I wanted to switch between acoustic and electric fast, so I drew up plans to mount an electric pickup in the sound hole of my acoustic. I plan to use slide pots mounted to the sides of the pickup for tone and volume.
Here's a couple quick sketches I did in paint:

Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987
You really like input jacks, don't you?

My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Last edited by Shaggy Shadric at Jul 31, 2009,
you will need to use some dr zebras or something for your guitar to get picked up properly
Zebras?
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
how exactly do you expect to adjust the volume and tone sliders if they are under the strings lol
Quote by noisefarmer
how exactly do you expect to adjust the volume and tone sliders if they are under the strings lol

Well pointed out, it is amazing how a tired mind can over look obvious things like that XD

It wouldn't be difficult to rotate both pots 90 degrees and mount them at the ends of the pickup. Which solves another problem: Accidentally changing ur settings by strumming too hard. Like this:

Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
You only have so much room in the soundhole, tim, so you might run out of room for the pots to be mounted that way. Alternatively you could have trimpots. They're like normal pots, but smaller and without a shaft. Instead you adjust them with a screwdriver. They might work for you if you don't need to make adjustments during the gig.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
dr zebras have magnetic materials in there that allow coil based pickups to work.

And to be honest, the screws won't attach too well to the top of the guitar as it is probably not thick enough for the screws thread to work. If you insist on doing this, then I'd make a pedal with a volume and a tone in it. The whole, slide mounting idea isn't such a good one.

And lastly, if you want to switch between acoustic and electric tones fast, then I'd go for piezo saddles on you epiphones tune o matic bridge. While the acoustic tones might not be quite as convincing as your actual acoustic, the electric tones are a world better.
Quote by supergerbil
I'd go for piezo saddles on you epiphones tune o matic bridge. While the acoustic tones might not be quite as convincing as your actual acoustic, the electric tones are a world better.

+1

Piezo really is the way to go for a project like this.
Quote by supergerbil
dr zebras have magnetic materials in there that allow coil based pickups to work.

And to be honest, the screws won't attach too well to the top of the guitar as it is probably not thick enough for the screws thread to work. If you insist on doing this, then I'd make a pedal with a volume and a tone in it. The whole, slide mounting idea isn't such a good one.

And lastly, if you want to switch between acoustic and electric tones fast, then I'd go for piezo saddles on you epiphones tune o matic bridge. While the acoustic tones might not be quite as convincing as your actual acoustic, the electric tones are a world better.

Why should I get Zebras? I've already checked and my acoustic string are picked up no problem.

Clearly you misunderstood the whole idea of this >:[
What do you think the rubber padding is there for? looks??
You don't screw it to the top of the guitar, you clamp it in as drawn. The acoustic's face plate is clamped between the pads at both ends.

And I've looked at piezos, they're 5 times the price and the sound sub par at best.
The idea was to make a cheap, effective and portable electric kit for my ACOUSTIC. Hows that gonna look if I'm supposed to walk around on stage with a pedal dragging between my legs??
Not in a good mood anymore >.<
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Last edited by Shaggy Shadric at Jul 31, 2009,
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Well pointed out, it is amazing how a tired mind can over look obvious things like that XD

It wouldn't be difficult to rotate both pots 90 degrees and mount them at the ends of the pickup. Which solves another problem: Accidentally changing ur settings by strumming too hard.

vol and tone control sliders mounted on some sort of pickup clamp are a bad idea. it's certainly efficient and space saving but the location is just all wrong, not only that but for adjusting volume on the fly sliders are not as easily controllable as a pot. sliders arent exactly precise compared to a pot either.
Quote by cedricsmods
Markley makes soundhole pickups that are pretty good. Just throwing that out there.

Out of the question. Any production acoustic pup is gonna be designed to amplify the acoustic guitar, but it wont be made to sound like an electric.
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Quote by cedricsmods
Oh, okay. I did not realize that you were going for electric sound.

That's quite alright, I wish it were as easy as buying one:\ of course there's some fun to be had by building it as well... ;]
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Laying the sketch out on some metal. I decided to use regular pots for space reasons...
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Busted out the tin snips on this one, cutting the general shape of the bracket.
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Since I know sooo many ppl care **rolls eyes** here's some more pics for the two ppl out there that still care...

figuring out where to put the pup

Ok, so I used a vise and a hammer to bend the bracket into shape, cut the hole for the pup with a dremel tool....

Test fitting the pup
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Since I know sooo many ppl care **rolls eyes** here's some more pics for the two ppl out there that still care...

Loving the sarcasm man, really

not

Anyway, sounds like a cool idea, how are you going to make the switch between electric pickup and the normal acoustic guitar? and will the pickup on the sound hole affect the sound of the acoustic?
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Quote by TomG10-7

Anyway, sounds like a cool idea, how are you going to make the switch between electric pickup and the normal acoustic guitar? and will the pickup on the sound hole affect the sound of the acoustic?

The pup itself will have it's own jack, so i'll feed both cables coming from the guitar into a 2-1 switchbox in my pedal board. I could make it a 2-1 volume pedal instead and then fade from one to the other, but I'd have to buy an old wah or volume pedal and mod it, and that costs money that I don't have right now. I need a job >.<
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Hmmmmm, good idea. Keep posted because I have always wondered if this was possible, several times ive actually considered putting a humbucker onto my Fender acoustic but realised that was a stupid idea :/
I overlooked the fact I needed pots and a jack, and to mount the pickup, and that it might not work, but oh welll. Your idea looks solid
- Joe Bonamassa

Last edited by TomG10-7 at Jan 31, 2010,
Here's what the pup looks like, and the assembly so far sitting over the soundhole. It looks big, but most of it will tuck in under the face inside. The pup is a "Memphis Alnico 2 Vintage Jangle Pickup" I got off of guitarfetish.com. I was looking for a Rickenbackery kinda jangley sound, so we'll see how it sounds pretty soon :p
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Cool, do you know how soon you will have finished this? And what acoustic will you be mounting it onto?

And sound clips when your finished
- Joe Bonamassa

looks cool
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
I'm putting it in my Greg Bennett acoustic. It's been a good guitar. It's shallow body and acoustic electric with a single cut away search "greg bennett tmj 5 ce/bk" in google and you'll see basically what mine looks like
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
are you going to try to mod any soundhole feedback reducer to fit around it? i'm not sure exactly the sound you are going for--but good luck getting a usable electric tone out of it. bronze strings and solid spruce tops do not generally provide the best platform for electric guitar sounds. let us know how it sounds when you finally do get it finished.
Alright kiddies, I got the clamps on...

and the pots in, had to adjust their location for ease of use tho :P

Some wiring pics coming maybe tonight, or 2maro. Gotta go to band practice tho :P
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275