Hey guys, I am 14 years old and have been playing guitar for about 4 years. I practice a lot of exercises and scales and is a very fast player. But when it comes to improvisation. Im not the best. I know my scales and can play them good but i cant seem to just make up good improv. I dont know if it is because i dont know enough licks or i just cant do it. Could someone help me out or start me off with a good path of becomming a good improvosational player.

Thanks you!!
^What he said. Improvising over silence isn't very constructive, you want to be improvising over your favourite tunes, over backing tracks etc..
If you are just listening to a backing track without your guitar can you hear how you'd want a solo to sound? If you can, leave the guitar out of the equation for a bit and sing it, record yourself singing it, then try transposing it onto your guitar.

Another way of getting started is to limit yourself to just the root of the scale and a couple of notes near it - so you're only using 3 or 4 notes maximum. Then improvise with them. That way you can focus on rhythm and phrasing and listen to what it sounds like, without worrying about what note to play next. When you're comfortable either add a couple more notes in or move to another part of the neck and do the same thing again.

Part of improv is building your own vocabulary. Every time you come up with a lick you like - whether its one you made up or someone else's - write it down. That way you won't forget it and you can use it again another time.

Practice scales in different patterns too - you'll probably never want to play a scale straight up and down in a piece of music, so don't just practice them like that. Practice them in coils of 3s and 4s, single string, 2nps, 3nps, use pivot notes, make up your own patterns.

Don't expect yourself to come up with a world shattering solo straight away - it takes time. But the more you practice improv the easier (and more fun) it gets
Thanks guys, I agree with zhilla about the patterns of scales and different licks. I will start focusing on the creativity part more than the technical of guitar.
one helpful thing is to remember little song/solo fragments that sound cool and piece them together/work them into your improvisation
Quote by zhilla
If you are just listening to a backing track without your guitar can you hear how you'd want a solo to sound? If you can, leave the guitar out of the equation for a bit and sing it, record yourself singing it, then try transposing it onto your guitar.

Another way of getting started is to limit yourself to just the root of the scale and a couple of notes near it - so you're only using 3 or 4 notes maximum. Then improvise with them. That way you can focus on rhythm and phrasing and listen to what it sounds like, without worrying about what note to play next. When you're comfortable either add a couple more notes in or move to another part of the neck and do the same thing again.

Part of improv is building your own vocabulary. Every time you come up with a lick you like - whether its one you made up or someone else's - write it down. That way you won't forget it and you can use it again another time.

Practice scales in different patterns too - you'll probably never want to play a scale straight up and down in a piece of music, so don't just practice them like that. Practice them in coils of 3s and 4s, single string, 2nps, 3nps, use pivot notes, make up your own patterns.

Don't expect yourself to come up with a world shattering solo straight away - it takes time. But the more you practice improv the easier (and more fun) it gets

Um yeah, that's pretty much what I was going to write
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Your like the opposite of me! I am pretty good I improv, but I can't really shred or anything.Im almost 14 and Ive been playing for 4 years also. And zhilla said it all pretty much haha
i guess im more of a shredder but im gonna start praticing more improv.
Quote by steven seagull
Um yeah, that's pretty much what I was going to write

haha sure, i would have been to lazy to type that whole thing. thanks for taking time to help me tho zhilla
Try improvising with a drum machine. Zhilla's advise was well phrased, i agree with him. But drum machine, i suggest that. =) I had this problem, i broke out the digitech i don't use and used the drum machine feature, and started playing. After a while it started developing into a little funk and jazz with a bit less blues. Improvisation is about experimenting and making something new, and the more you practice, the more you will know about what works and what doesn't.
I don't know if i'm the only one, but i find it easier to improvise while jamming with a person 9or drum machine), because even if they are just playing a chord progression it gives you something to build on.