This isn't so much concerned with the amps as the actual company, does anyone know if Engl is in trouble financially or anything like that, maybe stopping production of certain amps or something? I've been looking for a Screamer head for ages now, and the main massive guitar shop near to me, GAK doesn't seem to want to order them in despite having Powerballs, Invaders etc. I've finally found a place that does one, but it's their last one in a clear out sale of Engl stuff...is there any reason they might want to be getting rid of it other than it's not selling as well as Marshalls, Orange amps etc.?

Thanks.
I haven't heard anything about difficulties at Engl. There are a few reasons that the screamer may be getting closed out. Because different areas tend to have different music interests it's possible that they are not selling well where you are and therefore being closed out of the shops but still doing quite well in other parts of the world. Other possibilities are that Engl could be discontinuing the amp because it's not selling well or because they are coming out with a replacement for it. Lines of amps are discontinued all the time and it's often down to marketing and has nothing to do with the success of a specific amp or the success of the company.
Not taking any online orders.
Are you saying that you went into the store and tried to buy the head and they wouldn't order it? Or were you trying to get them to order the head just so you could try it out and maybe buy it? Regardless of the state of any company or particular product line, I've never heard of any retail store just flat out refusing to take your money.
^It happens in the UK all the time. They run their music shops the way the record store on high fidelity is run. You know the scene where they guy goes into the shop day after day and offers an insane amount of money for a record and then jack black tells him "no, I'm not going to sell it today." Then the next guy in the shop comes wanting the same record at a fraction of the price and they sell it to him. That kind of thing actually happens in guitar shops and music stores here! I've actually had shops kick me out the instant I walked in the door simply because "I didn't look like the type that would spend money" and other shops have refused to sell me gear after I got to the register because they didn't like my accent.
Quote by CorduroyEW
^It happens in the UK all the time. They run their music shops the way the record store on high fidelity is run. You know the scene where they guy goes into the shop day after day and offers an insane amount of money for a record and then jack black tells him "no, I'm not going to sell it today." Then the next guy in the shop comes wanting the same record at a fraction of the price and they sell it to him. That kind of thing actually happens in guitar shops and music stores here! I've actually had shops kick me out the instant I walked in the door simply because "I didn't look like the type that would spend money" and other shops have refused to sell me gear after I got to the register because they didn't like my accent.

Are you sure you don't come from some evil, devil country?
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
^We just have some devil towns around here. Chester, Manchester, and Shrewsbury have some very snobby music shops. The worst thing is that through all their music snobbery they still know less about the products they are selling then the average 16 year old salesman at Guitar Center.
that stuff has seriously happened to you, cordy? I know some of the shops aren't great, but nothing like that has ever happened to me. Though I've definitely been lied to etc. before.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CorduroyEW

there is definately room for a big national company again with good service. Sound Control in the early 90s were very good. I was trying to buy an ESP which was advertised on a certain companies website. I phoned them and asked if they had it in stock. They said no but try their Scottish branches. I asked if they could do the searching for me, considering the fact i was about to pay £1200 on a guitar. The guy says he can make outbound calls....

So i phoned the head manager guy, and he said i wound need to put a deposit down on the guitar because they dont stock it. I argued saying it was advertised on their website but no. I was told if i paid for the guitar without trying it and didnt like it i would have to pay a 5% restocking fee! I hung up.
^yeah... sounds about right. Some of the best shops I've visited were in Britan but we also have some of the worst.

Quote by Dave_Mc
that stuff has seriously happened to you, cordy? I know some of the shops aren't great, but nothing like that has ever happened to me. Though I've definitely been lied to etc. before.

Happens to me all the time. Here are the shops that have kicked me out in the last year

http://www.salopmusic.co.uk in Shrewsbury

http://www.backalleymusic.co.uk/ in Chester

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/ in both Chester and Manchester

I hate to say it but I suspect that some of the places that have kicked me out did it because they don't like Americans but some of the places that have kicked me out have kicked out many other people simply because they didn't seem rich enough. There are lots of great music shops arount here too but for every 5 or 6 that are great we end up with 1 that has a stick up their ass.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 31, 2009,
^ yeah, there's always a bad one or two. Too many bad ones. As i said, i've never actually been kicked out, but a couple of pretty annoying things have happened which made me feel as mad, if not worse.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Engl aren't in any trouble in the U.K. In fact they're doing very well. The screamer head isn't one of the popular models so that's probably why most U.K shops arn't stocking it, they'l only stock what they can shift, as said before in this thread.

Edit: I know Wembley guitar centre is getting rid of Engl stock, for what ever reasons.