we have entered a battle of the bands that takes place tonight and its the bands 1st gig and im a bit nervous whats the best way to calm my nerves down (with out drinking to much as i cant play in time when im drunk and tend to get side tracked)

thanks
Gear :
strat copy (SD Hotrails in bridge, Lil' 59 in Neck)
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Pitchblack/SHO Clone/Morley PWA wah
just make sure they are positive nerves.

As soon as u start playing ur songs the familiarity will make u feel right at home.
TBH mate you're just going to have to weather the storm...however, just so you know, once you're up there time will fly by and you'll come off stage buzzing, with a huge smile on your face.

Sorry, no advice on how to make the worry go away but it gets easier the more you do it...esp if you have confidence in the rest of the band.

Good luck and happy playing.

[
thanks we had our basist drop out 2wks ago so our singer has had to learn bass and we have had one practise with the new set up although it felt really good
Gear :
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Whatever you do, don't get drunk and play! You'll only come off thinking 'crap, we played crap cos i was drunk...'

A good thing i used to use for exams was sunflower seeds.

Not a word of a lie, eat some sunflower seeds about an hour and a half before you go on stage and you won't feel anywhere near as stressed, so you'll play better. But yeah, you're gonna have to weather the storm (very good terminology there, i must say), but just focus on what you're doing, rather than whatever everybody else is thinking.

Good luck!
Quote by Rocker007
Blackrat has won this thread. That is an awsome post.

This was posted right after I posted said post in a completely different thread... Whups.

"There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't."
I get this with a lot of things, especially playing in front of people I don't know, so i took up busking. you get the same sort of thing doing that and the way I get around it is usually just by thinking "F**k it, i'm here now so i may as well just do it."
Works every time.
You will be very nervous, especially hearing others play, but when you're all set up and ready to go, standing on stage frozen in your shoes, just think "F**k it" and play your heart out, it usually wears off pretty quick anyways.

Good luck mate, hope you blow everyone else out of the water
I'd say focus on what you're doing, if you do that, once you get into it, it'll be just like reheasrsing, but alot more fun

If you have belief in yourself, you'll be totally fine
Playing in front of other can be very nerve racking. You just gotta have some coinfidence in your self and in your band. If you know you know the music then don't worry too much. people are there to hear your band play or at least to hear music....so you get out there and play your heart out for the audience.

When all is said and done you will feel great. One of the best highs you will ever experience. And remember even if you mess up a little....you are still prob better than a good 95% of the people in the crowd watching you.

All right team...BREAK!!!
Just don't worry man. You'll be fine, as long as you don't let your nerves get to you. Get into the groove and feel it. I assume you mean you are talking about on-stage nerves, instead of nerves before-hand. For the latter, I have no advice other than just don't worry about it.

Quote by fenderholic65
make sure u move arnd no1 wants 2 c a guitarist standin still
True, but you don't want to force it because that will look just as dumb. If you get into the groove properly, you will move without even thinking about it. If you have time to practice before-hand, just practice feeling the music and zoning out so that the music is all you're feeling.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jul 31, 2009,
Quote by food1010
just practice feeling the music and zoning out so that the music is all you're feeling.

This!!!

Zone out and only think of what you are playing....you won't even realize there is a crowd.
Quote by srob7001
This!!!

Zone out and only think of what you are playing....you won't even realize there is a crowd.
Don't think too hard though. Thinking leads to worrying. Let your conscious zone out and let your sub-conscious take over your body.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Do warm up excercises and start with an easy song. Then when you lost the nerves after a while rock the roof off.

Quote by Black Rat 1214
Whatever you do, don't get drunk and play! You'll only come off thinking 'crap, we played crap cos i was drunk...'

Exactly, i screwed up blackbird so hard once that even a roadkill sounds better.
Last edited by deHufter at Jul 31, 2009,
Relax yourself physically right before you go up. Make sure your arms and fingers are loose. Play an easy song in the beginning to loosen up. Maybe do a random jam or an extended sound check. Get comfortable on stage or at least get physically relaxed and into the music.
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

Here's a tip; Be charismatic.

Most people would see a crappy simple band jumping all over the place, instead of a complicated band of people not moving at all.

Hey, that's how punk started
Gear

Fender Mustang

Fender Telecaster

Fender Frontman 212R

Johnson Marquis JM60

Devi Ever Rocket

Boss Super Phaser

Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95

Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (NYC)
Yeah, I've played open mic nights and had my fair share of jitters. Zoning out really helps, except in my case, when I forgot the words to a Green Day song.

Quote by HeadHunter241
Here's a tip; Be charismatic.

Most people would see a crappy simple band jumping all over the place, instead of a complicated band of people not moving at all.

Hey, that's how punk started

I lol'd so hard at that btw.
Quote by Withakay
So, blenk, how was the gig?

it was great thanks , really enjoyed it trying to expand the set list and get rid of a few songs that we didnt like and didnt feel when well but yer cant w8 for another 1,

thanks

Edit :i did screw up the last solo in 4 kicks but the bass was over powering me in that song for some reason and i couldnt hear it in the monitor so im asuming nobody else could hear it
Gear :
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Last edited by blenk at Aug 2, 2009,
Lets use this to your advantage.

I'd be very nervous. But id be pumped with adrenaline because of this too.
-PV14 Mixer
-Crown XTI 1000 Amp
-Two PR15 mains
-Shure SM58
-Dbx compressor/gate
Quote by blenk
it was great thanks , really enjoyed it trying to expand the set list and get rid of a few songs that we didnt like and didnt feel when well but yer cant w8 for another 1
Job's a good'n! :-) I soo envy you...
Edit :i did screw up the last solo in 4 kicks but the bass was over powering me in that song for some reason and i couldnt hear it in the monitor so im asuming nobody else could hear it
I wouldn't know from experience, and I'm sure the crowd went along with it, but here's a good article explaining that what your monitor plays is not necessarily what the public makes out of it.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear you guys were a success. All the best.
thanks everyone
Gear :
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112