It is highly likely I'm going to sound retarded when I say this, but is it okay to clean your fretboard with dusting compound (furniture cleaner)?

I used to use it to clean my guitar and my fretboard (maple), but I stopped when I noticed my fretboard get lighter every time I cleaned it. It was a nice dark maple, but now there are some lighter places on it.

Is it just because it was that dirty? Or it is bad for the fretboard?
Last edited by Dregen at Jul 30, 2009,
It depends what kind wood the fretboard is made of. I would stop, and buy some guitar polish.

I like Dr. Ducks. Very nice.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Yeah, common sense told me to just buy some guitar cleaner and etc., but I didn't have any money on hand.

I'm just asking this because my fretboard is dirty as hell and I still don't have much money (but I should soon, fixing 3 laptops this weekend).
YEahh i've used furniture cleaner before and nothing too catastrophic happened it's probably not terribly good for your fretboard though
Quote by Dregen
It is highly likely I'm going to sound retarded when I say this, but is it okay to clean your fretboard with dusting compound (furniture cleaner)?

I used to use it to clean my guitar and my fretboard (maple), but I stopped when I noticed my fretboard get lighter every time I cleaned it. It was a nice dark maple, but now there are some lighter places on it.

Is it just because it was that dirty? Or it is bad for the fretboard?

if it's a maple board it's most likely a finished board. so a damp cloth is all you need.

oils and silicone based products like furniture polish will just smear and stain the board.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If you have a finished maple board a damp cloth will do fine. If you have rosewood, ebony, etc lemon oil is what you need although I have heard of other people using different oils. It worries me when I hear people who clean fretboards with anything they can find because they are strapped for cash. Lem-oil is like $4.
Quote by fretz86
If you have a finished maple board a damp cloth will do fine. If you have rosewood, ebony, etc lemon oil is what you need although I have heard of other people using different oils. It worries me when I hear people who clean fretboards with anything they can find because they are strapped for cash. Lem-oil is like $4.

Indeed and the bottles you buy them in last for ages so there's nearly no excuse not to buy a bottle unless you have to decide between feeding the family or cleaning your guitar although a true guitarist will skip a weeks food just to have their guitar clean.