Hey all - Newbie here from Kobe, Japan. Looking into buying my first electric guitar because I've had to leave my acoustic back in the states.

Hoping to keep it under about 500 bucks (guitar and amp) and playing rock - I'm crap so probably bit of a brit punk sound. If that makes any sense to anyone, I feel rewarded. I've heard that Gibsons are nice, anything other than that, I know that electric guitars have six strings and they get chicks

Any help appreciated.
Hmm. At a budget that low, I'd go with Agile guitars. You can get them from Rondomusic.com.
And for the amp, A Peavey or Blackstar. But $500 for a guitar and amp is really limiting.
And over all, avoid the Fender Frontman and Marshall MG amps. They suck.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
well i personally yould look into any local pawn shops. they usually have pretty good guitars and if your lucky like me youll find a rare one for a good price. i found a clear guitar for $200! but when your looking i would lean towards gibson or fender if you play brit punk...for an amp, just get a small peavey, fender...i cant think of any other small amp brands. but you dont need a huge amp for your first electric.
well for u i would say a epiphone les paul special 2 i got one and trust me they play like a gibson i would actually prefer it over a gibson cuz its cheaper and its about the same for the amp i think they now make a beginners pack for it now so it should come with a decent amp i think its the same one i bought the amp will last u but its not gonna be amazing but for the guitar trust me that's all u can do for ur price range and for the quality of it its a very nice guitar u cant go wrong
Quote by gtosteve65
well for u i would say a epiphone les paul special 2 i got one and trust me they play like a gibson i would actually prefer it over a gibson cuz its cheaper and its about the same for the amp i think they now make a beginners pack for it now so it should come with a decent amp i think its the same one i bought the amp will last u but its not gonna be amazing but for the guitar trust me that's all u can do for ur price range and for the quality of it its a very nice guitar u cant go wrong

LOL

Epi can't touch Gibson. That's like comparing a Squier to a PRS.

They may be made by the same company, but Epi's build quality is utter crap. And electronics. Which pretty much makes Epiphone crap. Especially the Special line.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Epi can't touch Gibson. That's like comparing a Squier to a PRS.

You realize this means nothing to me, right? sorry, put it in terms of....baseball and I'll get ya.
if you're in japan take a look at all your local shops. you could very likely find something japanese-made from the likes of tokai and all the other quality japanese makers for around your budget, especially if you're willing to go second-hand.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, You should brush up on your guitar knowledge. Find out how to set up your guitar, What all of the parts on a guitar do, What the differences are between differently made parts, Etc. For example, Find out the differences between tall and low frets and the differences between wide and thin frets. You'll want to know this and more when buying a guitar to avoid getting a junk guitar.

If you're looking for guitar brands though, I wouldn't recommend Gibson right now because their quality control is questionable. Fender is generally better. Oh and you should also look into Mosrite. Although not popular outside of Japan they generally are known as guitars played by The Ventures and The Ramones.

Here's a demonstration video of a Mark I.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxyys98-ZVI
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Jul 31, 2009,