Im going to be getting a valveking 112 and I've already chosen the speaker. Its an Eminence Red Coat The Governor 12" 75W Guitar Speaker. I want to get the tungsol 12AX7 Tube but I don't know if I should change the power tube. Should I? and if so what should I get? Price isn't much of an issue just nothing huge. btw, should I order the speaker 16 ohms? Thanks for the responses
yes order the speaker to match the amp ohmage, which is 16. for powertubes, go for JJ. i have to ask though. what music will you be playing and what kind of features are you looking for in an amp? a valveking plus upgrades is the same price as some other possibly better alternatives.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
Speaker should be 16 ohms. And no, JJs are not a good choice in the Valveking as they tend to further darken the amp's tonal qualities (the Valveking is probably the furthest thing from bright that Peavey has, as far as distortion goes)

Are you getting the VK used?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
well it can handle all three with an od pedal. it'll sound pretty good once you do all the upgrades. if you're not set on it, you could look into some used amps in that price range (vk+upgrades). i upgraded my speaker, and it sounds DECENT. it's a sort of jack of all trades, master of none workhorse type of amp.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
^ The VK will get even better once you put an EQ in the loop...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
^ so i hear. worth looking into, TS.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
Ok, should I just change the pre-amp tube to the tungsol and swap out the speaker? Would there be any reason to swap the power tube?
I don't really think it's entirely necessary to swap the power tubes until they burn out or begin to die.

Look into an equalizer pedal too.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
How many pre-amp tubes would I have to buy in order to swap out the Valveking?
Plus I saw a Boss GE-7 Equalizer pedal. Would that be good for my situation?
The VK has three preamp tubes. Check the VK wiki for more information on tube swaps:

http://ultimate-guitar-valveking.wikispaces.com/

The GE-7 is okay. I never hear particularly great things about it. I use an MXR M-108 with my Valveking, and it's phenomenal (ten bands vs. the Boss's seven).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
The VK has three preamp tubes. Check the VK wiki for more information on tube swaps:

http://ultimate-guitar-valveking.wikispaces.com/

The GE-7 is okay. I never hear particularly great things about it. I use an MXR M-108 with my Valveking, and it's phenomenal (ten bands vs. the Boss's seven).

by the way, could you tell me the settings on your MXR that made the amp sound pretty good? Im not tryin to copy, Im just trying to get a good jumping point.
^ VK thread.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Try the valveking thread mk.II
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
By the time you've got all those accessories for the Valveking and the amp itself, you will have spent an amount of money that could have bought a much better amp.
Quote by michal23
By the time you've got all those accessories for the Valveking and the amp itself, you will have spent an amount of money that could have bought a much better amp.

It would cost $550 to make my amp sound great. Im gonna get an EQ anyway. What amp could I have gotten?
i would say don't bother changing the powertubes. i changed them in mine and in made very very little difference. the valveking is a high gain amp. 100% of the gain comes from the preamp. the power tubes are only there for headroom and to make it loud.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Go check out the Valveking thread dude if you have not already. and the Wiki.

The new 6505+ 112 combo I think is going to be right at $600 and due out this fall. The B52 AT60 112 is great value too for $380.

The VK really comes to life after the upgrades. See my Nud thread.

So I'm in $400 (amp) + $85 (speaker) + $50 (preamp tubes) = $535. Not bad.