When I started getting involved in my local music scene when I was 13, most of the rock shows of any sort for those who are under revolved around this all ages club, Rhino's. There's shows every Friday and Saturday, maybe even Thursday for big touring bands. The person at the sound board was always competent and actually cared about how the band sounded, whether it was a local band at their first gig or Dillenger Escape Plan. Both nights, there would always be a pretty large amount of people inside Rhino's, about a little over half full or so.

Now, three years later, I'm 16, and still attending Rhino's. Shows are still on the same nights, but other wise it's different. The sound people might as well be picked up off the street, and pick obvious favorites, even out of local bands. Just last friday, I saw one band have three working vocal mics, and their two guitar and bass amp were mic'd, along with the kit. Next band, the sound person magically only could run two vocal mics, and only had one instrument mic. I found a whole crate of the mics the sound person used before, pointed them out, and I was pointedly ignored. This band made $75 dollars their first time their, with no one having heard of them(they're from a different town in the area), splitting the $5 per person admission between two other bands and the club. This time they barely made anything. Also, hardly anyone shows up anymore. There were about 15 people last Friday, and that was a lot more than I had been seeing in past weeks. The only time I see a crowd is for national touring bands.

How do you guys think I can help bring the local music scene back to life?

TL;DR Local scene used to rock, three years later it sucks balls. How do I bring it back?
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
It happens, deal with it... Pass out flyers or something? You can't force people to listen to music... Like here in va beach, all we get is ****ty tribute bands and crappy **** like ICP at the Norva... Yet, i learn to deal with it and drive somewhere else.
Look up the Boston Beatdown, and do something to that effect.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
be like steel panther, hahaha
YOU WILL REMEMBER THIS SIG

8/7/09 man, the pear broke loose.

Rule #1 - I'm the Boss
Rule #2 - The Boss is always right
Rule #3 - When the boss is wrong see rule #2
I wish I knew. Here in Brantford our music scene varies. Although it's very strong lately. We've got these guys playing here a lot:

www.myspace.com/misguidedaggression

and my bro's band

www.myspace.com/ourladyofbloodshed

and other bands like Odium, The Karma Cure, etc.. Ontario seems to produce some good stuff in the metal scene anyways. Plus there's my band! We're pretty decent, not as good as the bands i just listed though lol.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
You're from Bloomington... do you know Pat Brown or the band Paradigm Shift?

Yeah. They're on indefinite hiatus sadly.
You from Bloomington too?

I know I can't FORCE people to listen to music, but is there anything I can do to TRY and bring back some life?
Quote by Jackal58
Shiiiiittt,least you got a scene. OC's been a ghost town for music for a while.I kind of wish that the ska revival scene hadn't died here because now all that walks around is all of the scene trash of now.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by We'realltoBlame
Yeah. They're on indefinite hiatus sadly.
You from Bloomington too?

Nahh. Pat used to go to my school out in central New York and was actually at one point the bassist of a band I was in, so that's basically how I know him/them.
And their music is pretty sick.
A music defibrillator?
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
Nahh. Pat used to go to my school out in central New York and was actually at one point the bassist of a band I was in, so that's basically how I know him/them.
And their music is pretty sick.

That explains why I hadn't seen him around until he joined Paradigm Shift. We don't talk much outside of when they would play shows. Or we talk about Coheed & Cambria. XD
Quote by Jackal58
Rent a warehouse and start your own concert place. Then advertise it and pay your artists more.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Offer free candy at the entrance.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Money: How do I get it in large enough quantities to open up a venue?
I like the idea though, I already think I know a pace or two in town that would work.
Quote by Jackal58
Spread the word about local bands, promote the hell out of stuff. get really involved by becoming all the band's friends, and being known as the guy who's always at that show.

"hey man, is We'realltoBlame here tonight?"

The friends you make with local acts are likely to be the best friends you have.

It's all about helping your fellow scene member out, you've gotta do your part with helping, and that includes making friends.
GTFO my sig
Quote by We'realltoBlame
I like the idea though, I already think I know a pace or two in town that would work.

Make a decent amount yourself, create a business plan, apply for a loan.
Quote by We'realltoBlame

You just need a rich benefactor to help you achieve your great expectations.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Im tryin to work that backwards, i want to get rid of the local music scene, all the bands sound the same and they all suck! and i hate all the scene kids popping up.

btw, im from the scene where Mychildren Mybride is from.
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
Kill all of the scene kids and the people who like music will start coming back.

Quote by Dimefan69
Im tryin to work that backwards, i want to get rid of the local music scene, all the bands sound the same and they all suck! and i hate all the scene kids popping up.

btw, im from the scene where Mychildren Mybride is from.

Wat
Last edited by deaththrashcore at Jul 31, 2009,
I got an idea: hold a music fest somewhere that isn't Rhino's, so it doesn't suck. There's plenty of awesome bands here, just no one listening.
Quote by Jackal58