I have an opportunity to grab one of these on Sunday and I was wondering if anybody has any experience with these. How is the tone? Reliability? I will have a chance to check it out but I have to drive 1 1/2 hours and I will avoid it if it is not worth it. I play mostly hard rock in the vein of Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Tesla, Guns N Roses, Motley Crue. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Its good for what you've listed. Just try it out.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
It's one of the only 900s I'd buy. Great amplifier.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
well, i've got this thing just few days ago, and, seeing the bands you like, it should be good for you. I can't tell you much, because i only tried it at sellers house (i don't have cab yet), but what i heard conviced me.it has great crunch, and when i say great i mean it's ****in definition of great crunch. for clean you have to roll off volume knob, some say it sucks but i like it because i like having a little overdiven clean tone.but keep in mind, it's no fender clean. it has a lot of gain, more than i will ever need, two gain knobs, but if you dime the two, you get a lot of noise(at least in my case). but that happens when you dial like obsurd amount of gain situation, i play metal (thrash and heavy mostly) and i wont need that much.I also notised high gain can become fuzzy, but i havent played with it a lot and this could probably be dialed out with careful EQing.and for the price i got it i couldnt be happier...i mean, i paid 400 euros as for reability, i cant tell you much. but those old marshalls can have some problems, if they didnt have proper servising or such...but a visit at a tech could fix everything, i think.

so, in my humble opinion its definitely worth trying out. its a beast
How much is it?

most people shy away from them because of the diode clipping issue.
They say they're not true tube amps because this.

Some 900's are a true 800 2203/4 though. The SL-X, they were also badged as something different at some point.

anyway, back on topic, if it's an SL-X it will do exactaly what you want, they sound like a jcm800. a plexi on steroids.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I will be making my way to check it out. It is actually part of a trade I am working out. I am trading a Spider Valve head and a Jay Turser guitar for this head and another Marshall MF280 cab. The diode clipping does not bother me. The Jubilee has diode clipping and I would give my right nut for one of those. I am just looking for a good tone for the music I play, I don't really care how I get there, diodes or not. But again thanks for the responses and if anyone else has an opinion I would love to hear it.
Well I set it up to check out the amp and I hope that it works as advertised and sounds good. Again thanks for all the responses.
Peavey Windsor
Marshall JCM800

You already have these... How many JCM circuits does one man need?
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
You are missing the JCM 2000 DSL 50...never have enough I guess. I need a backup for my backup.
Personally, I'd get something different, like one of those clearance AC50s.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
I probably will go with something different when I am paying for it. This is part of a trade deal. Next I am probably going to go with a JVM410h. Not a Vox fan at all. Of all the JCM's out there, to my knowledge I have never played a 900 series. That is the only reason I was asking. I will have to check out the AC50 and see how the tone is. Thanks for the suggestion.
Yeah, I'm partially suggesting it just out of curiosity. It's supposed to be higher gain and darker sounding then Vox sounding amps, it might make a good compliment to your Marshalls.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
I really like the 900, think it sounds great. If your getting it used though check it all works okay first, I'm having a bit of trouble with mine at the moment
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by STABxYOU
Peavey Windsor
Marshall JCM800

You already have these... How many JCM circuits does one man need?

I might have another single channel 2204 or DSL 50 for cleans soon.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Yeah I always have loved my 800 and currently I own a 2203 but I am considering picking up a 2204 if I can find a good price on one. That is probably my all time favorite amp.
Quote by mindstealer
Yeah I always have loved my 800 and currently I own a 2203 but I am considering picking up a 2204 if I can find a good price on one. That is probably my all time favorite amp.

I tried a 2203 as well. The added headroom and bottom end were nice, but I found the overdrive on the 2204 to be much smoother and pleasing to the ears. It also gets very punchy if you boost it just a tad so I never saw the reason for the extra wattage.

They're both fantastic amps though - very touch-responsive.

The responsiveness is what drew me to the JCM line to begin with. That and the fact that I am a product of the 80s hairband scene. I love my 800, it is the amp I *hopefully* will never part with, the 2000 series are also nice, very responsive, but different. I am just hoping that the 900 line lives up to my expectation. I have definately heard the 2204 seems to be a little easier to get nice the nice power amp saturation, the 2203 is overpowering loud.
The MKIII and SLX are very highly thought of 900s. Both sound great imo.

However, you already have 2 Marshall-type amps... I personally wouldn't get another one, but that's just me Though, the 900 is a different sound than the 800/Windsor, but the 6100 can do them all
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The MKIII and SLX are very highly thought of 900s. Both sound great imo.

However, you already have 2 Marshall-type amps... I personally wouldn't get another one, but that's just me Though, the 900 is a different sound than the 800/Windsor, but the 6100 can sort of do them all

Fixt.

I thought we beat this horse to death already?

Quote by bubb_tubbs
Fixt.

I thought we beat this horse to death already?

I guess...

The 6100 has the hawtest dirty clean tone I've ever heard though
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
But actually I have 3 Marshall type amps, I just can't update my sig as fast as I buy gear and I have run out of room. That is just a portion of my gear, I also have a JCM 2000 DSL50. Also recently I have picked up a Mesa Dual Rectifier, that I will be trading off, and I just got a line on a Bugera 1960, and since I have never had a plexi style circuit, I will probably grab that as well. I have not seen too many 6100's around this way, my local GC had one and it was sold the same day they got it for $1299, way more than I actually want to pay. I look for deals and hop on them.
Last edited by mindstealer at Aug 1, 2009,
Quote by MatrixClaw
I guess...

The 6100 has the hawtest dirty clean tone I've ever heard though

It's a great amp and I want one for a bit more versatility, but I'll still take my 800 for the crunch.

If you ever put it up for sale, you must contact me.

So I did pick up the 900, next question does anyone have experience with what tubes work best for a nice blues rock warm tone? Thanks again to everyone that offered up their opinion. I will post pics later today.
standard for marshalls have pretty much been el34s. GT makes an el34m xf2 that sounds very good. Probably my favorite of current production el34.
Any preamp recommendations? I currently use Electro Harmonix 12ax7EH in my DSL and use Tung Sols in my 800. I honestly just don't know what will sound best in the 900.
I've been using Tung Sol reissues in my amps, I like their brightness, and they're cheap as well.