Hey everyone. I wanna remove the humbucker rings and springs from my guitar and "direct couple" them aka screw or bolt them to the guitar. Then I have made up Brazilian rosewood humbucker covers to fill that small gap. But how do I exactly get them hard mounted to the body???
Why the hell would you want that? Some EVH mojo? Either way, just screw them into the wood and put a wooden block or something in between the pickup and the body wood.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Ive heard alot about this in reviews and guitar building that it increases tone, sustain, and the brilliance of your guitar. Check it out at Ed Roman guitars .com
A. Ed roman's a douchebag. Seriously.
B. I like how direct mounted humbuckers look, and I've not a clue if they sound any different.
C.loosen the pickup rings all the way, take out the springs, off the rings, get a block of wood(pine, maple, metal such as aluminum, stainless steel, and brass work too) to screw through and provide a shim so your pickup isn't too far from the strings, and having it situated such that the screw goes through it before the body would be wise, also, no rattles or anything.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Big problem with direct mounting is the mounting screws. The little threaded holes in pickups are to small for a suitable wood screw to go thru and into the body. You would have to drill the hole out larger which would then make it hard to mount them the conventional way again. And many humbuckers out there you might have to mod the pickups or be creative w your spacers. As many have the pole screws sticking out or other obstructions to prevent level mounting.

As for ed roman hes just one of those people who are legends in their own mind. He spouts alot of stuff. According to him the guitars he makes are perfect and all other brands are junk, course that doesnt stop him from making money selling other brands of guitars.. So its best to take what he says with a grain of salt.
Quote by TAweaver09
Ive heard alot about this in reviews and guitar building that it increases tone, sustain, and the brilliance of your guitar. Check it out at Ed Roman guitars .com

the interaction between the strings and the pickups is a magnetic field. how would screwing the pickups directly to the body without springs or cushioning have any effect whatsoever on tone, sustain or brilliance? sounds like marketing bs. if it had any effect on tone, sustain or brilliance you would have had major guitar makers selling guitars and charging extra for that added tone, sustain and brilliance.
Quote by TAweaver09

I smell hogwash.
A piezo pickup would be affected by mounting direct to the body as opposed to a pickguard. But as noisefarmer said, your humbuckers pick up the magnetic field of the strings, not the vibration of the strings.
It does have a difference, according to David Collins. He is a member here lately, and he has more experience than most of us ever will. He was saying something that when he had direct mounted pickups to an aluminum neck through, there was high frequency feedback until he mounted them too springs. Hopefully he says something in here, his posts are too intelligent for this forum.... it's a GREAT change.
Pickups are responsive to distance, and to an extent vibration.
Vibrating the pickup itself with the guitar body, which would only be different at high volumes from other mounts, i believe has an effect.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!