Hi guys!

Sorry if this doesn't belong here & feel free to move it but I did a quick search and it was the best place I could think of to ask.

I've been looking to jam with other people for a while, and recently found out one of my friends has been playing bass for about six months so we've organised to meet up in a few days and jam a bit. My question is, because my friend is relatively new at playing (ie. just improvising etc probably won't work because she's not into theory yet) what's recommended jam material?

Should I find out what she can play already and learn the guitar part quickly in the next few days? Should I propose one or two relatively easy songs we can both learn to bring? Something else?
Quote by firesprite
Hi guys!

Sorry if this doesn't belong here & feel free to move it but I did a quick search and it was the best place I could think of to ask.

I've been looking to jam with other people for a while, and recently found out one of my friends has been playing bass for about six months so we've organised to meet up in a few days and jam a bit. My question is, because my friend is relatively new at playing (ie. just improvising etc probably won't work because she's not into theory yet) what's recommended jam material?

Should I find out what she can play already and learn the guitar part quickly in the next few days? Should I propose one or two relatively easy songs we can both learn to bring? Something else?

Blink 182?

Write originals with easy bass parts?
Bass parts in any song can be adapted easily to use only root notes. really easy for a new player to follow, and it will help improve them because they'll have to think about the chord changes. For easy jam songs, it depends on what you're into playing. Punk? Classic rock? Metal?
Soothsayer from Buckethead. Take the chord change and just go with it. You can solo and she can play roots, its EXACTLY what we did for our first few jams (I'm a chick that plays bass too... =] ) Otherwise, just work on making up stuff. Weezer is good for beginning jams too.

HAVE FUN!
Any Way You Want it by Journey is incredibly easy for anyone but the lead guitar (and it isn't that hard on that part either, I just wouldn't group it in with easy) and if you're a Journey fan like me, incredibly fun to play, even if it is 3 chords and a riff that uses 2 notes.
All Along The Watchtower - Hendrix (Good Improv song and EASY bassline)
IRON MAN (It's Damn near impossible to NOT know Iron Man)
TNT by AC/DC (Its only a few notes and pretty good Jam)
Tush - ZZ Top (Easy Basssline; Repetitive)

Idk your Genre ut mine is classic Rock and Classic Metal and these are a few of the easiest bass songs i can think of. If i think of more, I'll be back.

-Gold
Hey!Everyone!
Come and See how good I look!

You Stay Classy, Ultimate Guitar