How and where could I mod this to have a clipping switch? I'd be using 2 silicon rectifier diodes in parallel. So when it's off, the signal is bypassed. I think on/on switch? And using a higher ohm rated pot on the gain will give me more or less gain? I think more.

And I have no idea what that purple circled area means. Can someone tell me? What caps do I use? I assume Poly Film. If I can't find poly film, then can I use metal film or even just regular PC board caps as long as they're rated for at least 9v?

Also, do I take all the grounds to the output or input jacks or something completely separate?

And does the on/off switch for the whole thing go in the power area? the place where it says 9v.

Thanks and please excuse my neophytism. I am new at this stuff, and this is going to be my first project as it seems simple enough.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Last edited by apak at Jul 31, 2009,
[IMG]http://runoffgroove.com/ruby.png

How and where could I mod this to have a clipping switch? I'd be using 2 silicon rectifier diodes in parallel. So when it's off, the signal is bypassed. I think on/on switch?
There really isn't a great place to add that here. Usually it's added after a gain stage, but connecting it at the speaker is way late.

Maybe add the back-to-back diodes in the gain control circuit?

You might also consider changing the configuration of the buffer to provide gain, like in a Big Daddy. You could then put the diodes in parallel with the input of the IC.
Quote by apak
And using a higher ohm rated pot on the gain will give me more or less gain? I think more.
More resistance in that loop will give you less gain.

Quote by apak
And I have no idea what that purple circled area means. Can someone tell me?
It's a jFET.

Quote by apak
Also, do I take all the grounds to the output or input jacks or something completely separate?
running all the grounds out to one jack or the other would be a mess. Use a buss on your perf board. A somewhat larger gauge solid wire would be convenient.

Quote by apak
And does the on/off switch for the whole thing go in the power area? the place where it says 9v.

Thanks.
You could add a switch in series with the (+) for the battery, or you could use a stereo jack for the input and connect the battery (-) to the ring terminal. That would disconnect the battery unless a guitar cord was plugged in.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Jul 31, 2009,
Thanks SYK.

I don't get why adding a clipping switch at the speaker is too late. Will it sound like ass or is it just impractical?

You think I can buy a JFET at radio shack? I dunno how it looks. Is it sorta like a resistor with 3 wires coming out of it instead of two?

That's a good idea with the stereo jack. Like EMG's. Never thought of that.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Last edited by apak at Jul 31, 2009,
Quote by apak
Thanks SYK.

I don't get why adding a clipping switch at the speaker is too late. Will it sound like ass or is it just impractical?
back to back diodes clip by not allowing the signal to exceed the forward voltage of a diode when it conducts. That would limit your signal to 0.7v rms at the speaker. assuming an 8 ohm speaker, that's less than 1/10 watt.

Also, you'll be dumping a lot of current into those diodes. They'll probably be able to handle it, but that IC will get quite hot.

Thinking about it again, you might use more diodes in series to increase the voltage it clamps to. Still, it's kind of a brute force approach, that late in the circuit.

Quote by apak
You think I can buy a JFET at radio shack? I dunno how it looks. Is it sorta like a resistor with 3 wires coming out of it instead of two?
Yeah, ratshack has them. It will look the same as a transistor. epoxy case, basically cylindrical shape with a flat side, and 3 leads coming out of one end.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
back to back diodes clip by not allowing the signal to exceed the forward voltage of a diode when it conducts. That would limit your signal to 0.7v rms at the speaker. assuming an 8 ohm speaker, that's less than 1/10 watt.

Also, you'll be dumping a lot of current into those diodes. They'll probably be able to handle it, but that IC will get quite hot.

Thinking about it again, you might use more diodes in series to increase the voltage it clamps to. Still, it's kind of a brute force approach, that late in the circuit.

So if I stick it on the gain pot similar to the way I do on my tone pot on my guitar, will it increase gain and send a signal through the diodes at the same time when I roll it up? If so, that sounds like what I could do. And it's going to be a headphone amp, so the ohm rating of the speaker will be like 1/2 ohms or something I guess.

And thanks man. you're awesome
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack