I'm starting to get into some prog bands (Dream Theater, Periphery, Meshuggah) I'm getting a C-7 Hellraiser anytime now and I was just wondering what kind of effects I should pick up.

So far I was thinking...

- Delay
- Some reverb
- Maybe a loop station

Thats all I can think of right now, so I just need some suggestions on what type effects would give me a nice sorta of trippy Prog sound

Amp is a peavey 3120

and if you guys have any other good prog metal bands that I should listen to then feel free to say them

Thanks

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu9i1L0xRl4 at the begining of this vid what is that effect sounds like a delay but I'm not sure if it something else
Last edited by metalcorefan at Jul 30, 2009,
Delay, Reverb, Looper and maybe some modulation effects.

And try Porcupine Tree.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I'd recommend a chorus pedal as well, and maybe an EQ.

As for bands, I recommend Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, Symphony X, Rush, etc.

Edit: And Porcupine Tree.

Edit2: How does the 3120 handle prog?

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Last edited by MetalGS3SE at Jul 30, 2009,
Alright awesome so what would be a good

- Chorus
- Delay (I was thinking memory man)
- EQ (mxr 10 band?)
- Reverb

I had doubts about the 3120 but once I got a tone I liked I fell in love, its amazing for Progy stuff, and the cleans are actually quit nice

Edit: wow Porcupine Tree is awesome, any good Opeth songs I should check out?
Last edited by metalcorefan at Jul 30, 2009,
Quote by metalcorefan

- Chorus
- EQ (mxr 10 band?)
- Reverb

I had doubts about the 3120 but once I got a tone I liked I fell in love, its amazing for Progy stuff, and the cleans are actually quit nice

Sounds good. I've been wanting to play one but haven't been able to. I'm going to try and get my hands on a Laney VH100R when I decide to upgrade, but I'm keeping my eye out for alternatives.

Edit: For Opeth songs, try starting with the Blackwater Park album. I also highly recommend the Still Life album. Try starting with Harvest or Bleak, or maybe Face of Melinda.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Last edited by MetalGS3SE at Jul 30, 2009,
Depends on how much you're willing to spend.

Chorus: Used Boss CE-2, Electro-Harmonix Small Clone, Modtone Aqua Chorus are all good.

Delay: If you're looking at a Memory Man, look at a Line6 DL4 (my mate in a prog metal band uses this and swears by it) or a TC Electronics Nova.

EQ: MXR 10 band is probably best if you're willing to pay that much - personally I reckon a 6 band is better value for money.

Reverb: Used rack stuff is the best here - Alesis Microverb is my favourite. If you have to go pedal, Line6 Verbzilla.

Other Stuff: Look into a flanger (EHX Electric Mistress is quite good), phaser (MXR Phase 90 is popular but I like the EHX Small Clone) and wah (Ibanez WD-7 is best at high gain) as well.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Depends on how much you're willing to spend.

Chorus: Used Boss CE-2, Electro-Harmonix Small Clone, Modtone Aqua Chorus are all good.

Delay: If you're looking at a Memory Man, look at a Line6 DL4 (my mate in a prog metal band uses this and swears by it) or a TC Electronics Nova.

EQ: MXR 10 band is probably best if you're willing to pay that much - personally I reckon a 6 band is better value for money.

Reverb: Used rack stuff is the best here - Alesis Microverb is my favourite. If you have to go pedal, Line6 Verbzilla.

Other Stuff: Look into a flanger (EHX Electric Mistress is quite good), phaser (MXR Phase 90 is popular but I like the EHX Small Clone) and wah (Ibanez WD-7 is best at high gain) as well.

I will most likely be purchasing over the next few months maybe around christmas time, so basically every pedal under $150

Yea the 6-band EQ would probably be better
Quote by MetalGS3SE
Sounds good. I've been wanting to play one but haven't been able to. I'm going to try and get my hands on a Laney VH100R when I decide to upgrade, but I'm keeping my eye out for alternatives.

Edit: For Opeth songs, try starting with the Blackwater Park album. I also highly recommend the Still Life album. Try starting with Harvest or Bleak, or maybe Face of Melinda.

Yea the 3120 is a solid amp, I haven't tried the Laney so I cant say anything about that, I'll see how she handels a 7 string suposivly Rustey Cooley uses the 3120 so I'm stoked about that
Quote by metalcorefan

- Chorus
- EQ (mxr 10 band?)
- Reverb

Edit: wow Porcupine Tree is awesome, any good Opeth songs I should check out?

For Opeth listen to Bleak, Deliverance, Blackwater Park, etc...

Also check out Riverside, Three, Cynic, Circus Maximus, Planet X.
Quote by metalcorefan

any good Opeth songs I should check out?

All of them. But some of their best IMO are Blackwater Park, Porcelain Heart,
Heir Apparent, Beneath the Mire, The Grand Conjuration, Harvest, Ending Credits, To Rid The Disease.
Last edited by Toolfan11 at Jul 30, 2009,
join my periphery group

and yes, i would recommend some sort of digital delay, an eq, and an overdrive
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
The entire album Damnation and the entire album Deliverance are staples for Opeth to me.
I recommend chorus along with those.