I have a Vox AC4 and a 2x12 cabinet that I had shipped empty because i have 2 Warehouse Guitar Speakers here to put in it. Both speakers are 16ohm and the AC4 is 16ohm, so how would I wire the speakers up to have the correct resistance?
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
What Ohms are the speakers? You cannot get an answer with out the speaker impedances...
I hope they are 8Ohms speakers because it will not wire up correctly if they are not..

Assuming they are 8Ohms you would have to wire them in series.. as in speaker A's- to speaker B's+ than speaker B's- to jackplate and Speaker A's+ to jackplate..

Go here clicky Go to page 29 in this .PDF and it should all be explained to you with pics and everything. Easy peasey Japanease.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by boxcarmonument
What Ohms are the speakers? You cannot get an answer with out the speaker impedances...
I hope they are 8Ohms speakers because it will not wire up correctly if they are not..

Assuming they are 8Ohms you would have to wire them in series.. as in speaker A's- to speaker B's+ than speaker B's- to jackplate and Speaker A's+ to jackplate..

Go here clicky Go to page 29 in this .PDF and it should all be explained to you with pics and everything. Easy peasey Japanease.

Like I said in the OP, both speakers are 16ohm. So I need to send them back and get 8ohm speakers?
Yes to wire it as a 2x12 you are going to need 2, 8Ohm speakers. If you wire 16Ohms speakers in series your going to get 32Ohms or if you wire them parallel they are going to be 8Ohms..

So in other words: Yes you are going to have to send them back.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Is it possible to put in a switch or wire it so that could have me running one speaker at 16ohms and then both speakers in parallel at 8ohm..cause I have an amp that runs at 8ohm, and one that does 16ohm :S
Last edited by _KurtCobain_77 at Jul 31, 2009,
^I believe thats possible, I'm not sure on the wiring, or you could have two outputs.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
^I believe thats possible, I'm not sure on the wiring, or you could have two outputs.

The cab has 2 inputs.
it shouldnt be hard to wire up a DPDT switch so you can choose either 8 or 16 ohms. lemme draw something up in paint real quick for ya.
Quote by jof1029
it shouldnt be hard to wire up a DPDT switch so you can choose either 8 or 16 ohms. lemme draw something up in paint real quick for ya.

that would be much appreciated.
ok, so this should work, but then again it is 3 am. so hopefully someone else will look this over, cause im going to bed soon.
ok, so i made 2 and i think both would work. first one uses a DPDT switch, second one a SPDT switch. i dont think the second one would work now that i look at it, but i dont feel like remaking my picture.

so uh, just hold on this till someone else looks at it or i look at it when i get up.
Attachments:
speaker swtich.JPG
bump
Can anyone confirm jof's diagram?
bump
sorry for not getting back to you, ive been a bit busy. second one wont work for sure. first one should work i think. when the switch is activating the top section, the top four bars are active, with the top two on each side being connected. so amp in goes to the top two sections. each one is connected to a speaker, so both are then in parallel.

then when the switch is down, the bottom four bars are active and the two from each side are connected. so the right side is connected to nothing, so that speaker shouldnt recieve any signal. however the left side should get signal to that speaker, meaning you have one speaker active.

so up = 8 ohms and down = 16 ohms if you have 16 ohm speakers.
Quote by jof1029
sorry for not getting back to you, ive been a bit busy. second one wont work for sure. first one should work i think. when the switch is activating the top section, the top four bars are active, with the top two on each side being connected. so amp in goes to the top two sections. each one is connected to a speaker, so both are then in parallel.

then when the switch is down, the bottom four bars are active and the two from each side are connected. so the right side is connected to nothing, so that speaker shouldnt recieve any signal. however the left side should get signal to that speaker, meaning you have one speaker active.

so up = 8 ohms and down = 16 ohms if you have 16 ohm speakers.

Thank you very much. Now to buy me a DPDT switch.
Jof, I found this diagram

is it showing what your diagram is made for? The only difference I see is where the switch is in the line of things, does it make a difference?
Quote by anguskilminster
Kurt, follow this link:- http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/features/drdecibel/index.asp Click on the select a secret drop down box & then on speaker wiring diagrams

I did man, it doesn't give me any information about the issue at hand. I need a proper diagram to do mono/stereo wiring with a DPDT switch so that I can have both speakers at 8ohm and one speaker at 16ohm at the flip of a switch. If it was a simple wiring job your link would have been perfect.
well that one would work, and it has the ability to run both speakers separately. so basicly you can run 2 amps into their own speakers, or just one amp into both speakers in parallel. so yes that would work, it just has some extra functionality.
Quote by jof1029
well that one would work, and it has the ability to run both speakers separately. so basicly you can run 2 amps into their own speakers, or just one amp into both speakers in parallel. so yes that would work, it just has some extra functionality.

I think I'd rather have the way you wired it to be honest, it looks less complicated lol.
Can you explain the "to amp" and "from amp" parts though.
from amp is basicly like the top part of the jacks shown in the other pic, so like the tip. then the to amp is the ring part of the jack. so both go to the jack, basicly one is like the send and the other is like the ground.