE BV600H) be able to power a stadium like lets say Wembly without a PA system?

well i have heard they have venues that can naturally amplify the human voice to the point where you don't need a pa to hear it from the audience, then i am sure there are venues that a small amp will make do. but that question is really dictated by the venue and not the amp.

about '65 reissue twin. they are good amps, sound good enough, the only gripe i have about them is the fact they are trying to sell it off as a blackface style amp. while i don't believe you are getting anything too true to a blackface, you still do get a good amp. louder than hell too.

if i got one i would promptly replace the jenson speakers that came stock and reload it with some type of weber speaker(some 60's style jenson design, maybe alnico), then i would also gut the Groove Tubes and replace with JJ's. this, i feel, would make me very happy with the amp.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I'm assuming these are PCBs now?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^yeah...

The Twin Reverb RI is a good amp but none of the modern Fender RI's live up to the legend of the older blackface amps. The corner cutting that fender does has a significant impact on tone which some people like but most people find underwhelming. That said, a well setup RI will kick the pant off a poorly maintained vintage original.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
^yeah...

The Twin Reverb RI is a good amp but none of the modern Fender RI's live up to the legend of the older blackface amps. The corner cutting that fender does has a significant impact on tone which some people like but most people find underwhelming. That said, a well setup RI will kick the pant off a poorly maintained vintage original.

Funny this thread popped up, because I was considering a 1990 Twin Reverb in trade for my Bassman, but this has convinced me not to. Especially since I just spent $400 getting the Bassman serviced, and it is running 100% perfectly. I guarantee no modern production Fender is as hum-free as my Bassman is now. American made, handwired amps can't be beat, especially not by PCB junk that is made in... ?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by gregs1020
Corona California...

Oh really, nice, I'm glad someone is still manufacturing here. Though I can't remember who but when I bought my MIM Strat someone on here told me;

"Mexican Strats are made in Mexico, by Mexicans. American Strats are made in America by Mexicans."

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Funny this thread popped up, because I was considering a 1990 Twin Reverb in trade for my Bassman, but this has convinced me not to. Especially since I just spent $400 getting the Bassman serviced, and it is running 100% perfectly. I guarantee no modern production Fender is as hum-free as my Bassman is now. American made, handwired amps can't be beat, especially not by PCB junk that is made in... ?

please don't get caught up in the 'hand wired is strictly better' camp. it has been shown that pcb amps are actually more consistent and sounds quite comparable to handwired amps.

so whats the deal? this flies in the face of everything that people spew as jargon here. well, there is a very good reason why handwired amps are actually considered better. cuz you have to get a person to do it, you need that skilled persons hands and knowledge to wire that amp. if you have to get a skilled individual to to that then you are going to pay a pretty penny to produce, much more money than pcb's cost. so i see, inherently, if you are going to create more overhead to produce an amplifier then it better be good enough to warrant the price. look now-a-days at most handwired amps(particularly from large manufacturer like fender, marshall, orange, etc.) their handwired amps look like they get the better components. furthermore, while a pcb will print one board after another board ad-naseum with very little variability, there is also lest customizability in the amp. while if it is hand wired you can customize what you want.

so the sentiment that handwired amps are better is a generality that is correct almost all the time. but it is not necessarily because handwiring is a superior technique to pcb, it is more likely that they are better because why are you gonna waste someone's time, skill and resources handwiring a crappy amp when you can print tons of crappy pcb more efficiently(besides no one will want buy an expensive crappy amp anyways). while conversely, why would you design printed circuit boards for 'custom' or 'limited run' amps when you are not planning on cookie cutting the design(it actually takes some time, thought, and trial to get the pcb optimized and it may not be worth it for a run of 100 amps or so).

there are also plenty of good manufacturers(like VHT) that purposely choose pcb for particular applications because they were superior to hand wiring(there was a great article on that i have read and tried to find since but can't, it really opened my eyes)

so please don't think any handwired amp is better just because it is handwired, in modern times handwired in indicative of quality, but quality is not exclusive to handwired amps.

that being said, i am drooling over your bassman, blackface? silverface? tweed? if i had a handwired fender from back then i would definitely keep it over a RI twin. and not for pcb's, more because he was a man who loved what he did, he poored that love into his equipment he made, and that is the kinda amp i want.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 31, 2009,
the general consensus will probably be that it is a great amp but not as good as the original.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by gumbilicious
please don't get caught up in the 'hand wired is strictly better' camp. it has been shown that pcb amps are actually more consistent and sounds quite comparable to handwired amps.

so whats the deal? this flies in the face of everything that people spew as jargon here. well, there is a very good reason why handwired amps are actually considered better. cuz you have to get a person to do it, you need that skilled persons hands and knowledge to wire that amp. if you have to get a skilled individual to to that then you are going to pay a pretty penny to produce, much more money than pcb's cost. so i see, inherently, if you are going to create more overhead to produce an amplifier then it better be good enough to warrant the price. look now-a-days at most handwired amps(particularly from large manufacturer like fender, marshall, orange, etc.) their handwired amps look like they get the better components. furthermore, while a pcb will print one board after another board ad-naseum with very little variability, there is also lest customizability in the amp. while if it is hand wired you can customize what you want.

so the sentiment that handwired amps are better is a generality that is correct almost all the time. but it is not necessarily because handwiring is a superior technique to pcb, it is more likely that they are better because why are you gonna waste someone's time, skill and resources handwiring a crappy amp when you can print tons of crappy pcb more efficiently(besides no one will want buy an expensive crappy amp anyways). while conversely, why would you design printed circuit boards for 'custom' or 'limited run' amps when you are not planning on cookie cutting the design(it actually takes some time, thought, and trial to get the pcb optimized and it may not be worth it for a run of 100 amps or so).

there are also plenty of good manufacturers(like VHT) that purposely choose pcb for particular applications because they were superior to hand wiring(there was a great article on that i have read and tried to find since but can't, it really opened my eyes)

so please don't think any handwired amp is better just because it is handwired, in modern times handwired in indicative of quality, but quality is not exclusive to handwired amps.

that being said, i am drooling over your bassman, blackface? silverface? tweed? if i had a handwired fender from back then i would definitely keep it over a RI twin. and not for pcb's, more because he was a man who loved what he did, he poored that love into his equipment he made, and that is the kinda amp i want.

My favorite thing about hand wired is that when I had it serviced the guy said he could literally replace every part in there if he wanted, pretty easily. He used the original schematics and undid 30 years of what he called "ignorant tinkering" by the former owner(s). So I agree 100%, obviously if I handwired an amp it would be **** compared to a decent PCB amp, because I have no idea what I'm doing. But that's what I love about that amp, it is a labor of love. It is only as good as the worst solder connection in there, weakest link in the chain type of thing. When the links are looked over by a tech and are all solid, trust me its incredible.

Also, its a silverface. Here is my NAD.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1164518&highlight=bassman
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jul 31, 2009,
Quote by tubetime86
My favorite thing about hand wired is that when I had it serviced the guy said he could literally replace every part in there if he wanted, pretty easily. He used the original schematics and undid 30 years of what he called "ignorant tinkering" by the former owner(s). So I agree 100%, obviously if I handwired an amp it would be **** compared to a decent PCB amp, because I have no idea what I'm doing. But that's what I love about that amp, it is a labor of love. It is only as good as the worst solder connection in there, weakest link in the chain type of thing. When the links are looked over by a tech and are all solid, trust me its incredible.

Also, its a silverface. Here is my NAD.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1164518&highlight=bassman

great response, your head is definitely in the right place. and yes, i also love how everything on my handwired amps is so easily accessible, whereas a pcb gets messed... well time for some serious overhaul. there is also the opportunity to 'over engineer' a circuit by a good tech, this is not quite available to pcb amps.

edit: nice amps, i dig on those ampegs too. i have also been collecting some old stuff, 69 sunn 1200s, 50's kay combo, 82 princeton II, etc. they are lovely things these older amps.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 31, 2009,
Quote by gumbilicious

so whats the deal? this flies in the face of everything that people spew as jargon here. well, there is a very good reason why handwired amps are actually considered better. cuz you have to get a person to do it, you need that skilled persons hands and knowledge to wire that amp. if you have to get a skilled individual to to that then you are going to pay a pretty penny to produce, much more money than pcb's cost. so i see, inherently, if you are going to create more overhead to produce an amplifier then it better be good enough to warrant the price. look now-a-days at most handwired amps(particularly from large manufacturer like fender, Marshall, orange, etc.) their handwired amps look like they get the better components. furthermore, while a pcb will print one board after another board ad-naseum with very little variability, there is also lest customizability in the amp. while if it is hand wired you can customize what you want.

I agree with most of what you are saying here. My main issue with the modern fender amps are the carbon film resistors, low quality capacitors, plastic bobbin transformers, and (depending on the amp) the plywood cabs. These things make the biggest impact on tone and are the real reason the RI amps fall short. They are also the reason an RI is better than a poorly maintained original. Capacitors and resistors wander, the turret boards become conductive, and transformers rust and to make things worse, vintage parts are effected by environmental factors more than the modern amps.

The biggest advantage of the P2P amps is fixing them, however, the P2P amps also have a better high end because they don't get the increased inductance caused by the traces on the circuit board. The drawbacks of the P2P are that the boards (on fender amps not Marshall) become conductive as they are exposed to humidity which can mean you need a complete rewire!!! The other problem is consistency. Every wire makes a difference and you end up in situations where an extra .25" of length on 1 wire will make the difference between a great sounding amp and an unusable amp. PCP boards get rid of this problem! So both have their advantages and disadvantages. I'd take a hand wired amp over PCP but I would never claim that hand wired is better. They just have different problems.
Not taking any online orders.
much better said than me, i was pretty much not trying to put my foot in my mouth too bad

-ae
Quote by CorduroyEW
I agree with most of what you are saying here. My main issue with the modern fender amps are the carbon film resistors, low quality capacitors, plastic bobbin transformers, and (depending on the amp) the plywood cabs. These things make the biggest impact on tone and are the real reason the RI amps fall short. They are also the reason an RI is better than a poorly maintained original. Capacitors and resistors wander, the turret boards become conductive, and transformers rust and to make things worse, vintage parts are effected by environmental factors more than the modern amps.

The biggest advantage of the P2P amps is fixing them, however, the P2P amps also have a better high end because they don't get the increased inductance caused by the traces on the circuit board. The drawbacks of the P2P are that the boards (on fender amps not Marshall) become conductive as they are exposed to humidity which can mean you need a complete rewire!!! The other problem is consistency. Every wire makes a difference and you end up in situations where an extra .25" of length on 1 wire will make the difference between a great sounding amp and an unusable amp. PCP boards get rid of this problem! So both have their advantages and disadvantages. I'd take a hand wired amp over PCP but I would never claim that hand wired is better. They just have different problems.

I'm deathly afraid of the turret board going conductive. The tech said everything is OK, but I have mine in my basement for the summer and its pretty humid down there. I run a humidifier all the time but it is still hot and humid. My transformers are already rusted, but again the tech said they are OK. He said I should be good for a long time after the work he did, aside from tubes obviously.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by stykerwolf

Well not ONE, but perhaps if you had a couple you'd get something. The problem is that the further back, well they won't hear it.

Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
Well, that's true, although I've never been one to mic my amps

I think it works really well. RUn it out of the monitor and you hear youself better too!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009