So this is a first hash of my stuff without vocals (btw if you have mic recomendations please share!). As of now it sounds like explosions in the sky a little... I would love some comments before i master the tracks, mod them, and put on some vocals. It's at: Here . Thanks for looking and if you have any technical music knowledge and some tips, please share. This my first go and I want it to be halfway decent. Thanks for the help!

Mike
Last edited by SleepyDrewgre07 at Jul 31, 2009,
I really liked "Plumes of Smoke" and "Uphill", those sounded great. I think "Unequal Copies" would sound better if the guitars were put just a little louder into the mix, though. It did remind me of explosions in the sky. The sound quality of "Harmonix" seemed a bit low. I don't have any advice on recording, though, i'm still struggling with making mine sound decent.
Keep it up.
Quote by SleepyDrewgre07
So this is a first hash of my stuff without vocals (btw if you have mic recomendations please share!). As of now it sounds like explosions in the sky a little... I would love some comments before i master the tracks, mod them, and put on some vocals. It's at: Here . Thanks for looking and if you have any technical music knowledge and some tips, please share. This my first go and I want it to be halfway decent. Thanks for the help!

Mike

i liked it, sounded quite a lot like explosions in the sky. however at same time that is a curse in my opinion because they can be incredibly boring.

so my recommendations, you have good ideas as for little hooks to build up into grand post-rock songs, however i would vary it up a lot more, listen to the pioneers of the genre rather than the more generic bands that make up the genre today.

start off with Slint and Tortoise and go from there. obviously Godspeed is another good place to hear how great post-rock sounds. i assume you already know this though!

(i'm not a massive fan of explosions, though they certainly arent *bad*)

As for recording quality i didnt think it was really bad at all, i thought it was all pretty good, better than mine i'd say anyways!

check out my project (in sig), its got a lot of post-rock influences in with heavier and funkier stuff.