Hey all,

I have been playing the guitar on and off since 3 years and would rate myself in the late-beginner level. I have decided to take guitar lessons so that I can make progress quickly.

I obviously need to find a guitar tutor. I googled a bit and came across a music school around my area (they have 3 guitar tutors). They charge around $30 for half hour lessons.

I had a few questions:

(1) Are 30 mins per lesson enough ? I have never taken guitar lessons before so I don't know. But I feel 30 mins are really very less.

(2) Since they are charging so much, I can assume the tutor is good right. And experienced. And really really awesome? Someone who knows what is right for me! Someone who I can blindly trust and be confident that if I follow his lessons, I will be a very good guitar player ? (I guess my concern is.. besides the money, I dont want to spend 3 months with him only to find out he is not the best teacher.)

Any kind of advice would be appreciated.

Thanks !!! :--)
1. pretty much all lessons are 30 minutes, no matter where you go
2. so some research on this place. i got lessons in my area from the #1 teacher, and they were half that price. you better be getting some damn good lessons.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
1) It depends. My guitar teacher found that we went through lessons too quickly and didn't end up covering enough stuff so he extended it to an hour

2) Yeah, 30 does sound a bit much. I pay 50 for an hour. But if it is a music school and not some dodgy random teacher then they probably would be good
I get hour long lessons for both guitar and singing. It does cost twice as much, but you progress faster.

You won't know whether the teacher is "right" for you until you have a lesson, so I recommend that your first lesson is a 30 minute "trial" lesson to see whether it works out or not. Some teachers do charge more than others for different reasons. Generally teachers who are highly demanded charge more (eg. Satriani).
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
i get an hour for $45. my teacher is Jon Devoto from the matches, so i guess if it's a little expensive, it's justified. have a trial lesson and see if you click with the teacher, see if he knows he stuff, and see if he is willing to teach what you want to learn. if so, lessons are definitely worth it
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
How long a lesson you want probably depends a lot on how fast you progress and how much you practice. I'd suggest you start with 30 min lessons, and if you find they are really too short then see if you can book double lessons.

Music schools have to charge a bit more than independent teachers, as they have more admin costs. Plus, if they have their own premises, they have lots of overheads to cover, so I don't think $30 is unreasonable. If you don't want to pay that much it might be worth looing for a good independent teacher though.

Before starting with any teacher your best bet it to talk to them, tell them what you want to learn, where you want your playing to go, and ask them how they can help you reach that. Ask them how long they've been teaching, what level they teach to, if they have any qualifications themselves (not that qualifications are essential, but they give you a baseline level you know they have attained). Ask around - see who other guitar players in your area recommend, ask at small local music shops if they recommend anybody.

You can't just assume a teacher will be good. Ask the right questions and convince yourself they know what they are talking about. Then see how the first lesson goes - are they good at communicating? Do you understand what they are telling you and what they are asking of you? Did they do something to assess where you're at now? Do you have comfidence that they can teach you? And do you feel comfortable with them?
Hey thanks a lot everyone for the replies. This gives me some confidence that 30 mins should be enough.

Also, the first lesson is free, so that will give me a good idea about the tutor and whether or not he is what I am looking for.

I am in california, that might explain $30/halfhour rate.

Thanks again for the help !!!
I don't like guitar lessons, they don't (Or atleast the ones i've taken) let you form your own style; which is pretty important in forming your identity as a guitarist
Gear

Fender Mustang

Fender Telecaster

Fender Frontman 212R

Johnson Marquis JM60

Devi Ever Rocket

Boss Super Phaser

Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95

Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (NYC)
30 minute lessons are probably good for someone at your stage. When I first started taking lessons I took 45-55 minute sessions because it took me about 20 minutes just to get warmed up. But if you're not wasting your time with that you can focus on the meaty parts and learn some good stuff.
Quote by HeadHunter241
I don't like guitar lessons, they don't (Or atleast the ones i've taken) let you form your own style; which is pretty important in forming your identity as a guitarist

You wouldn't expect them to, a teacher isn't going to teach you your own style. What a teacher will do, however, is give you what you need to know to begin forming your style; so theory, techniques etc.
30 for a half hour isn't bad, I....well my dad paid 25 a half hour for me back in 97, so that rate isn't too bad considering the way things are in the states right now economically.

But, I was just looking up a new guitar teacher to show me some theory stuff and he only charges 35 for the hour, 1st lesson is free, and you get a free dvd, which is basically a lesson the teacher made that contains little warm up things and the basics that al guitarist should know. And he has graduated from the music school in Atlanta.

So at leat make sure the teachers at least have a backround or something to let you know they are reputable. Or word of mouth. Ask some of the other students that go there and see what they think.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
each tutor is unique and will charge accordingly ,
everyone likes a bargain , but there's no such thing as a free lunch if you see what i mean .
perhaps you should write a list of goals you would like to achieve , how much you can comfortably pay and then see what you can do from there.
have a clear idea of what you want to learn , and ask the teacher to give you an overview of how they can get you there .
I know it is very late but know I am learning since three months from a website. First, I was not ready to learn guitar through website but then I found a site which is very helpful. It really has ********** I have learned a lot of it.

Post edited by emad
Quote by the_tantric
Hey all,

I have been playing the guitar on and off since 3 years and would rate myself in the late-beginner level. I have decided to take guitar lessons so that I can make progress quickly.

I obviously need to find a guitar tutor. I googled a bit and came across a music school around my area (they have 3 guitar tutors). They charge around $30 for half hour lessons.

I had a few questions:

(1) Are 30 mins per lesson enough ? I have never taken guitar lessons before so I don't know. But I feel 30 mins are really very less.

(2) Since they are charging so much, I can assume the tutor is good right. And experienced. And really really awesome? Someone who knows what is right for me! Someone who I can blindly trust and be confident that if I follow his lessons, I will be a very good guitar player ? (I guess my concern is.. besides the money, I dont want to spend 3 months with him only to find out he is not the best teacher.)

Any kind of advice would be appreciated.

Thanks !!! :--)

Academy sessions run 25 to 30 mins, but it's what the student takes home and practices and works with after those sessions, that will determine the success. That's the main thing that I cannot stress enough. No guitar teacher can get you there. No book, no video, not even our method.

A Good teacher takes something complicated and can make it easy for you to work with.

A Good teacher, listens, has a good feel where you are at and inspires you and encourages you forward.

A Good teacher doesnt just collect checks, but feels personally vested towards you becoming a better musician.

A Good teacher will not shun your questions, will realize that we all started at more or less the same place, and be willing and ready to answer you in such a way that helps you understand the answer. Sometimes you don't have the requisite background to be able to understand that answer, in which case he will assure you that although you dont understand that right now, he will partner with you to help you do so as the lessons progress.

A Good teacher understands that students and learning styles change from one to the next, and seeks to make the experience of learning relevant, useful and fun regardless of your learning style.

A Good teacher is always on the alert for places you are struggling and knows how to take an area of struggle and break it down further into a small drill or exercise to help you master that section so that you can progress.

A Good teacher is not timid about being straight and forthright and honest about a student's progress but doing so in a way that doesnt attack the student's character or person, only addressing behavior and progress.

A Good teacher is also teachable. We don't know it all and a good teacher is a lifelong student themselves.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Feb 4, 2010,
Most lessons are 30 minutes unless you can afford more time and the instructor is willing to give that to you!
Not all instructors are good- it's about finding the right one for you. I would try to find references before you go to anyone- see if they have a good reputation or not.