I've Been playing for around 3-4 months and I want to get more serious. right now I know quite a few chords and I can handle any song with Barre Chords and Powerchords with relative ease. I've been starting to dip into more soloing and more complicated stuff like Hendrix and other classic rock.

Ive tried to look at the theory lessons here on UG but they usually just make my head hurt and I give up. I can find notes on the E and A strings, so like if someone told me to find a C powerchord on the E string I could find it for example. but other than that I know very little.

And because I'm getting more into solos and more intricate stuff other than punk songs. I began to look at scales and they totally throw me off, I know the minor pentatonic because I found a video lesson on youtube where a guy explained it well but when i try to learn the other scales from reading lessons it just seems like I'm reading a different language.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has trouble learning this complicated theory by reading articles and if anyone has videos that explain it I could probably grasp it sooner.

I know I could probably avoid this and just learn tabs and songs and not know the reasoning behind things. but I want to be a guitar player for life and I think I would really restrict my playing if I avoid the theory that confuses me so much. but when would be a good time to be able to dive into theory without making me wanna quit guitar in confusion?
i spent like a month or so just reading absolutely everything i could on theory
that gave me a good enough understanding that i always know what other people are talking about.
i went to musictheory.net, wikipdia's music theory category, and this site. if you don't get something don't worry. you kinda need to read everything before any of it makes perfect sense.
it's never too soon to learn theory!
i took guitar lessons for theory although i think it is pretty useless now. Tabs tell you everything, and even play the music for you so there is little need to know how to actually read music unless you are going to be a studio musician. As long as you can tell what sounds good, just play yer guitar.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
i took guitar lessons for theory although i think it is pretty useless now. Tabs tell you everything, and even play the music for you so there is little need to know how to actually read music unless you are going to be a studio musician. As long as you can tell what sounds good, just play yer guitar.

Fail.

As soon as you play with ANY musician who knows theory you'll get stuck and left behind. When your band mates say 'play the 5th of G going straight into a 3rd position G scale' and you go 'uh?' they will get very impatient.

Theory is another tool we can utilise as MUSICIANS, so don't ever tell someone not to bother with it, because that's really poor advice.