A friend of mine recently told me that he likes to use the "Light top Heavy bottom" Ernie Ball Slinky strings. I thought it was worth a try, so I picked up a set today and changed the string on my guitar.

Now, the problem is that the action (space between frets and strings) is now ridiculously high. I have a couple reasons in mind, so please let me clarify things.

Firstly, my guitar is a Jackson KE3 with a Floyd Rose (licensed) tremolo system, which means that the action changes with the tension. When I play in drop C, which I usually do, there isn't much tension on the strings so the tremolo system lowers itself further into the guitar and lowers the action. Now that I have these heavier gauge strings, I think there is more tension, pulling the tremolo system up and raising the action. Also, I have the guitar tuned to drop D now, which would further raise it.

Basically, I want to know if I am correct in assuming that heavier strings make a large enough difference to make this much of an impact on my action. I am fairly nervous that this could damage my guitar, and the tremolo system looks like it is really stressed out, I've never seen it this high before.
Is the neck straight?
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Try adjusting the springs in the back of the guitar to change the angle of the bridge.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
You're going to need to put more springs in it or adjust the tension.
You might need to mess with the truss rod.
If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, you can probably take it into a shop to get it done.

And if you're worried about action, I think I remember reading on here that heavier strings can have lower action because they vibrate more horizontally.
I can't tell whether the neck is straight or not, need to find a level or something. Nothing obviously wrong with it at least. I opened up the back panel and there are three springs in there for the tremolo system with two more empty slots, so I think I will pick up a couple springs and see if that can pull the bridge back down.
ok i had this same problem with my guitar, i took it in and they added a spring with reduces the tension also you need to make sure your stringing ur strings so that each loop is lower than the one before it. which will also make the tension go down, i have the same strings great for lower tuning
GEAR:
Ibanez GSA60 guitar
perri blue lighting strap
Digitech RP250 pedal
Marshall MG30 Amp

Quote by Glen
I call these Glen wads, they'll get you high just on flavor alone

FOUNDER OF THE JONAS BROTHERS SUCK group join today
I'm guessing if your just using fairly heavier, and not like 13gauge that you might not need more springs, u may just need to tighten/loosen the springs in the back by taking a screw driver and tightening/loosening the screws holding the springs in the back. It will probably taking some work fiddiling with but it can be done and the action can be made to sit almost anywhere you want it to with a little bit of work.
Take it into a shop and get a proper setup done. I did the same thing with my floyd equipped Ibanez, and it took me close to 3 hours to set up the action and tremolo myself. Best spend the money on a pro and save yourself a lot of frustration.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Thanks for your help, I will certainly add some springs to it, but all this messing around with it sort of scares me. I'm afraid I'll damage it and bam! there's all my money down the drain. I think I'd probably be better of just sticking to normal gauge strings.

One thing, can you clarify what you mean by this, I don't get it:

you need to make sure your stringing ur strings so that each loop is lower than the one before it

thanks.
ok make sure that the when u string them each string has them spun so that the string is strung down making sure of less snapping of strings because of tension and also lowering the tension
GEAR:
Ibanez GSA60 guitar
perri blue lighting strap
Digitech RP250 pedal
Marshall MG30 Amp

Quote by Glen
I call these Glen wads, they'll get you high just on flavor alone

FOUNDER OF THE JONAS BROTHERS SUCK group join today