Alrighty. I live in Gainesville(ROCK CITY!) florida, and griffith lumber has some fine kiln dried cypress that is, well, nice! I was considering at the very least using it for bodies, but I was wondering if it would be strong enough for a neck? I know old flamenco guitars had cedar necks, and I'm fairly sure knot-free cypress would be strong enough to work, with a truss rod and separate fingerboard, just would like some opinion on it first.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
It's related to western red cedar. It's about as related to pine as spruce, yew, or redwood, is.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
I actually started playing music in Spain, learning flamenco. There are all-cypress guitars out there. However, I don't know if that means sides and top, or really "all" of it. My flamenco blanca is cypress with a spruce top.
Quote by ethan_hanus
IDK about a neck, cedar is a hard wood, at least the cedar here in central Texas, but I do know that planed and sanded cedar would make a beautiful fretboard.

Unfortunately, it's not hard enough to be used as a fretboard I would think. I think it's around 1600+ on the Janka scale of woods that are suitable for a fretboard. Other woods may not hold frets well.

I do agree, cedar is a good looking wood! With a solid guitar body base, you could easily use it as a top.