ive never had one...so just wondering
is a volume pedal like a guitar's volume knob where when u roll it off the gain reduces...or is it like a amp's master volume where the amount of gain stays the same only the volume is decreased.
27mMoV31II7.a2
More like the Amps Master volume. The gain doesn't decrease.

Imagine you recorded a track digitally, and set it to fade in and fade out at certain points with a program. Essentially, that is exactly what a volume pedal controls
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
oh ok..then its more useful than i thought :P
thanks a lot !
27mMoV31II7.a2
It's exactly what it sounds like. It simply changes the volume of your playing.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by nedthehead
More like the Amps Master volume. The gain doesn't decrease.

Imagine you recorded a track digitally, and set it to fade in and fade out at certain points with a program. Essentially, that is exactly what a volume pedal controls

I think you misunderstood. It's definitely exactly like the guitar's volume knob, just on the floor. Of course it affects the amp's gain in the exact same way the volume knob would. It's not like an attenuator which drops the perceived volume while retaining tube breakup. That would be fairly useless as an expression pedal, who would want that?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I was under the impression it worked like a volume knob, decreasing the strength of the input signal. So it it literally doesn't affect any gain?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Its exactly like the pot on your guitar and is used in many way, like fade-out or soft sounds that you can bring in after playing the note/chord. Just handy to have it in a pedal if you are using two pups together, with separate vol pots. Some players use them as a cut/boost for solos.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Last edited by Lurcher at Jul 31, 2009,
Quote by Sid McCall
I think you misunderstood. It's definitely exactly like the guitar's volume knob, just on the floor. Of course it affects the amp's gain in the exact same way the volume knob would. It's not like an attenuator which drops the perceived volume while retaining tube breakup. That would be fairly useless as an expression pedal, who would want that?

i would want that...if i wanted to ease the gain id use my guitar knobs...

during a song u cant really run over to ur amp and crank the volume now could u
27mMoV31II7.a2
Ok so I was right..good. Im about to buy a Ernie Ball VP jr, cause Id like to roll back the volume for some crunchier parts, but les paul volumes get messy.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Okay, something is wrong here. I have played Volume pedals which kept my full gain even at 50% volume!
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
If you run the volume pedal in front of your amp, it acts just like your guitar's volume. If you use it in the loop, it can decrease volume (poweramp gain) without losing the amount of distortion.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Last edited by Dr.Pain-MD at Jul 31, 2009,
It can be both!

If you plug your guitar into it, then the amp, it acts as a volume for your guitar, which decreases the signal sent to your amp resulting in less gain.

If you put it in your effects loop (last/ after distortion) it acts as a master volume.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
It can be both!

If you plug your guitar into it, then the amp, it acts as a volume for your guitar, which decreases the signal sent to your amp resulting in less gain.

If you put it in your effects loop (last/ after distortion) it acts as a master volume.

What he said. Of course even in the loop it can decrease your gain (poweramp gain), because the poweramp gets less signal -> it's also driven less. But if you get your distortion from the preamp, then it won't decrease the level of the distortion.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
oh sweet double function lawl..!
thanks everyone
and by everyone i mean dr.pain and jthm
27mMoV31II7.a2
If the pedal is ran in front of the amp, you can use it as a boost to drive your amp's tubes. If you put it in the effects loop, if raises and lowers the volume.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
If the pedal is ran in front of the amp, you can use it as a boost to drive your amp's tubes. If you put it in the effects loop, if raises and lowers the volume.

Technically (since I believe most volume pedals are passive?) you can't boost your amp with a volume pedal. However, you can set the amp to higher gain and then lower the signal with the pedal, so when you push it down you get more gain.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
Technically (since I believe most volume pedals are passive?) you can't boost your amp with a volume pedal. However, you can set the amp to higher gain and then lower the signal with the pedal, so when you push it down you get more gain.

Oh, didn't know that, I assumed they were active. Well, If he wants a boost, he can just buy a boost lol.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
A volume pedal tapers your signal, so yesjust like your volume pot on your guitar. The pedal is a handy thing for using amps with no channel switching, like an older JCM or something. I know Alice Coopers current guitar player does this, makes it easier to get a clean sound when playing instead of fiddling around with the knobs.

+1