Taking advice of someone who has been here a longer time than me....clickety click...copy, click paste, aaaaand

Hey all - Newbie here from Kobe, Japan. Looking into buying my first electric guitar because I've had to leave my acoustic back in the states.

Hoping to keep it under about 500 bucks (guitar and amp) and playing rock - I'm crap so probably bit of a brit punk sound. If that makes any sense to anyone, I feel rewarded. I've heard that Gibsons are nice, anything other than that, I know that electric guitars have six strings and they get chicks

Any help appreciated.
Since you're in Japan, I'm not sure how much things will cost. But, are you just playing guitar to get chicks?

Either way, you can get a used MiM strat and a Microcube for that budget.
Amps:
Fender Frontman 15r

Guitars:
Epiphone Dot Studio
Squier Strat

Pedals:
Crybaby Original Wah
Boss DS-1
A Fender Strat (with a Humbucker) is great for punk...
I have one, and it's incredible...I'm sure you can find one for less than 500, and if you can't, a regular Fender Strat is still great for punk.

A Humbucker makes it sound heavier, fyi...
Quote by VikingGaijin
Taking advice of someone who has been here a longer time than me....clickety click...copy, click paste, aaaaand

Hey all - Newbie here from Kobe, Japan. Looking into buying my first electric guitar because I've had to leave my acoustic back in the states.

Hoping to keep it under about 500 bucks (guitar and amp) and playing rock - I'm crap so probably bit of a brit punk sound. If that makes any sense to anyone, I feel rewarded. I've heard that Gibsons are nice, anything other than that, I know that electric guitars have six strings and they get chicks

Any help appreciated.

Guitars don't get chicks.... good players do.
Quote by joedruane
A Fender Strat (with a Humbucker) is great for punk...
I have one, and it's incredible...I'm sure you can find one for less than 500, and if you can't, a regular Fender Strat is still great for punk.

A Humbucker makes it sound heavier, fyi...

Alright, when I was in the guitar shop I saw fender strats lined up. is there a big difference in different model types or are they just different colors?

And no, not doing this to get chicks...married. I was just being goofy.
Check if they are fender.
Then, check the price. There are different models though.
Amps:
Fender Frontman 15r

Guitars:
Epiphone Dot Studio
Squier Strat

Pedals:
Crybaby Original Wah
Boss DS-1
Quote by SunDrop
acoustic guitars get the chicks!

Hmmm...unfortunately I have no intention of being that guy who plays to ageing singlephite cougars and middle-aged men cheating on his wife who is probably "off in Jamaica with her friends" in some semi-dive bar. Singers with their damned acoustic guitars singing Eric Clapton and no band because the only people who like them are said ageing singlephite cougars and middle-aged men cheating on his wife who is probably "off in Jamaica with her friends" in some semi-dive bar. Not my scene.

Not ripping on acousics mind you - just the guys that play them in the bars.

Quote by Vikingx

Well said. Again - it was just me being goofy. And good to see another Viking in here!
Last edited by VikingGaijin at Jul 31, 2009,
"orville" models, are really good over there. MIJ gibsons, by gibson, pretty much.
Fender japan also makes some SWEET teles, and a tele can do anything.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Vikingx

Quite the opposite!
get an epiphone les paul studio and a line 6 75w or 30 if u get the 75 you willl push 500 just a bit :P
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112