I'm in the market for a tube amplifier. I play a wide range of music but would really like to get a tone like Adam Jones from Tool. Budget:$3000 (including cab). Willing to buy combo or separate head/cab. Prefer new, but would consider used as well. I realize Adam Jones has a very complex rig/sound and that I may be making a tall order. Just looking for best amp that will give me good starting point to build Adam Jones-like sound From what I've already read, looks like my options would include Mesa dual rectifier, road king, or dual rectifier, or trying to find used diezel.

My Gear:
2009 Gibson Les Paul Custom Silverburst - unmodefied
Gibson Melody Maker
Ibanez RG series
Line 6 Spider 3 75 Watt (mistake)
Boss ME 30 multieffects
well it mentioned the diezel but I feel like tool is very effects driven so it might be easier to emulate the effects more than the tone of the amp
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
with 3000(ehh you might need to save up 500 more) you can afford a USED VH-4 (that's what the amp he uses).

he also uses a Vintage Marshall Bass Amp
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I think that a Road King might be your next best bet. I get a convincing Jones tone out of my F-50, and it is said to be voiced somewhere between a Mark and a Recto.

But I would definitely search high and low for a used VH-4. Check out the Harmony-Central Used forums. There are usually a lot of a high end gear on sale there (more so than here at least).
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Clarification: $3000 US dollars.
Was hoping to limit spending to that amount for head/cab or combo. Will definitely keep eye out for used Diezel VH4, but suspect amp head alone will run $3000 and would still have to buy speaker cabinet. Anyone have much experience playing Tool with Mesa roadster combo or solo head? Appreciate everyone's good advice.