http://books-videos-music.musiciansfriend.com/product/Berklee-Press-A-Modern-Method-for-Guitar-Volumes-1-2-3-Complete-Book?sku=904249

Berklee Press A Modern Method for Guitar

Needless to say, I'm interested in learning music theory and such, and I've kinda been studying it for some time, reading along this forum and various other ebooks and etc. and through my own experimentation.

I saw this book on the net and I would like to know if anyone else who bought it or any of the volumes would recommend it. Is it easy to follow? Does it cover the materials properly? Are there better books out there?

And before I end this post, I cannot read music, but I need to eventually, so the fact that it does not have tab does not bother me.

Thanks.
If you're interested in learning music theory, start with Harmony and Voice Leading by Aldwell and Schachter.

It looks decent. I've also been looking for a good theory book and was recommended this:

http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Theory-B...47791072&sr=8-1

That book is a terrible introduction. Most of concepts (especially the modal ones) are very misleading unless you have a working knowledge of music theory and a decent understanding of jazz conventions.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Jul 30, 2009,
Quote by Archeo Avis
If you're interested in learning music theory, start with Harmony and Voice Leading by Aldwell and Schachter.

That looks like a better book, actually.

Was it hard for you to follow? Because I was reading some reviews on Amazon saying that it was. How much knowledge of theory did you have before you started reading this? Someone said it was college-level theory, but how much theory is college level?

I have a band teacher at school that can help me with things, but for the most part I would prefer if I could get it myself.

I might get it regardless, though, judging by some of the other reviews it looks very thorough.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting
Last edited by Dregen at Jul 31, 2009,
Quote by Dregen
That looks like a better book, actually.

Was it hard for you to follow? Because I was reading some reviews on Amazon saying that it was. How much knowledge of theory did you have before you started reading this? Someone said it was college-level theory, but how much theory is college level?

I have a band teacher at school that can help me with things, but for the most part I would prefer if I could get it myself.

I might get it regardless, though, judging by some of the other reviews it looks very thorough.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting

It's a college level textbook, and it does assume the ability to read standard notation. It does a good job of covering the basics, such as scale and chord construction, but if you're an absolute beginner, you might find you need to do a bit of reading on the side to fully grasp it (nothing you couldn't find here on UG).

EDIT: Check your PM's.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Jul 31, 2009,
This book is a staple! It's very thorough, but VERY dry. I went throught the first two in the series with a guitar teacher, before I was ready to gouge my eyes out. Then again I was 19...and just wanted to rock! I think that this series is tough to get through on your own. It's probably best if you work on it with a teacher.
The Idiots guide cover everything that has to do with music theory, not just the basics.
The berklee book is very impressive. And I would recommend it. Buy the trilogy one as book three is awesome. No tab in here, strictly notation.
I always thought a teacher was better but books can be helpful
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.