I have been playing a cheap Silvertone guitar since I started play guitar 3 or so years ago. Since that time, I have received a 40 year old Princeton Fender tube amp, which makes this cheap guitar sound really good. (Practice helps too)

Anyway, I need an upgrade soon, because this guitar doesn't cut it anymore. I need something that can cover a wide range of styles, somewhere between Stevie Ray Vaughan and Muse. I was thinking of an Ibanez, but they seem like they would be good for shredding, and while that is nice, I wouldn't be able to play my bluesy stuff to well.

On the other hand, I could get a Stratocaster, which could handle my bluesy stuff and all that, but probably couldn't cover some heavier music, plus, I'm kinda sick of the Strat look, although I'm being a little picky now.

My price range is somewhere around $500. Any other ideas besides the ones I've said?
Im not too sure how much stuff costs over where you are but maybe a HSS strat?
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
What? Why do you think you can't play blues on an Ibanez?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Try out some Strats and Les Pauls and see if you can get the sounds you need out of them.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by JesusCrisp

I dunno. Stereotype mostly. I guess I need to try one first.

The stereotype is because all my bluesy heroes play Strats, and all my Shredding heroes (mostly) play Ibanez.
i would try to find something that has a neck between the chunkier one of a strat and the uber-thin-ness of an ibanez. probably something HH style, but with the option to coil split the pickups so you can get a pseudo single coil sound. Michael Kelly has the valor series which might be good, fairly hot pickups for shreddy stuff but also coil split. i was thinking maybe one of the doublecut PRS SE models, but i dont remember if they have coil splits.
Quote by JesusCrisp

And vice versa, why can't you Shred on a Strat??

Get an HSS strat. VERY versatile.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1
And vice versa, why can't you Shred on a Strat??

Get an HSS strat. VERY versatile.

Once again, stereotype. Sorry. I know Yngwie does it, so I guess I could.

HSS strats seem a little to pricey for me.

I appreciate all the suggestions guys.
You can get a Made In Mexico Strat (AKA MIM Strat) for $500.

VERY SMALL difference between USA made and MIM..

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1

VERY SMALL difference between USA made and MIM..

According to who?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
According to who?

On a $500 budget, I think most would agree that the MIM strat is pretty darn close to the same as a USA made strat.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Get a PRS SE.

You could get the Santana, the Soapbar, or if your more into rock, the Singlecut, one of the Customs (22 or 24) or the Tremonti or Allender.

Perfect for your style of music.
They're also gorgeous and great value for money.
Quote by jonmo1
On a $500 budget, I think most would agree that the MIM strat is pretty darn close to the same as a USA made strat.

I have played an older friend of mine's American and Mexican Strat. They are pretty darn close. I do like strats, but now I think I'm really leaning towards an Ibanez. An RG model I'm thinking. What would be the best to get for my price range? I would like the Floyd Rose. (Or whatever they have that is like it)

edit: ^I would try that PRS out if I could. I've heard good things. I just like to try guitars before I buy. I have friends with Strats, Teles, and Ibanez guitars, so that is the only reason I think about those mostly.
Last edited by ZeppelinRulez77 at Aug 1, 2009,