All right, for you who don't know how to tune down to drop C, I here give you a quick guide! *audiance claps*.

The easy way is just to tune down to drop D and then every string one step down, right? But all guitar players out there don't know how much 'a string down' is! Therefore, i will now put up a little guide here.

This is the standard tuning:

E
B
G
D
A
E

What you're going to do now, is to put your finger on the 3rd fret on A string. Why? Because it's the note C. Oh, and the 4th fret is C# for you who doesn't know.
Now, what you're going to do is to tune down the E string so it matches the 3rd fret on A string(the C note). After that, tune down the D string to the C note too. Now, you're halfway there. The A string now is going to match the C string(that was the D string) on the 5th fret of A string(fifth fret on A string should be the note C when you tune down). All you have to do now, is to make sure the C string(that was the D note), to match the G string on the 5th fret of the C string. When you're done with that, the 4th fret on the G string(that should be the note F now), should match the B string(tune down the B string). Now you only have one string left And the E string should be the note D now, if you pick the B string(The note A), on the 5th fret it should be the note D. Just tune down the E string and you're done!

Happy guitar playing with all those drop C songs you couldn't play before
cant u just better buy some chromatic tuner if u want to tune and cant do it by ear?

20 bucks and saves u the reading :p
I always just tune guitar to drop D then tune strings A-high E to be in"standard" tunning with the Low E string which is now a D note. Then once guitar is tuned 1 step down, you can drop the the D note to a C. Very simple stuff.
Quote by srob7001
I always just tune guitar to drop D then tune strings A-high E to be in"standard" tunning with the Low E string which is now a D note. Then once guitar is tuned 1 step down, you can drop the the D note to a C. Very simple stuff.

+1
Quote by Dark_Knight94
And you save 20 bucks buy doing this.

lol

And I only have to spend 20 USD to not read your OP?
Worth it

In all seriosness I hold the 3rd fret on my A string and tune the E to an octave below said note. Then the A string is tuned into a 5th harmony with the Low E (or C rather).
From that point just tune by ear using 4ths harmonys and holding the 4th fret of your G (or F rather) string to tune the B to A.
I've heard of people tuning to drop d and then tuning it down a half step... is that the same as drop c?
Quote by brianhogs
I've heard of people tuning to drop d and then tuning it down a half step... is that the same as drop c?

no. that would be drop C#

And as for saving $20 on a tuner...Spend the double-sawbuck and know your tuning is right. Better yet, get a good one you can use on a pedal board and practice tuning quickly. you never know when you will need it during a gig. nothing worse than an audience listening to you tune your axe between songs.
Quote by DirtyMakik
...Clerks ref goes *here*... will edit when I find the proper one...

Quote by BassGoddess
*clicks lighter and offers flame*