Hello, I have recently wanted to make a medieval like sound song on an electric, for this what I want to do is mix acoustic like styles with powermetal kinda thing, but I dont really want it to be too much powermetal, I want to come up with something like you would hear in maybe a lord of the rings movie, the background music, anyone know any techniques or scales that I could start from?

A good example is like the intro to this song : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyvPe0uqjjY&feature=related but with a lil bit of a metal touch
Last edited by flamedragon88 at Jul 30, 2009,
i'm not sure theory wise what to say about making a medieval type song, but the song you pointed out has some very strong folk influences. try listening to some folk or anything finnish. Finnish power metal usually has this type of stuff and more, its sick!
Member #40 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join.
i would post a song i made on this site.. but its only finale song writing and i only have the demo so i cnt convert the file into mp3...
The example seems to just to be in an ordinary minor key, it's all just about how you phrase the notes. If you notice, the notes in the melody all seem to come in groups of three, then a small break. Try doing it with 4 groups of 3 notes. If you were doing it in A minor for example, you could do "Am, F, C, G| Am, Bmb7 (or just B5), C (lasts for 2 bars)" for the chords with the same kind of tempo as the example and then make a melody over the top with your collections of 3 notes. You could also try some chords where you only pluck the root and 3rd notes, kind of like the start of Fight Fire With Fire.
I have the totally opposite problem, all my songs have a medieval vibe to them. Write them in minor keys, and fool around with the middle strings alot.
Quote by mccabe24
One word my friend...

MANOWAR!!!

The ultimate medieval metal band!

^^ This!
Quote by TheBigProjekt
I have the totally opposite problem, all my songs have a medieval vibe to them. Write them in minor keys, and fool around with the middle strings alot.

Lol i have the same problem when i pick up an acoustic and someone is playing open chords. He has a good point