Ok, I want a new pedal on my pedalboard but Im not sure of what I should get. I'm just now getting rid of my Ernie Ball passive volume pedal and MXR phase 90 since I dont really utilize them too much and just need something to liven up the old board. Right now Im using a chorus, delay, overdrive/distortion pedal and a wah. And yes...I have a pedal tuner.

Anyways, I mostly play Blues, Classic/Alternative/Modern Rock, and Slide guitar. Biggest influences are Jack White, Derek Trucks, Matt Bellamy, and Jimmy Page. Price will probably be around $125-$150. What are some pedal suggestions that you guys can give me. Any thoughts?
My Gear:
Fender Am. Standard Stratocaster
Gibson SG Special Faded
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
Boss DD-20 Delay
Boss Chorus
Dunlop Cry Baby
Planet Waves Pedal Tuner
E-Bow
Boss RC2 possibly. You could do your own rhythm tracks, then solo over top of them, do harmonies, etc.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Go try some out...you have most pedals you should ever really need anyway. Maybe a whammy for doing some cool novelty stuff. I know Bellamy uses one.
With guys like Jack White and Matthew Bellamy in your list of influences, I would say you need a fuzz. The only fuzz I'll play through is an MJM BritBender, which goes for about $180. But you could probably get a Big Muff or similar pedal for much cheaper and be able to emulate a lot of White/Bellamy's tones, or at very least get closer than an overdrive will take you.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
if you like matt belalamy and jack white then you my friend should look in to getting a digitech whammy IV (unless you can find an original on ebay)
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Yeah, I was thinking maybe a Whammy or even the new Big Muff Pi with the wicker control. I don't really need an RC2 since the delay pedal im using has a sound on sound recording feature. I know the RC2 is a lot more detailed than just that one setting on the delay, but it's all I need. Any other ideas?
My Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Boss DD-20 Delay
Boss Chorus
Dunlop Cry Baby
Planet Waves Pedal Tuner
E-Bow
If you like Alternative/modern Rock, you might try throwing a Phaser into the mix. If "livening up" is what you're looking for, that might be perfect. It's certainly a fun effect to experiment with!
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
^that big muff pi with tone wicker is an amazing choice, i loved that pedal when i tried it
i have both an american and a russian big muff on my pedalboard, and to play muse stuff, my russian one works better... i like the american one more overall though

other ideas? i don't know, maybe a flanger ?

how much are you selling your volume pedal for? =p
+1 for the Phaser. Phase is too much fun. All spacey and what not.

I like reverb, a lot, so I tend to want a bunch of Reverb Controls. I bought a Verbzilla. One to think about would be an Octave Shift / Pitch bending pedal. They do some crazy stuff, and evryone I know that has one loves it. Im sure that there not the all time greats, but they rock in there own right.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Not to get off subject, but what's the difference between the US and Russian big muff? In any case, if I got a muff it would probably be the wicker just because it will give me a little more tonal control.

Also, I'm selling my volume pedal to a friend of mine for about $75... I know it seems cheap, but I got it used from somebody for about the same price.
My Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Boss DD-20 Delay
Boss Chorus
Dunlop Cry Baby
Planet Waves Pedal Tuner
E-Bow
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
+1 for the Phaser. Phase is too much fun. All spacey and what not.

I like reverb, a lot, so I tend to want a bunch of Reverb Controls. I bought a Verbzilla. One to think about would be an Octave Shift / Pitch bending pedal. They do some crazy stuff, and evryone I know that has one loves it. Im sure that there not the all time greats, but they rock in there own right.

I already have a phaser and never find myself using it, not even while screwing around or jamming by myself. Anyways, Im using the money I get from selling these two pedals buy a new toy. Im really leaning towards either the wicker Pi or whammy pedal. Keep those suggestions rolling though.
My Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Boss DD-20 Delay
Boss Chorus
Dunlop Cry Baby
Planet Waves Pedal Tuner
E-Bow
Quote by Johnius
Not to get off subject, but what's the difference between the US and Russian big muff? In any case, if I got a muff it would probably be the wicker just because it will give me a little more tonal control.

Also, I'm selling my volume pedal to a friend of mine for about $75... I know it seems cheap, but I got it used from somebody for about the same price.

^indeed, the micro pog is awesome

as for the russian and american, there's not a huge difference, but mainly, the russian one sounds drier to me, with less sustain, a bit less gain. Also, its knobs move by themselves, they don't keep thier place, i had to tape mine so the position didn't change too much lol

edit: anyways, the tone wicker will be very similar to the american, except that it'll have a wicker button. i tried it and fell in love with it, if i ever had to change my american big muff, it'd be for a wicker
Last edited by Darkflame at Jul 31, 2009,
Gotcha, well the way this is sounding, Im going to purchase both... Another paycheck spent before I have it, but oh well. I do enjoy that the whammy is able to get a bass sound at the drop of a heel since I do some overdubbing with my Boss delay. Last thing Im wondering is, does this sound like a reasonable pedal trade off? Letting a volume and phaser go for a Whammy and fuzz?

Oh yeah, where is the wicker fuzz made?
My Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Boss DD-20 Delay
Boss Chorus
Dunlop Cry Baby
Planet Waves Pedal Tuner
E-Bow
Gotcha, Im pretty sure Ive got my mind made up, but Ill definitely check out the micro pog. Thanks for the help guys.
My Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Boss DD-20 Delay
Boss Chorus
Dunlop Cry Baby
Planet Waves Pedal Tuner
E-Bow
Darkflameas for the russian and american, there's not a huge difference, but mainly, the russian one sounds drier to me, with less sustain, a bit less gain. Also, its knobs move by themselves, they don't keep thier place, i had to tape mine so the position didn't change too much lol

Sorry about your knobs, (that came out wrong). But you make the Ruskie sound like he has no balls. The Russian Muff is smoother, or less fuzzy, if thats a way to describe it. More like a distortion box than a fuzz box, it has its uses, and it sounds great for leads.

The NYC issue is tops for that Hendrix/Iommi fuzzy sound, but I guess thats the one if your into that sorta thing. I like the sweet low end dist. overdrive on solos, thats the russians forte.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204