Yesterday when i plugged in my guitar to my amp it completely sounded like sh*t!! I mean the any kind of clean or distorted sound just sounded like I had the crappiest gear ever. It didnt sound like this before.

Could this be because I raised the action just slightly for the low E string because it buzzes at times. Or maybe because I havent played with my electric much the last 2 weeks as I just got an acoustic and have been busy playing that one these 2 weeks.

If anyone has a clue it would be greatly appreciated.

Gear
EPI Les Paul Studio
Fender Frontman 15
Digitech rp 255
Last edited by fuzzface at Jul 31, 2009,
What kind of amp is it? If it's a tube amp, you might need to change her tubes.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
it could be many problems:

your guitar, your amp, your ear for starters.

does your guitar have passive or active pickups? if active the batteries might need changing.
check the tone/volume knobs on it, are they low? turn them up.

is your amp tube or solid state? if tube, check the tubes, they might need changing. check the eq settings, are they different from normal? are you playing thru any pedals? if so, check to see if theyre plugged into an adapter/ need fresh batteries.

as for your ear, some people tend to shy away from electrics if playing with an acoustic for extended periods. its natural, nothing can be done except play more electric or balance it out.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
It could be your pick up height. If they fell (like mine tend to do.) it can cause the tone to change. Try raising it, but don't' raise them too high otherwise the magnetic field the pickups generate will mess with your intuneation.
We all started at the bottom. Unless you were Hendrix. It is a fact that he popped out of his mom with a guitar in his hands. I've seen the video!
Quote by Ibanezskater20
It could be your pick up height. If they fell (like mine tend to do.) it can cause the tone to change. Try raising it, but don't' raise them too high otherwise the magnetic field the pickups generate will mess with your sustain.

Edited.

Anyway ts are you able to isolate the problem down to whether it's the amp, cable or guitar? It just involves switching one item at a time while keeping the other two as the same equipment to find out where the problem lies in.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Edited.

Anyway ts are you able to isolate the problem down to whether it's the amp, cable or guitar? It just involves switching one item at a time while keeping the other two as the same equipment to find out where the problem lies in.

Really? Its weird because every time i put mine too high I don't have a sustain problem. I just can't keep it in tune. I back them down a bit and its fine. I have Seymour Duncan Dave Mustaine Active pickups in an Ibanez S Series with the middle pickup missing.
We all started at the bottom. Unless you were Hendrix. It is a fact that he popped out of his mom with a guitar in his hands. I've seen the video!
Quote by Ibanezskater20
Really? Its weird because every time i put mine too high I don't have a sustain problem. I just can't keep it in tune. I back them down a bit and its fine. I have Seymour Duncan Dave Mustaine Active pickups in an Ibanez S Series with the middle pickup missing.

Actives work different from passive pickups though which I assume the ts has in his current guitar.
Maybe you're more of an acoustic player?
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
TS has an Epi LP and a 15watt Frontman...no way he has active pups.

Cable or wiring problem.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
i was taught that if your guitar sonuds like ****, these are things u should check

cables (make sure they're pluged all the way in)
tube (for tube amp)
fuse (might be loose or broken)
pedals and effects (they can break too and **** up ur sound- check how they are all set up)
pickups (they literally pick up the sound)
components (chips, circuitry, wiring,and other ****- i would suggest that u do this if u have great experience in double E, otherwise find someone that does or bring to the music store to be fixed)
speaker (they can mess up and **** ur sound)
guitar (actually look around ur guitar- little things like loose tuning nuts or bad bridges can mess it up)

thats all that i remember- i think there might have been 1 or 2 more... but i pretty much think thats it- go check these things

EDIT: i remember u should check one other thing

strings (if thier dull, dirty, or screwed with some weak areas, you defenitely want to replace them- i would reccomend replacing all ur strings every 1 1/2 moths or so)
Last edited by PUnkMetaL00 at Jul 31, 2009,
Something not making a proper contact?
The switch on my epi eventually did that,sounded really bad.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by PUnkMetaL00
i was taught that if your guitar sonuds like ****, these are things u should check

cables (make sure they're pluged all the way in)
tube (for tube amp)
fuse (might be loose or broken)
pedals and effects (they can break too and **** up ur sound- check how they are all set up)
pickups (they literally pick up the sound)
components (chips, circuitry, wiring,and other ****- i would suggest that u do this if u have great experience in double E, otherwise find someone that does or bring to the music store to be fixed)
speaker (they can mess up and **** ur sound)
guitar (actually look around ur guitar- little things like loose tuning nuts or bad bridges can mess it up)

thats all that i remember- i think there might have been 1 or 2 more... but i pretty much think thats it- go check these things

EDIT: i remember u should check one other thing

strings (if thier dull, dirty, or screwed with some weak areas, you defenitely want to replace them- i would reccomend replacing all ur strings every 1 1/2 moths or so)

Good list, apart from fuses. If a fuse was broken or loose, the amp wouldnt turn on at all. The fuses are there to blow to stop anything internal being damaged.
Do you have active pickups? (EMG's, Blackouts). If so check ur battery.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Maybe you hear a bit different, since those 2 weeks of playing acoustic.
You know, Frontmans aren't good amps, maybe you just noticed that.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
i had a similar problem which i quickly found to be due to the amp by trying different guitars, leads etc. the amp is a fender hrd with fairly new tubes, the only thing to do was let an electronics tech look at it, he found a dodgy resistor which he replaced, problem fixed.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
It's the amp, frontmans IMO are some of the worst amp's available in today's mass market.
Thanks for the awesome replies guys. Ive narrowed the problem, fixed it, and even made miracles happen.

Call me a f**ktard, my damn guitar just got out of tune! hahaha I just didnt think it could sitting there for the 2 weeks but it did. Problem solved. Thanks again guys.

As for my miracle, yes the frontman does suck major balls and I just had not decided which cool new amp I was getting (the grass is always greener on the other side) but, I woke up yesterday and actually thought like a normal person and went to my local used mom & pop guitar shop and found me a peavey which was about 20 bucks cheaper than a used frontman. Played on it, fell in LOVE. Bought it.

WOW the peavey blazer 158 is Fing AMAZING!!! With my guitar tuned I played on the frontman and the peavey and DAMN! WOW! The warm tones. WOW. I paid a total of like 42 dollars for it after trading in the crappy frontman which I got 35 for.

This amp is AMAZING. Im a fuzz playing guy. Words just cant describe how perfect this amp is. Also on clean settings my guitar sounds like a guitar and not a piece of crap.

The sustain is AWESOME with my Les Paul on the amp!!!!