Page 1 of 2
Hi!
After looking up the amp guide, I am curious to ask, why can you buy amps over a certain limit if it does not matter? If a 50W is sufficient and they mick the amp to the house preamp at gigs it would be useless for 120W or even 150W right?
sweden on tour
Kinda dumb question, but I'm not gonna start a flame war here.

The same reason you can buy cars that go 300 km/h, there's just about no places on the entire planet you can actually go that fast. So why bother?
in the past it was more of a problem because in-house PA's were less good then they are now. That and bassists, you need more wattage from a bass amp because you have to push more air at the lower end of the spectrum.

Also a 150W isn't actually going to be 3 times louder than a 50w, they might not actually be that different in volume - just one has a bigger number on the front - which if you've watch spinal tap you'd know that makes all the difference to guitarists "but it goes up to eleven!"
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
How do I know which one to choose then? I played a 75W at fairly high volume and it sounded really good, then I because of curiosity plugged into a 15W, and well it did sound very good aswell! It was not as clean distorsion/gain as the 75, but still sufficient!

anubiz03 : For you it may be a stupid question, but I dont have so much experience of different amps so pardon me for even asking
sweden on tour
Quote by anubiz03

The same reason you can buy cars that go 300 km/h, there's just about no places on the entire planet you can actually go that fast. So why bother?

Isle of Man, German motorways, private tracks, dirt roads, race tracks.

But most 150w amps are solid state so they sound bad anyway, not all though, the old ENGL Invader was 150w.

Quote by guskarlw
How do I know which one to choose then? I played a 75W at fairly high volume and it sounded really good, then I because of curiosity plugged into a 15W, and well it did sound very good aswell! It was not as clean distorsion/gain as the 75, but still sufficient!

Nothing to do with the wattage, they were just different amps.
Last edited by CrimsonBizzare at Jul 31, 2009,
Yeah in other forums they said the same, 150W or over is usually solid state, but this one I am looking up is a Line-6 150W digital, that is why I am wondering :/
sweden on tour
There also are SS amps which go up to 550W and more ...
There's really no need for that, I think it's more a marketing thing to sell SS halfstacks.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by guskarlw
Yeah in other forums they said the same, 150W or over is usually solid state, but this one I am looking up is a Line-6 150W digital, that is why I am wondering :/

digital and solid state are the same thing (roughly speaking)

for the record a line6 digital amp WILL be absolute trash unless it's a vetta, flextone or a HD147. please dont buy a spider
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Headroom.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by anubiz03
Kinda dumb question, but I'm not gonna start a flame war here.

really? no place to go with 300 km/h
Doesnt a tube amp sound better only at really high volumes? Will a tube amp with a Line 6 pod have the advantages of a tube amp and the cool distorsion effects without the backside a SS usually have?
sweden on tour
Quote by guskarlw
Doesnt a tube amp sound better only at really high volumes? Will a tube amp with a Line 6 pod have the advantages of a tube amp and the cool distorsion effects without the backside a SS usually have?

No. A pod will suck out the tubes tone. You can get the best distortion out of a tube amp without a multi-effects.

Not-an-overly-expensive amp with great amounts of gain:http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116912/6505%26trade%3B112Combo.cfm

A multi-effects that doesn't suck your tone.http://damagecontrolusa.com/products/glass-nexus/
Okay I wrote down the Peavey combo and also the multi effect. What is the reason a pod sucks the tone out?
Will the Peavey combo be able to have the same distorsion/gain, or atleast something like the insane/metal on the Line 6?
Its probably this sound simulation in the Line 6 I really liked
sweden on tour
Quote by guskarlw
Okay I wrote down the Peavey combo and also the multi effect. What is the reason a pod sucks the tone out?
Will the Peavey combo be able to have the same distorsion/gain, or atleast something like the insane/metal on the Line 6?
Its probably this sound simulation in the Line 6 I really liked

It has more gain than the Line 6. The line 6s gain is digital gain, the 6505 has actual true amp gain. It sounds alot more natural, you'll get the same amount of Br00talz - don't worry. The pod digitalizes your tone, making a tube amp pointless.
Do note that the Glass Nexus is a very expensive multi-effects, but you do get quality.
And ALWAYS try before you buy.
I could give you all the same reasons why I have a 120w tube amp. (its just called a 150 as a name), but the real reason I have it is much simpler.

It was £80
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

There was a time when 100w and more tube amps were needed. But now with sound reinforcement you can mic a lower wattage amp.

Some of its just the market driven. There is a demand for 100w halfstacks, so then somebody sells 120w then 150 etc. Same w 200mph cars people want em so companies make and sell em. Do most of the people who own em need em not really but its a free country and people can buy what they want.

There is a practical side to it. There is a point on the volume dial where the power amp will start to clip and it starts to sound like crap, w SS anyways. Tube are the opposite this is where they start to sound good clipping in them is a pleasant thing unless you dont want it. So if you want more volume at that point without clipping you would then need more watts. There are some out there who have a need for this excess power. Heavy metal guys usually arent looking for power amp clipping so they tend to want higher wattage amps for the headroom.

And many of the features you might want only come in the larger higher wattage version. The demand is out there as there are plenty of people who want those amps but have no need for a 100w power section. It is slowly happening w the smaller amps coming out now. Big watt amp tone in a lower wattage package. But as long as 13 yo kids feel they need a 120w stack amp for bedroom practice they will continue to market and sell the full power half stacks.

For TS tho the 150w spider he is looking at is really 2 75 w amps in stereo, sounds better in the brochure to say 150w. It will sound bad at any volume but people keep buying em so they keep making them, supply and demand. Just like cigarettes we all know they will eventually kill you but people still buy em. So think of spider amps as cigarettes for your ears, you know they are bad for you but hey they are cheap and make you look cool.

Not long ago I saw a web page for a 1000w tube amp. Thats alot of headroom except you would need to have your own island so you could actually take the volume off of 1. And it might make whales beach themselves. But hey who cares about hearing or the environment when your amp is that big.
Quote by Tackleberry
There was a time when 100w and more tube amps were needed. But now with sound reinforcement you can mic a lower wattage amp.

Some of its just the market driven. There is a demand for 100w halfstacks, so then somebody sells 120w then 150 etc. Same w 200mph cars people want em so companies make and sell em. Do most of the people who own em need em not really but its a free country and people can buy what they want.

There is a practical side to it. There is a point on the volume dial where the power amp will start to clip and it starts to sound like crap, w SS anyways. Tube are the opposite this is where they start to sound good clipping in them is a pleasant thing unless you dont want it. So if you want more volume at that point without clipping you would then need more watts. There are some out there who have a need for this excess power. Heavy metal guys usually arent looking for power amp clipping so they tend to want higher wattage amps for the headroom.

And many of the features you might want only come in the larger higher wattage version. The demand is out there as there are plenty of people who want those amps but have no need for a 100w power section. It is slowly happening w the smaller amps coming out now. Big watt amp tone in a lower wattage package. But as long as 13 yo kids feel they need a 120w stack amp for bedroom practice they will continue to market and sell the full power half stacks.

For TS tho the 150w spider he is looking at is really 2 75 w amps in stereo, sounds better in the brochure to say 150w. It will sound bad at any volume but people keep buying em so they keep making them, supply and demand. Just like cigarettes we all know they will eventually kill you but people still buy em. So think of spider amps as cigarettes for your ears, you know they are bad for you but hey they are cheap and make you look cool.

Not long ago I saw a web page for a 1000w tube amp. Thats alot of headroom except you would need to have your own island so you could actually take the volume off of 1. And it might make whales beach themselves. But hey who cares about hearing or the environment when your amp is that big.

+1

Explained perfectly

And about the 13 year old part... Hey i'm actually 29yo and whats so wrong about having a 260watt 3/4 stack in your bedroom
The reason there are 100+ watt amps on the market is this:

Headroom.

My amp is 200W all tube, boutique hand-built etc. The reason that it's 200W is because the headroom in the 200W model is INSANE. It stays clean literally forever. Also, the low end in the 200W model is amazing. Simply just heart pounding. Definitely worth the extra cash in my opinion. The advantage: This guys amps sound like sex at lower volumes as well as higher volumes. I bought my 200W for a reason, and now, honestly, I don't think I'd ever look back.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Darkflame
^well putting the volume at 1 will make your neighbors cry already lol... my 40w tube amp is quite loud at 1, can't turn it on when my family's home

I keep mine at 2-3 whenever I play.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I keep mine at 2-3 whenever I play.

same...i just have earplugs...it helps that I live in the middle of nowhere...but still volume at 2-3...sometimes more...
Quote by Brendan.Clace
same...i just have earplugs...it helps that I live in the middle of nowhere...but still volume at 2-3...sometimes more...

I'm earplugless until I invest in some Musicans Ear plugs..

But i've also got about 30% of my hearing gone so it doesnt bother me. The plugs would just be there to stop it from getting worse..
Quote by IbanezPsycho

But i've also got about 30% of my hearing gone so it doesnt bother me. The plugs would just be there to stop it from getting worse..

bahahaha, comepletely hear ya!...well...kinda

Most of my hearing is gone too...so that's why i started using ear plugs...stop it from getting worse.

What is wrong with a set or Hearos, or a set of Vic Firth -22db drumming muffs?
Quote by IbanezPsycho

Haha, ya, I heard you mention car stereo being a former hobby of yours. Me too. My hearing will never be the same.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
don't forget it's not just guitarists that use amps, it may sound obvious but all amplified sound goes through an amp. The reason you don't need more than 50w in most circumstances is because your amp is then amplified by a PA. This will have a power amp which will be drawing much more power than your guitar amp, maybe about 2000w because they aren't just powering the single 4 speaker cab your head is sitting on but dozens of speaker which are all around the venue, that draws a LOT more power.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by Brendan.Clace
bahahaha, comepletely hear ya!...well...kinda

Most of my hearing is gone too...so that's why i started using ear plugs...stop it from getting worse.

What is wrong with a set or Hearos, or a set of Vic Firth -22db drumming muffs?

Cant make out the nuances so when I play I get all jacked up.. I need to hear the music like it truly is to play well. And most ear plugs are to muffled. With 30% hearing loss and throwing on another -20 to -30 db on top of it im left in the dark. So I need something that is fully adjustable to meet my needs. In ear monitors would be best for me. But I havent had time to research and find the cheapest and best route..

Quote by tubetime86
Haha, ya, I heard you mention car stereo being a former hobby of yours. Me too. My hearing will never be the same.

Yup sitting in 160 db cars from time to time and owning a 140+ db car as a daily driver with no ear plugs was not the best thinking on my part lol. But I was shot from the get go, big hunting family and Cajun thinking that shooting a rifle next to a 4 year old with no hearing protection is fine
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
digital and solid state are the same thing (roughly speaking)

for the record a line6 digital amp WILL be absolute trash unless it's a vetta, flextone or a HD147. please dont buy a spider

Wrong.

Digital means it uses a computer and signal processing to achieve it's sounds.

Solid state means the circuit is designed around transistors. You can make an analog solid state amp like the vast majority of SS amps ever made are. You can make a digital tube amp, like the SpiderValve. In theory you could even make an all tube digital amp... it'll just the the size of a small house.

Also, what you mean to say is... don't buy a Line 6 Spider, except the Spider Valve. Really, except for the Spider 2/3 Line 6 makes pretty decent gear.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by guskarlw
Hi!
After looking up the amp guide, I am curious to ask, why can you buy amps over a certain limit if it does not matter? If a 50W is sufficient and they mick the amp to the house preamp at gigs it would be useless for 120W or even 150W right?

50W of tube is good enough on its own to play larger shows. It's basically as loud as 100W.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
^ Why wouldn't they make a 750W version of the GX-3500 before making that? Mmm 750 watts of transistors.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
^ Why wouldn't they make a 750W version of the GX-3500 before making that? Mmm 750 watts of transistors.

Yeah, they could call it the GX-OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Page 1 of 2