Anyone have bkps and think they are worth the cash?

Ibanez s series 5150 combo looking for clean lead tone from neck and heavy bridge pup.
It depends on where you live, really.

In the US and elsewhere, no, they're pretty much never worth the cash. UK, maybe.
You aren't going to get good cleans out of a 5150 regardless, that's just not what it's for.

Whether something's worth its price is subjective. I'd say yes, definitely, but there are people who think paying $300 for a guitar is crazy, much less a pair of pickups.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Last edited by Pretty. Odd. at Jul 30, 2009,
Depends how much you buy them for, $300-ish I think they're ok for the price, but I'm more into classic rock and PAF tones so I would still prefer a set of WCRs or Wolfetones to Bareknuckles (which are still great in their own right)
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
You aren't going to get good cleans out of a 5150 regardless, that's just not what it's for.

Whether something's worth its price is subjective. I'd say yes, definitely, but there are people who think paying $300 for a guitar is crazy, much less a pair of pickups.

looking for clean lead tone
Quote by al112987
Depends how much you buy them for, $300-ish I think they're ok for the price, but I'm more into classic rock and PAF tones so I would still prefer a set of WCRs or Wolfetones to Bareknuckles (which are still great in their own right)

I have the Mules, which IMO are amazing PAF copies. I think they were worth it, because of their tone. However I live in Sweden, where a set of Bareknuckles is about $50 more than a set of Duncans. So here they are worth it. But if you're in the US? Not as much.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I have looked into these Pickups but being that I live in the US its not worth the price and shipping. I can outfit 2 of my guitars with new high end pickups for the cost of a pair of BKs. now if you live over the pond (Atlantic) its well worth it. My buddy got a set while he was touring Europe and they are some killer sounding PU's.
Quote by Gabel
I have the Mules, which IMO are amazing PAF copies. I think they were worth it, because of their tone. However I live in Sweden, where a set of Bareknuckles is about $50 more than a set of Duncans. So here they are worth it. But if you're in the US? Not as much.
Wow, Duncans cost a lot over there, I had no idea. The Mules are good pickups I agree, but the best pickups I've ever heard for getting what I have in my head as PAF tone are SD pickups Vintage labs, Jim Rolphs and Wolfetone Dr. Vs. These three are just the ones that particularly stand out to me in terms of getting that PAF tone, and thus they're still my preference for that particular sound.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 31, 2009,
i take it u mean u want more definition when u say u want a clean lead tone.bareknuckles are great for this but if u live in the US it might be too expensive to be worth it.if that is the case take a look at dimarzios.they make some great pups
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Eggmond
i take it u mean u want more definition when u say u want a clean lead tone.bareknuckles are great for this but if u live in the US it might be too expensive to be worth it.if that is the case take a look at dimarzios.they make some great pups
you're comparing dimarzios to a set of handwound boutique pickups?

there are ton of good boutique pickups in the USA that are along the same lines of BK that do not cost as much over here. I despise Dimarzios.
im from ireland so i dont really know any of the boutique pickup makers there but dimarzios are great pups and u cant argue that.and btw hand winding makes no difference whatsoever.the difference is that makers that go to the bother of winding their pups by hand generally use better quality components
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Eggmond
im from ireland so i dont really know any of the boutique pickup makers there but dimarzios are great pups and u cant argue that.and btw hand winding makes no difference whatsoever.the difference is that makers that go to the bother of winding their pups by hand generally use better quality components

No, handwinding does make a difference because the winder controls the tension and pattern in which he/she lays the wire. These things matter and they make a huge difference. Boutique makers, for the most part, source the same parts from the same places. But it's their winding of the bobbins that makes all the difference in how they sound. It's why when you order a JB from Seymour Duncan's custom shop or a '59 from their custom shop, they sound better than the standard production models, and is very much the same reason why people are so enamored with early Duncan pickups back when they were all being wound by either Seymour or MJ.

A well built machine that lays wire and tensions exactly the way the winder wants it to can work just as well as hand winding, but for the most part, Dimarzios just do not sound that good, and I've tried several Dimarzios and replaced them all. If Dimarzios are marked up in Europe as much as Seymour Duncans are, I would never even consider spending my money on one over there. At the very least not over a Seymour Duncan.
^ they are.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I also have a pair of Mules. I put them in an Epi LP custom - sounded great, like a LP should. I have since put them in a strat-type guitar and work well there as well.

I wanted gold covers and in UK a pair of Duncans with gold covers is only about £30 less. The BKPs have a less clinical more 'organic' tone.

Whilst I'm perfectly happy with them IMO changing pickups is only really worth it if you need a dramatic change (eg you want different output or stock ones just plain suck). Spending some time with the EQ on your amp can be just as beneficial. YMMV etc.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
I love my Dimarzios... BKPs didn´t do it for me - but almost everyone else I´ve talked to loves them...
Quote by pEdAl2
I also have a pair of Mules. I put them in an Epi LP custom - sounded great, like a LP should. I have since put them in a strat-type guitar and work well there as well.

I wanted gold covers and in UK a pair of Duncans with gold covers is only about £30 less. The BKPs have a less clinical more 'organic' tone.

Whilst I'm perfectly happy with them IMO changing pickups is only really worth it if you need a dramatic change (eg you want different output or stock ones just plain suck). Spending some time with the EQ on your amp can be just as beneficial. YMMV etc.
I'm not so sure about that, pickups add their own character. I've gone through several sets of PAF style pickups and they all sound slightly different, and all capture different subtleties. I'm a real sucker for subtleties, things that just can't be gotten from EQing, stuff like texture, attack, etc. Things like the chirpy sounding attack and note bloom of the high notes in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIArmP6HcZk

and this video....

http://www.royalamps.com/enter/slowburn1.html

With that slightly microphonic honk and again, chirp-y highs on the high notes, are subtleties that just cannot be gotten from any pickup. Even if you take about 10 different PAF flavored pickups. A lot of pickups are good and can come very close, especially in the voicing and getting that slightly nasal, crying tone, but in the end, they're still missing something in the attack that I can't quite put my finger on that only a few pickups out there have, which to me is enough reason to switch pickups.

I will say this though, the BK mule is a great pickup and right up there with most of the boutique PAF pickups I've tried and really would not mind having a set myself at all (I've played several les pauls with BKP PAFs and they're all quite good), I'm just the kind of person who gets qualities from A, B, C from one pickup, and then realize I want C, D, E and end up trying and going through a ton of different pickups.
Ive got some bkps in one of my les pauls and have a second pair for a strat im thinkin about

they are well worth the money whether in the US or anywhere else purely because Tim Mills the creator makes awesome pickups, ive talked to him on several occassions and hes amazingly helpful and talented.

BKPs are well worth it if you care about your sound enough to pay that much
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
I was going to get a set of the BK Mules, but I live in the US and I am looking at almost $350 dollars for them, can anyone suggest a slightly cheaper SD or similar brand that can get a good PAF sound?
Quote by whitenihilist
I was going to get a set of the BK Mules, but I live in the US and I am looking at almost $350 dollars for them, can anyone suggest a slightly cheaper SD or similar brand that can get a good PAF sound?
Wolfetone Dr. Vs are one of the favorites on the LPF and they're very reasonably priced. I've played a set, they do indeed sound very good but are very transparent and will really let the tone of the guitar shine through for better or for worse. Most folks have been putting them into historics and VOS guitars.

Also don't count out Seymour Duncans. The Antiquities are great pickups, but the aged magnets really make them a little too soft and weak sounding, stick a fully charged A2 in there and they come to life. And the RS Fralins are supposedly quite good as well, I've never tried a set myself. A nice little demo of some of the ones mentioned...

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121619

But this is if you want to go cheaper, if you can bear to spend the extra cash, these are what I'd be looking at...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZzV2RK1CWY

Expensive, but holy christ...

If I were you, I'd be looking at the Wolfetones. Especially since he's currently having a 20% sale. It's just me, but I personally could not justify spending the extra for Bareknuckles for PAF style pickups when Wolfe does it so well for so much cheaper.

I'm currently using WCR Fillmores, which are not really PAF style, but sound great for classic rock, and '70s hard rock (think Schenker or Mick Ralphs)