I'm looking into routing my tele bridge pickup to a humbucker size, but I'm not too much of a handyman. What would be the average cost of routing a body at a guitar tech?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
it all really depends. i imagine it could cost upwards of atleast $100
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by Darkflame
i never understood what routing meant...

I dont exactly know how to put it, but in this case, it is expanding the hole in the wood that fits a single coil pickup into one large enough to fit a humbucker. A router is like a circular drill bit in a way.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
stacked buckers ftmfw.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by dcdossett65
I dont exactly know how to put it, but in this case, it is expanding the hole in the wood that fits a single coil pickup into one large enough to fit a humbucker. A router is like a circular drill bit in a way.

oh i get it
so if you have a pickguard, technically, you don't need to route, right ?
Quote by Darkflame
oh i get it
so if you have a pickguard, technically, you don't need to route, right ?

No, some guitars are already routed for humbuckers, but it's not the case on the Tele. Also, I'll have to get a Gotoh bridge made for a humbucker.

I dont hear great things about stacked humbuckers, how do they compare?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Last edited by dcdossett65 at Jul 31, 2009,
Well stacked or rail humbuckers dont sound exactly the same as regular humbuckers. But its a much more cost effective and easier solution in many guitars. Like a tele you dont have to route or buy a new bridge. And it will give you a beefier sound than a single coil. There just isnt as much choice as w true humbuckers where there are hundreds to chose from.
You could probably take it to any woodworking shop and have them do it for much less than a guitar tech.