I'm not sure if this is in the right place... but yeah.

I'm going on holiday in a couple of days, and I'll be gone for a few weeks. I can't take my guitar with me, and I'm worried that my fingers will go out of practise. I need something to do so my fingers stay in shape... so to speak.

In my local guitar shop I've seen these little finger strengthener things... which are basically a bit of plastic, and four other bits of plastic sticking out all in a line, and there are springs pushing them up. The idea is you push it down, then release slowly, and over time it's supposed to increase your finger strength. I've always been sceptical, but would it actually be worth it to get one while I'm away?

Anyone have an alternative?

Thanks!
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
No. How's that going to help you play the guitar? The only thing that will keep you in shape to play guitar is playing guitar.
Yeah, but finger movement is also important to that. If you want to practice your finger movements, just use your fingers and think of it as you are playing an invisible piano(WTF!?), and you should keep those fingers in shape

(wait i must be retarded... please don't yell at me!)
^^
It won't help you getting better at guitar playing.

It will however keep your fingers in shape endurance wise.

I'd say go for it.

Don't hate on the thing, I was skeptical, but actually tried it myself, and in all honesty I can say it does keep my fingers endured.

It's even better then a "Regular" warming up on a guitar.

EDIT:
I did have to experiment though, cause not every way I foudn to be helping.

You need to put the tips of ur fingers on the thing, and press down, while keeping your other fingers in place (don't' lift or push them with them), and press per finger.

This way it gives the (best) results.

I did this with the so called "grip master".

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 31, 2009,
erm.. i'm being told different things... anyone else have experience with them?
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Quote by Mr.Feather

ehm, read my post ^^?

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I actually have one of the things you're talking about sitting on my desk. It's called a 'Grip Master'.

The pressure you apply to the strings while playing guitar is all from your thumb and your fingers; but the 'Grip Master' is designed to sit in the palm of your hand when using it. When the hell do you ever play guitar like that?

So, the grip master will strengthen the muscles in your fingers, but not the ones you use to play guitar.
Quote by ibz120
I actually have one of the things you're talking about sitting on my desk. It's called a 'Grip Master'.

The pressure you apply to the strings while playing guitar is all from your thumb and your fingers; but the 'Grip Master' is designed to sit in the palm of your hand when using it. When the hell do you ever play guitar like that?

So, the grip master will strengthen the muscles in your fingers, but not the ones you use to play guitar.

They do if you put ur fingers as if ur fretting.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
They do if you put ur fingers as if ur fretting.

It's pretty impossible to put your thumb on the black part, and push them them as if you were fretting a note. You'd have to get the lightest tension one they sell, and even then, I don't know if you'd be able to.
2 weeks will do nothing to put you out, give it a couple of days when you get back and you should be up to scratch again. Waste of money.
Although I'll probably be ignored, the best exercise I've found to help playing guitar is chin-ups. It makes your hands, fingers and wrists stronger because they are holding your entire body. It fixes your posture and increases endurance.

Oh yeah, and it's healthy.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Thanks to everyone's answers, i've decided to listn to StiltonCheese and AlanHB. I'll do some chin-ups while i'm away, and then see what it's like when i get back. Thanks everyone!
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
dude. it doesnt really matter how long you go away. you could go away for a month. sit down play guitar for a couple of hours maybe and be back to where you were if not better (ive found taking breaks can sometimes help me improve).
Oh about the chin-ups;

- They're hard at first! But you'll find that out pretty soon.
- They're no replacement for playing real guitar, but do develop the supporting muscles in your hand.
- To get maximum benefit it should be done for the rest of your life, not just while you're on holiday
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Chin ups are good too for making you generally hench.

On the holiday thing - taking a break sometimes helps. When you get back you might be better after the hiatus.
stress balls (the really viscous sand-filled ones) help a lot. i've played violin for 10 years more than guitar and stress balls would actually help my left hand movement. squeezing them with my right hand would improve my bow hold tremendously as well. i find it helpful to use them even when i'm not on vacation
buy a uke or travel guitar ... i got a uke and modded it for string to got thickest to thinnest ... i wrote a few riffs for a metalcore song ive been writing on that at a beach in Cyprus
Last edited by kakos at Jul 31, 2009,
Quote by Mr.Feather

yea i have one, I had it in my pocket and used it during school, yea i know, weird, but anyway. Whenever I was "out" i would have it and just use it. I NOTICED my fingers were stronger after just a couple days. So definitely go for it.
Quote by Luigiman124
yea i have one, I had it in my pocket and used it during school, yea i know, weird, but anyway. Whenever I was "out" i would have it and just use it. I NOTICED my fingers were stronger after just a couple days. So definitely go for it.

stronger as in, normal strength? or stronger as in, playing guitar? (or both?)

I only want to get it if it will definitely help.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Though I don't have any experience with one, this is what I personally think.

I don't think it will help much. All it will help you do is to push your fingers down harder, which will ruin your technique. Playing guitar isn't at all about finger strength. It's about finger control. You have to learn how to touch the fretboard as lightly as you can, in order to get the best pitch and tone. This will also help you to do vibrato and bends.

Now yes, the finger strengtheners could help you to do bends and vibratos, but I really don't think so. However, as I said earlier, I don't have experience. What seems to be the most sensible, safest, and useful thing to me, would be playing guitar. I mean really, did David Gilmour (Known for his bends and finger strength) ever use a finger strengthener? No, I thought not.